• Tweets

• Well you would think that would be the case. Sadly i doubt there is one honest broker within the BPA or IPC and most of their members. they are there to take as much money as they can from motorists regardless of PoFA.   Take the Consideration  period for example. This is a minimum of 5 minutes to allow motorists to find a parking space, read the T&Cs giving them enough time to leave the car park without having to pay if they decide not stay. Simple. Well it would be simple if it were any other company than BPA [or IPC who have now fallen into line with BPA's "reasoning"].  You see if you decide to stay then despite the fact that during the Consideration period when you still weren't classed as parking , once you accept the terms [with all the underhand little tricks designed to trip you up] that five minutes is now included in your parking time. [No not the parking period because the poor dears who ANPR cameras are apparently unable to work out what the exact parking period is since their ever so infallible cameras [yeah right] are incapable of tracking cars once they are in a car park]. After 12 years they still haven't worked out a way of doing it. Some of them fudge and the majority [with a wink fro their ATA [Accredited Trade Association though it should be Discredited Trade Association] just ignore the parking period all together. This is what BPA claim is the Consideration period Entrance grace period: This is for when motorists enter a car park, read the signs and/or attempt to make payment then leave. In these instances, motorists must be offered a reasonable amount of time before an operator takes enforcement action, but we do not define this time, due to the variance in size and layout of car parks. An entrance grace period for a small, permit-only car park could be below 5 minutes, whereas for a large multi-story this could be 15. But  heaven forbid that anyone should leave 6 or 7 minutes after entering  their member's car parks. . They are dutybound to receive a PCN. This is regardless of how busy the car park would be [Christmas eve for example ] .Our minimum is their maximum. Moving on to Grace periods. Again BPA gobble degook. Exit grace period: This must be a minimum of 10 minutes and this is when a motorist intends to stay – for example, if you paid for an hour but spent a total of 1 hour 10 minutes on-site, you will not receive a PCN. It is important to note that the grace period is not a free period of parking however and should not be advertised as such. If that ten minutes in not free parking what is it. their members all think they can send out PCNs for anything after 1 minute after the exact time never mind ten minutes. Our snotty letters have stood the test of time. Do not try to reinvent the wheel -especially with DCBL . They don't even know what a non compliant PCN is for goodness sake! You already know more about PoFA then they do. However if you include that they will find a way to disabuse the Judge of your logic and the law. So don't give them the chance.  I am sure you have the Parking Prankster going on about the rogues misusing the rules on planning permission by lying and stating that they had "retrospective permission". There is no such thing in English law yet Judges were swallowing it until one Judge pulled up Parking Eye about one of their Witness Statements alluding to "rp" by claiming it was "tantamount to perjury".  It wasn't tantamount,it was plain and simple perjury. Parking Prankster: The great private car park planning approval scam PARKING-PRANKSTER.BLOGSPOT.COM Guest blog from shuteyepark, from the Consumer Action group forums In December 2013 my daughter received a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) fro... Hope it wasn't too long winded Nicky Boy.🙂
    • and more immediate issues WT* is the UK doing. Ukraine needs these funds and weapons NOW Lets sincerely hope this isnt another Tory VIPal skimming issue.   MoD accused of ‘go-slow’ with half of £900m Ukraine fund unused | Defence policy | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Delays mean just £404m of the money donated by nine countries has been committed or spent  
    • If everyone who wanted or needed a permit could get one easily how would PCM make any money?    
    • Now I dont agree with some of the detail, and its a bit light on showing detailed analysis, but worth a two minute peruse   Tory wipeout and opposition until 2037 – the future facing a disunited right   https://link.news.inews.co.uk/view/61fb0feaaf01060b825d0999kwaja.7ca/e75bba7e  
    • A mass of Olympic commemorative coins that were issued in 2011, ahead of the 2012 London Olympics. But are any of them worth anything now?View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

help needed regarding benefits and social...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

im not sure if any of this is covered on here, but i need a direction to draft up a letter to help my mother. basically she was on incapacity benefit which ceased in about july last year. they then gave her a month extra, which she didnt realise. then, they sent her a letter saying that they had over paid her and could they have it back please, but they stated in the letter they have no lawful right to request nor force back this payment. because they did not inform her though, and they never released her p60, she has continued to pay tax on the amount that she hasnt recieved since august, and was informed by the inland rev that she can get a rebate, just send them the P60. but the benefits office are refusing to release the P60. she cannot pay them back as she cant afford to and has told them that she will on a goodwill basis once she gets the over paid tax back which she cannot do without the P60 but they are saying no money no P60. is there any way i can make them give her the P60? can they really hold it back by law? they have already admitted in writing they have no right to force the money back...

if this is in the wrong place or no one knows can you redirect me as this is so important to me to help out my mother.

thanks, evee.

Guest weegirl

An employer doesn't actually release P60's to an employee who was not in their employment on the 5 April 2007, so they are talking absolute hogwash about giving you one anyway. They are just trying to get the money back to see if you will be soft enough to pay it.

Basically, the employer fills out a P14 - the manual form is in tripiclate - one of these copies is a P60, so figures are all the same. The 2 top copies go to the Revenue for their records, the P60 goes to the employee. Computerised records are the same. If the employee is not in their employment at the end of the tax year, the HMRC guidelines instruct the employer to scrap the P60.

If she was not receiving incapacity, where was she getting her income from? You mention she was paying tax, so whoever was paying her income at the 5 April 07 is responsible for issuing the P60.

It is silly anyway as the revenue has all of that information. It is standard practice that they ask for the P60, as every employer is compelled by law to issue these returns by the 19 May in the same tax year, but sometimes people do lose these forms and can have proplems getting duplicates, but you can still claim your refund. Everything will be there for them to trace. You could contact the Revenue directly and tell them what the DSS are doing, they will be able to trace your mum's details.

I wouldn't pay them back a penny, if they have already admitted they cannot demand this, they are being very underhand about this, disgraceful.

If you go to HM Revenue & Customs: Contact an Income Tax office for individuals you can do a search for your local HMRC office and ring them direct. Be prepared to get passed around a few places though, they are not very through themselves at times!

Guest weegirl

I forgot to mention, Incapacity doesn't even issue P60's anyway. I don't want to complicate matters, but they are not a business as such. They can issue a statement of what has been paid on a letterhead, if requested, but as already said the Revenue will have this on record.

If your mum got a private pension though, she should have a P60 from the company.

see, she stopped getting incapacity as she went into work - she had had an accident that left her disabled in one arm, but has since started work as a carer. thats why it stopped. but the inland rev charged her tax as if she had a second income - ie. the incapacity benefit that didnt exist. the benefits office should have given her a P60 for 2006 but didnt, and this is what the inland rev want. i guess they are not prepared to do any of the running themselves. thanks for the advice, its helpful, but i really could do with something i can attack them with because as far as the IR are concerned they want a 2006 P60 and the benefits have said they DO have it, but the "computer wont release it until the money is paid back". my mother finds it hard to dal with these things so id love to be able to sort it out.

Guest weegirl

Right, she was taxed by the DSS, that is different. Most benefits are not taxable. This sounds typical of the DSS. You would have thought they would have thought they could easily check that another one of their departments were paying her or not and this wouldn't have happened to start with. And the computer wouldn't release it? If they are telling the truth, then they can't work the computer.

This is an absolute rubbish arguement as I assume that the return has been filed with the Revenue already? All P14 details (the same figures that are on a P60) have to, by law, be returned to the Revenue by the 19 May every year. You can contact the Revenue direct and find out if these have been filed, although they won't tell you direct, you will have to ring and put your mother on the phone to get the details. If the DSS have filed the P14, there is absolutely no reason as to why they will not release the P60 as the figures are exactly the same.

It doesn't matter if your mother owes money or not to the DSS, even if she did pay it back now, it is not standard practice to go into a previous tax year if the returns have already been filed, it will be in this year's tax year so this arguement about not releasing it until it has been paid doesn't add up. The only way that the Revenue will allow an employer to change a return is if there has been an error, but an overpayment is not the same thing - they cannot hold up a return because they are waiting for an overpayment they have no right of demanding in the first place.

This is a legally binding document that your mother has a right to. You can also ask for a statement from the HMRC as to what was paid to your mother and the revenue in that tax year. This will show a breakdown of what employer paid when, gross, net, tax and NIC paid.

This is an Inland Revenue issue, so her refund will be based in ALL of her income in the year of the overpayment, which will include the overpayment, so your mum is not doing anything wrong, don't let the DSS tell you different. They should not be witholding this document, although the refund it is not lost if you don't get it.

The best start would be firstly find out if the P14 has been returned to the Revenue, then to establish one contact in the DSS office, and address all correspondence to that person, otherwise it will be passed from pillar to post. Only deal with this one person on the phone, you may have to pester her a lot to get a result. If the return has been sent, demand the P60 copy, if it hasn't, state that the overpayment will not be paid back, and demand that your mum's file for that tax year be closed, and the returns sent off, involve the Revenue in this also. Your local MP/councillor may be very helpful in a case like this if they won't play ball, a quick phone call or a letter from someone in a position such as this can work wonders.

Guest weegirl

I just realised that I maybe didn't point out the difference in errors on the P14/P60 return enough - An error that the revenue will allow correction on would be, for example, if the DSS put down that your mother was paid £5000 benefits when she actually was paid £3500 - that is a mistake in what she was actually paid. The error in consideration here, the DSS overpayment, it not a error in the eyes of the Revenue - they can still go ahead and fill out the end of year return. The Revenue does not care that she has been overpaid, that is an issue for the DSS and your mother to sort out.

I hope you understand what I mean, I thought this importnat as if my local DSS office is anything to go by, they will say anything to get that money back. They may try and confuse the issue by saying the P14/P60 figures have to be corrected by getting the money back before they file the end of year return - they don't.