• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Won Won Won Won Won

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well - am hoping you'll be able to help me with this ..

I sent a letter (unrecorded, fool that I am .. ) to Barclays on 28th February requesting a comprehensive list of my bank charges, to which I have yet to receive a response. I did email them to enquire as to whether it had been received - they mailed back saying ' Don't know, we'll write to you '.. Hmmm, still waiting on that letter..

Anyway , I have what is called a ' concessionary overdraft ' ( God knows ?!? ) of £500. I have had this for 8 months, never had any problems. Until today. I am £182.00 overdrawn - and am unable to withdraw cash from the hole in the wall. It is telling me ' no available funds ' - which leads me to believe that Barclays have pulled the plug on my overdraft in retaliation. Oh, and charged me £90 over the past 10 days or so for the hell of it.

My question is .. Can they do this ? I have merely asked for a list of charges at this point, using a standard template letter. How bad is this going to get ? !? Feeling kinda despondent already.

Would appreciate any feedback - think my charges will probably be in the thousands .. I'm almost too scared to add it up!

Thanks

Taya

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you send a SAR per that below?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

If no then forget about your previous letter and send this otherwise the bank will give you the run around.

You should then open a parachute bank account somewhere else.

No one has an automatic right to credit, the banks can withdraw the overdraft facility at their discretion.

Read around this site whilst you are waiting, in particular here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Hmmm, yes, very similar letter to that - quoted all the relevant stuff anyway. Christ, can they just ignore letters now ? This is crazy!

Thank you v much for reply.

They should not ignore the letter, wait for the 40 days from 28 February to expire and if they do not respond by then, then post up here again and further advice will ensue.

• Haha 1

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

I can see me being in hock to them to the tune of what I actually ( eventually ... ) receive back, the rate they are flinging £30 charges my way. I'm worried that they will claim not to have received my letter requesting charhes info, so I have to re send - giving them another 40 days.. so, 80 fecking days to respond to my request!! Aaaaaghhhhhh

Hi, Barclays did exactly the same to me when i got to court stage, 2 week b4 xmas and they freeze my account...luckily i had another acc or my 3 kiddies xmas would have been spoilt

jenny

Can I just check what the SAR and CCA timescales actually include. My understanding :confused: is:

SAR request - 40 Calender days (including weekends and Public Hols) ?

CCA request - 12 + 2 Calender days (including weekends and Public Hols) ?

Does the clock start ticking from the day an individual sends the SAR or CCA request (given they will have proof of postage) or from the date the recepient receives the request.

Thanks Boys and Girls !!

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent to NatWest 30 March 07

Statements received 2 May

SAR sent Barclays 30 March 07

SAR sent Barclaycard 30 March 2007

SAR sent RBS 5 April 2007

clock starts from the day they RECEIVE the request.

D.:cool:

Thanks oneofakind !!!

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent to NatWest 30 March 07

Statements received 2 May

SAR sent Barclays 30 March 07

SAR sent Barclaycard 30 March 2007

SAR sent RBS 5 April 2007

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well. Have a question for you.. On the 28th February I sent a template letter to the lovely people at Barclays asking for copies of my charges. It's now 11th April - and I have had zero response. I tried emailing them enquiring as to whether they had received said letter - they mailed back saying that they couldn't say whether they had or not - but they would write to me via snail mail - hmmm.. to date, nothing. They have also reduced my overdraft out of the blue last week from £500 to £250 - which has caused me no end of hassle - so I'm thinking they must have received my request and are playing silly buggers. Oh, and charged me £90 alone this month, due to this reduction.

My question is this .. As over 40 days has passed, do I just re send my letter ? Therefore giving them another 40 days ? Or do I word it stronger ?

Your advice would be appreciated - thanks all in advance.

Taya

Hi Taya,

I am in exactly the same position as you, my 40 days run out tomorrow, and so far have no communication from them. My account went over my overdraft though and for the first time in ages had no charges put on my acct ......mmmmmm

I am sending the 7 day letter on Saturday and will see what happens then,

Good luck x

• Haha 1

Thanks for that.. Letter will be sent to them recorded delivery tomorrow!

Funny that they are not levying charges your way, but flinging them left right and centre my way!

I still have no real idea how much they have charged me over the years. Have a feeling I'll keel over and die when I eventually find out!!

Taya x

hi Taya

again i sent mine in on 16th march and not had so much as an acknowledgement from them.

2 weeks to go then will be sending non-compliance letter.

i think barclays are in reverse on the treadmill!

Hi evry1

Sent my SAR letter to Barclays on 23rd February. Received standard acknowledgement a few days later along with my cheque for £10. Received statements on Tuesday 10 April-about a week over the 40 day deadline. Seems they like to keep us waiting-a bit like the service in my local branch!!!!

Hi everyone. Im coming up to the 40 days since i sent my DPA request and heard nothing. However, i didnt send the request recorded delivery, so when the 40 days are up, do i resend the original request recorded delivery or proceed to sending a non-compliance letter? any help greatly appreciated.

Heather

Hi there,

Hope you're all well.

Barclays have reduced my ' concessionary ' overdraft to £250 from £500 - they did this with no prior notice, so obviously it completely threw me. My problem is this .. On Friday the 20th April I have a total of £316 going into my account - this is made up of payments from child tax credit and housing benefit. I am currently overdrawn by £240. I sent a letter via recorded delivery yesterday advising Barclays that they have 7 days to send me details of my charges or I will obtain a court order obliging them to do so. On receipt of this letter, I have a feeling that they will withdraw the remaining £250 of my overdraft. This will leave me with no money to pay anything - they took a debited £30 yesterday from my tax credit payment as it was!!

I really need the whole amount of this £316.. Is there anything I can do to stop them taking it as a full settlement of the £250 overdraft which they are sure to now pull after my letter to them ?

Thanks in advance everyone

Taya

hi all

i sent my sar on 16th march so with just a week to go to 40 day deadline.

however i have e-mailed them with a query on this matter and recieved a reply stating 'sorry you have cause to complain and this matter will be looked into'. i didn't compain just queried why i haden't had any response to my request!

so here's hoping they make the deadline!!!