• Tweets

• https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
    • Hi everyone.   Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:   Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.   We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.   However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).   I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.   Yours sincerely   James Vallis     At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…   Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous. I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect. If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.   As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages: Introduction and statement of facts Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card Penalty sentencing Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)   Am I guilty? Yes.   Why did I not pay the fare legally? Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.   Why do I not accept a criminal record? I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Should I Buy?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, I have a dilemma regarding whether to buy a new laptop from a company which I am not sure I can trust. Since I am not very expierenced in these things, and I have never been conned before, I am not sure what to do, so hopefully you can help.

A company called "Come Limited" recently "spammed" a forum I visit regularly, with it's prices for various electronics. Here is what they have posted on numerous forums:

edit

The prices are incredibly lower than anywhere else where you can buy these electronics, which had me thinking at first that they were simply a wholesaler. However I e-mailed "Paul Richardson" and he has told me that they are a wholesaler but also sell single items to customers. I have spoken to him online and via e-mail and he has repeatedly told me that they are a reputable company. I have even looked up their business number at ukdata.

The major thing that worries me is that they do not have a website, and so I would be giving them my card details without knowing anything about the company really. The prices seem too good to be true, so I am in limbo as to what to do here.

Please give me advice on whether I should trust this company, I have tried to unearth some information about them, but I still cannot find anything to tell me whether to trust them.

Thanks guys, your help will be greatly appreciated.

William

Ever heard the phrase

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is

I reckon it's a con. If it was a little cheaper than elsewhere, fair play, but loads cheaper, it's more than likely designed to sucker you in. If not, why sell it that much cheaper?

There's one born every minute

My thoughts.

JJS

NOKIA N95 ................................. $230USD

You got to be kidding me, it really does look a little...too good. I would only suggest buying if its collection + inspection of goods before payment. Why are they listing dollars rather then pounds, that nokia is worth £250-£300 and they are listing it for half price

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Well - there is a saying "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is".:)

Their prices will almost certainly be ex-VAT, and they may even not include Duty as well.

However at the end of the day if you pay by credit card and the company is based in UK then you really don't have much to lose

WE DEAL ON EXPORT

Explains why the prices are in dollars and probably why they are so low. Exchange rates from GBP to USD is going pretty good for us right now.

I would be concerned whether or not the merchandise is compatible in the UK though.

Thanks for the replies guys, I won't be going ahead with it, I am only 16 and £300 is a lot of money to lose for me if it is a con. The man I spoke to seemed very pushy and keeps calling me asking me whether I am ready to buy, which makes me even more suspicous. If I lived in london I would go down to their premises but I don't so I am going to leave it. He said they are looking to get a website soon, (another thing which didn't sound quite right) so I might wait until that materializes...

The address given seems to be a mailing address for a multitude of small limited companies - and this firm seems to have spammed an awful lot of forums in the same way - I would be a bit concerned at Mr Paul Richardson using different e mail addresses depending on which country he is targeting the ad at :rolleyes:

It may be effective marketing or a bit of a fly by night - I wonder where their warehouse is? I would hazard a guess and say that stock would be shipped from the US - if at all - would that create problems with voltage differences or other compatibility issues if the units are not UK spec? (sorry - don't know enough about that)

Interestingly I googled a few phrases from the original ad and price list and came up with [LINK REMOVED] Not the same company advertising these items, but if you look at the ad listings for the Apple and Lenovo units they are in the same order and being advertised at exactly the same prices.

Personally I would be wary.

PS - if you do go ahead and it all works as it should, them PM me as I have a son who would dearly love a PS3 and at $180 rather than £430 I might be tempted :p

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Wise move monty! when they start pushing you it always sounds dodgy!. I had a guy who bought my car from amsterdamn who tried to buy my car with a fake cheque! kept phoning me asking when his car was coming!!!! u can never tell till its too late sometimes so its good that u had the common sense to not do it

The address given seems to be a mailing address for a multitude of small limited companies

That in itself is not a cause for concern - it is probably the company's registered office which is likely to be either their accountants or some serviced offices

That in itself is not a cause for concern - it is probably the company's registered office which is likely to be either their accountants or some serviced offices

I completely agree - nothing wrong at all, but it seemed to add to the picture of a UK front for an organisation ostensibly based elsewhere. It just seemed a little messy for a wholesale operation to be advertising so randomly when at those prices they could clean up with a more targeted campaign.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Monty, at the risk of repeating what anyone else has said....

When you said that you were only 16, my stomach dropped. This seller seems to be relying on on your inexperience and is definitely bullying you. No decent trader will pressure you into buying something (in fact, such tactics could well be illegal under the Unfair Commercial Practices dirctive but I shalln't bore you with that).

I hope by now you have got the message that you should not hand over your hard earned cash to this geezer. You will not see it again if you do.

Have you a friend or relative you trust who has bought computers in the past? Or it may be worth asking your employer / teacher etc for advice on where they would go to buy one.

Things may go wrong no matter where you buy from. You want to be sure that you do your homework (no, not from school) before making a purchase and ensure that whoever you buy from will at least still be around for you to complain to.

Good luck.

Thanks for the great advice guys. I never quite trusted this company, but at those prices I figured it might be worth a go. I will definitely not be dealing with them, and will look elsewhere to buy my laptop.

Thanks for the great advice guys. I never quite trusted this company, but at those prices I figured it might be worth a go. I will definitely not be dealing with them, and will look elsewhere to buy my laptop.

excellent! :-D

now you have to deal with the crooks on the high street... :-D

These scams are very common, and feature regularly in the various 419-baiting sites.

ecossewarrior -

Beware of cheap Macs. It's very difficult to get them legitimately for less than you'd pay direct from Apple. Potential difficulties with warranty would put me off buying from other than Apple or an authorised reseller. John Lewis are worth looking at, because they provide a two-year warranty. On the other hand, they don't always have everything in stock, whilst the Apple Stores will often have the latest spec machines first.

These scams are very common, and feature regularly in the various 419-baiting sites.

ecossewarrior -

Beware of cheap Macs. It's very difficult to get them legitimately for less than you'd pay direct from Apple. Potential difficulties with warranty would put me off buying from other than Apple or an authorised reseller. John Lewis are worth looking at, because they provide a two-year warranty. On the other hand, they don't always have everything in stock, whilst the Apple Stores will often have the latest spec machines first.

Quoted for truth, I am going to buy from apple to make 100% sure that I am buying what I want, amazon do them cheaper, but you can't choose your specs as easily, or at all.