Bought a car priavtely but advert lied, do I have any legal rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You should still be able to claim from him if it was marketted as a 4x4 and wasn't one. It would of course help if you could prove that he sold it to you as a 4x4.

Why not right a polite letter to the seller pointing out the problem and see if he volunteers a solution

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to trading standards and a free legal advice helpline.

I can't help but think they are barking up the wrong tree.

They said it would be hard to prove he is a dealer. My evidence so far doesn't prove he is a dealer.?!?!?!?! He may just be a private seller selling cars!!!!

Are they talking out of their jacksie?

Correct Ben Despite what he or others claim he is a trader both in fact & law.

So long as it can be proven. I see the TS are as helpfull in your area as they are in mine.

Not sure if it's of use but would it be worth chasing him through the small claims, even just threatening?

What i think they are saying BenScoobert is that they can't be arsed doing anything because they would have to do some work, you havn't given them everything on a platter.

Reading through the thread i think you have lost your money, your Ebay bargain has turned out to be a lemon, the only thing i can think of is the small claims court who might just look differently on the amount of vehicles he is selling and class him as a trader.

Taking him to court in any other way could cost you a fortune.

I hope you resolve the matter because there is nothing worse than buying what you think is "privately" and then finding out he is a trader, good luck.

TS appear to be a mixed bunch, but to do them justice it is possible that what they are thinking about is proving in the criminal sense (i.e. beyond reasonable doubt) as opposed to the civil sense (balance of probabilities).

I would say the fact his name was not on the V5 is pretty strong evidence that he is dealing, irrespective of his demonstrable history on ebay.

Furthermore of course, even if he is a private seller he is still responsible for misrepresenting the vehicle (but not necessarily for it not being fully roadworthy)