Benefits for deceased father.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5188 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help! My father died of lung cancer 5 weeks ago and I have tried to investigate the possibility of getting a funeral payment/grant or some other financial help. I have been advised by DWP that as his next of kin I will not get any help because I work full time and not on any benefits. He had his own council flat which the rent was paid until he passed away but came to live with me when diagnosed with illness. He was repatriated back to Ireland to be buried.

Someone did mention that I might be able to get some sort of tax benefit becuase of the contribution he paid during his working life. He was on Pension Credit for the last two years.

Any advice appreciated.

Steph icon9.gif

I've just been through this having lost my father in May, mum survived him. He was on DLA and pension credit with an allowance for mum, I filled in the application for the funeral expenses for her thinking it would be straightforward - wrong - because she has not yet been awarded pension credit in her own right they declined the claim. She has claimed pension credit in her own name but 9 weeks on no decision as yet so the funeral expense claim was declined - although she can resubmit when she hears about pension credit as long as it is within 3 months of his death....like we need this extra hassle.

I suspect that you will not be able to claim anything as you are not on benefits. Have you spoken to your funeral director about it? They may be able to advise.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have already spoken to the funeral director and he didn't think I would be entitled to anything. If I was on Benefit I would be able to claim the whole funeral cost - laughable I think.

Steph

Hi - I took this as far as I could when my Mum died 4 years ago. I was on Carer benefit as was looking after her full time as she died. I made the mistake of paying off the funeral bill because Natwest said I could not get the money in her account to pay the other bills etc outstanding until I paid the funeral bill. SO I paid the funeral bill andthen applied (I guess in hindsight it does sound silly) but they turned me down as said I had money to pay it. I appealed and explained to the man who I had to go and see for my appeal that I had a lot of bills to pay and that was just one and my hand had been forced. He said no, jobsworth, if you paid it you can't reclaim it. VERY strict. He was very sympathetic personally actually but said that there was no way the rule could work the way I wanted it to.

My Dad died a few weeks ago and I am now looking into whether we can reclaim his bank charges. He was about to start the process as he has been badly overcharged. I am hopeful that we can do this as lovely and so sad (step) Mum needs all the support she can get. Because they lived overseas for many years they have hardly any pension and because Dad was a wonderful and bold entrepreneur and risk taker whose last venture sadly didn't work as planned, there is not that much left to support her.

Any advice much appreciated xx Debs