Just when I thought it was all over!

gem77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Thought I wouldnt need to start a new thread here after winning with capital one but guess what here I am again.

Hope some one can help me with this one or at least spread some light on the situation.

Our balance has been £0 for the last 8 months or so and the card hasn't been used however this months statement lands on my door step today and I now owe them £68.54.:o

How I hear you all say.....

Annual fee £18 (ok thats fair enough we have paid this every year and were aware of it)

Card Protection £50.00 :o what on earth is this all about!?! I checked through all my statements (which I have all nicely together for when I claimed back my charges) to see if we had actually paid this each year but low and behold no we hadnt. We did pay £29 card protection when the account was first opened back in June 2001 but nothing since until now. and to add insult to injury they have slapped on 54p payment protection for it.

We haven't had any phone calls or letters lately about signing up for card protection but i think I recall my hubby agreeing to it when the card was first issued back in 2001. Can they actually do that nothing for 6 years then charge us £50 which is almost double the original amount without hubbys consent (it's his account) or autherisation? This just doesnt seem right to me.

Hubby is going to try to phone them tonight to get it removed but just wondered where we stand if they object. Would we have a case?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Gem:)

Hi gem,

Until somebody advices you more fully, I'd be inclined to phone them tonight and explain the circumstances and demand a full refund. It may be worth asking them to produce an original signed agreement stating that you agreed to the card protection as well. I'd also be inclined to ask why (if they haven't taken this amount off you each year) they've suddenly decided to debit your credit card now.

Sorry I can't help further - hopefully someone on this forum will be able to advise you fully. Best of luck :)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Thanks Hedgey. Will get hubby to ring them tomorrow. Apparently they are open 7 days a week.

You seem to get one problem sorted just to full into another one. suppose thats life.

Thanks again

Gem

Phoned Capital one last night said we had to contact the card protection company so we did. They said it was an automatic renewal and a letter would have been sent out. The amazing thing is they didnt even have our correct address even though we have lived there for 5 years and have recieved all our Capital one letters and statements since we moved in.

They then said they didnt think they could refund it so my hubby turned up the pressure a bit and they have agreed to retract it.

Apparently the payment protection isnt to do with them and I am a bit concerned that i may have interest added on my next statement. ok so it will only be for pennies but they are still my pennies.

Thought i would send a cheque to them for the £18 annual fee with a letter stating that I do not expect to pay any payment protection or interest therefore my statement next month will show £0.

Could anyone just clarify that that is the right thing to do please?

Many Thanks

Gem