• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Time for a complete boycott of bailiffs?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having read even more horror stories on this site, I am wondering whether the most effective course of action may be that everyone refuses to have anything whatsoever to do with bailiffs?

Remember the Poll Tax - and how effective direct public action was?

I'm not advocating violent protests etc - simply saying that, whatever the contact from the bailiff, simply ignore it - and deal ONLY with the Council.

Make payments ONLY to the Council / write ONLY to the Council / discuss matters ONLY with the Council etc?

As long as you are offering to pay (and by dealing with the Council you are dealing with the people who are owed the money anyway) - I cannot see any comebacks?

Remember also - unless we get this situation sorted before the dreaded new TCE Bill becomes law - the bailiffs will get extra powers and lots of extra opportunities for breaking the law.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent idea !!...

Although, I cannot understand one thing, with this site. People moan and speak with no or little respect for a lot of these bailiffs, yet nobody is ever prepared to name or shame them ??

Why ??

I know they read the site, but if they are acting unprofessionally they should be named.

Law Pack & Small Claims Procedures Ordered Via site :) received 26/10/2006 I thank you :)

Claiming contractual @ £1.40per day ;) take your time Mr West

Can't wait to donate my 5%............. :)

Excellent idea !!...

Although, I cannot understand one thing, with this site. People moan and speak with no or little respect for a lot of these bailiffs, yet nobody is ever prepared to name or shame them ??

Why ??

I know they read the site, but if they are acting unprofessionally they should be named.

The problem with "naming" could be that people are not exactly telling the truth (entirely !).

Much better to let the Courts deal with the facts and let the rumours etc stay where they are !

Guest lipupfatty

what about magistrate bailiffs, high court bailiffs would you get rid of the lot and what would the alternative be?

what about magistrate bailiffs, high court bailiffs would you get rid of the lot and what would the alternative be?

One thing at a time, please !

There are so many different rules applying to different bailiffs etc - that its better to get one thing "out of the way" before trying to tackle them all at once.

Guest lipupfatty

bailiffs more or less do the same thing, just the thread is titled " time for a complete boycott of bailiffs":confused:

Hi, i am with you on this one watcher. I have had dealings with a couple of high court enforcement officers. And to be quite honest they have been nothing but courteous to me. And have also given me time to pay the debt back. This was after a ccj. I did try to pay but due to circumstances the payments were sporadic. Hence they were called. It is the other bailiff companies i would be happy to boycott and only deal with the council direct. In fact that is what i am trying to do now.

And naming and shaming here would leave the site wide open to libel, lawsuits and the like. And i for one would be devastated if the site had to close down. It helps so many people.

Ive found that a lot of them have the same name any way, I often wonder if they are related in some way or another:rolleyes:

Guest lipupfatty
Hi, i am with you on this one watcher. I have had dealings with a couple of high court enforcement officers. And to be quite honest they have been nothing but courteous to me. And have also given me time to pay the debt back. This was after a ccj. I did try to pay but due to circumstances the payments were sporadic. Hence they were called. It is the other bailiff companies i would be happy to boycott and only deal with the council direct. In fact that is what i am trying to do now.

high court enforcement officers are the worst when coming to charging fees and being over zealous with removals

maybe we should all march on downing street, could you imagine it all the people that bailiffs have p**sed off marching on downing street... the street would be full

It's the "divide and rule" system that allows them to get away with what they do.

Too many people want to "hush things up" and not admit to having had bailiffs.

The debt explosion in the UK (which is about to happen) will change all that !!!

Do you think that there are any good bailiffs, that dont over charge that dont threaten that actually play fair and go by the book. Most of them think that if you have a debt you are a bad person and should be treated like one. Ive found that most councils act this way too. OK I can appreciate that there are people out there that stick two fingers up to their debt and hope that they can get away with it and often deserve to be dragged through the courts etc, but mostly it is people who cannot afford these charges, who gives these bully boy thugs the right to threaten innocent people, rob them of what little money and property they have to line their own pockets, harass old people, and single mums living on a pittance. How do these thugs sleep at night knowing that they have furnished their homes on others people misery. These people in most cases are heartless thugs that really get a kick out of making vulnerable peoples lives a complete nightmare, I often think its an ego thing, maybe its the only thing that they would ever get up for and to be honest the only job that they can do because they like the feel of being in authority and its the only job where they get that satisfaction. I wonder how they would feel if it was their mother, sister, brother or close family member that had been visited by some one unlike themselves, oh no wait they are probably all in 'the business' and stick together:rolleyes: well like I have said earlier they all seem to have the same name :razz:. these bullies should be named and shamed for breaking the 'rules' at least people will be aware of what these people are like and be on thier guard.

That's why I say that the ONLY way to deal with them is simply to refuse to have anything to do with them.

Any monies that they collect - genuine or not - go to line their own pockets FIRST - before the Council gets any of it's dues back - so the Councils can hardly say that it's the quickest and most effective method, can they?

We have all seen cases where the Council has "taken the debt back" (if pressured enough !) - so once Councils get the message that we will simply NOT deal with bailiffs, a more direct and efficient method of collecting money due will become apparent.

I've never seen a more ludicrous system - which encourages fraud and deception and rarely produces the goods for the creditor.

If someone was facing bailiffs then the very best advce that I can give them is to give up their jobs immediately and get on benefits - as that way the amount enforceable is clear and deducted at source - and the bailiffs don't have a leg to stand on.

Quite a ridiculous situation, isn't it?

What other way is there of collecting unpaid taxes?

If the threat of bailiff action wasnt there then people would most certainly not pay their taxes. Councils cannot afford to begin committal proceedings on all non-payers. Prisons are overcrowded anyway.

what other methods of debt recovery do you think would work? are there any other methods that would give such good results at no cost to the Council? I cant think of any method that will result in quck, full payments of debts.

If the threat of bailiff action wasnt there then people would most certainly not pay their taxes. Councils cannot afford to begin committal proceedings on all non-payers. Prisons are overcrowded anyway.

what other methods of debt recovery do you think would work? are there any other methods that would give such good results at no cost to the Council? I cant think of any method that will result in quck, full payments of debts.

So you agree that bulling people into paying a debt is the right way to go, charging extortionate fees that people quite simply cant afford to pay, clamping cars that people need to use for work or clamping disabled cars that some people need to carry on with their everyday lives, threatening people with bankruptcy for a £75 debt, threats of prison to people that really cant afford to pay the debts. Half the time the councils dont get their money until the bailiff has taken his chunk, yeah way to go you:roll:

You say >> but that isn't the quickest way - the bailiffs have their cut first and only pass onto the Council money collected AFTER their fees have been paid.

If goods are removed for sale - they rarely fetch enough to cover the bailiff fees - and result in NO return for the Council at all !

Other methods of recovery could include deduction from earnings (by the employer). It's already a fact that if someone is on benefits then the Council only get a small amount - set by law - and paid direct by the benefits office.

You suggest prisons as a further "punishment" (as it certainly isn't a method of enforcement) - in such cases the Council do not get paid at all - and it costs (substancial amounts) to send a person to prison !

The present system lines the pockets of the bailiffs - and encourages mis-behaviour by them (and certainly does not benefit the Council).

So you agree that bulling people into paying a debt is the right way to go, charging extortionate fees that people quite simply cant afford to pay, clamping cars that people need to use for work or clamping disabled cars that some people need to carry on with their everyday lives, threatening people with bankruptcy for a £75 debt, threats of prison to people that really cant afford to pay the debts. Half the time the councils dont get their money until the bailiff has taken his chunk, yeah way to go you

You dont seem to understand that not all bailiffs are bullies etc.etc This site is for people who have had trouble with such bailiffs, which are a minority, therefore misrepresenting the facts. I am not denying are condoning such practices however, malpractice occurs in practically ever profession.

I was asking for suggestions as to what other methods could be used, you clearly missed the point.

You say >> but that isn't the quickest way - the bailiffs have their cut first and only pass onto the Council money collected AFTER their fees have been paid.

Thanks for answering watcher. I agree with your statement but its not always that way, some councils want paying first. Obviously the bailiffs will want their money first as they are private companies and there is a risk of not recieving their money if they do not operate this way.

If goods are removed for sale - they rarely fetch enough to cover the bailiff fees - and result in NO return for the Council at all !

Goods should not be removed unless they can cover the debt. However, because goods are sold at public auction you cannot be certain of their value.

Other methods of recovery could include deduction from earnings (by the employer). It's already a fact that if someone is on benefits then the Council only get a small amount - set by law - and paid direct by the benefits office.

Most councils will try for an AOE before passing the case onto the bailiffs. and still if a person is on a low income or is paid in cash then the debt will not be recovered quickly. Also there is an administrative cost to the council for doing this whereas there isnt with bailiffing.

Councils should not be passing cases where people are on benefits to the bailiffs.

You suggest prisons as a further "punishment" (as it certainly isn't a method of enforcement) - in such cases the Council do not get paid at all - and it costs (substancial amounts) to send a person to prison !

Thats what i was implying, prison is no good but if the threat of prison was there then people are more likely to pay their taxes, fines etc.

The present system lines the pockets of the bailiffs - and encourages mis-behaviour by them (and certainly does not benefit the Council).

I see where you're coming from but my personal opinion is that bailiffs must be beneficial to the council, they collect around a BILLION in unpaid debts each year. Thats more than a couple of hospitals!

I don't share your enthusiasm that there are "good bailiffs out there" - there is a wealth of evidence to the contrary.

What KIND of person would want such a job anyway?

Dont forget that its only the bad ones we ever hear about. Nobody is going to compliment a bailiff for taking money off them! its not a nice job but somebody has to do it! the problem is that the only people who want to do it are people who think they're something or have a chip on their shoulder etc. probably got bullied at school or something.

please dont get me wrong, i'm not defending bad bailiffs. just trying to bring a balanced arguement to the thread. and also get other people alternatives to bailiffing.

The answer is not to get rid of baliffs but to introduce much stricter legislation. If a baliff turns up on someone's doorstep they should before anything else have to provide a photo id that proves they are licienced and have to provide a copy of the court docs as well plus a full statement breaking down exactly what is owed and to whom. There ought to be a ombardsman or some kind of body that can slap high fines on baliff companies that breach the rules and can remove a companies right to operate as soon as they prove to be "dodgy" The fees shouold be set down in law and they should be have to provide more proof of their attendances for example an rd letter with a time to call first to give the debtor an opportunity to arrange a better time to call/or arrange to be in.

There should also be set fees at a reasonable rate NOT 200 a visit.

If a baliff arranged a time to call ahead and had all the documentation plus a fair fee, most people would arrange a payment plan there and then. No right of access should be given without a return to the court and a further chance for the debtor to address the judge and should have to be accompanied by a police officer trained in how to deal with these issues not just to be on the baliffs side.

ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

Dont forget that its only the bad ones we ever hear about.

Yes - millions of examples ! Are there ANY good examples, anywhere?

the problem is that the only people who want to do it are people who think they're something or have a chip on their shoulder etc. probably got bullied at school or something.

Exactly ! Bully Boys !!! So, what makes YOU think there are any good ones (given your own definition of them)?

please dont get me wrong, i'm not defending bad bailiffs. just trying to bring a balanced arguement to the thread. and also get other people alternatives to bailiffing.

These people PREY on the vulnerable - and squeeze every last penny out of them (quite unconcerned whether the children get fed, etc !)

They are like fleas on a dog - draining every last drop of blood (for their own advantage).

I stand by my post - let's ALL refuse to have anything to do with them.

The Councils will soon get the message - and often "take debts back" anyway - so do, and can, find alternative methods !!

They do it because the profits are enormous..

As much as i agree with the concept of " carpet blanking " the bailiffs, i fear you will be fighting a losing battle.

Have you ever noticed that if you ever deal with a bailiff, instructed to act on behalf of a GOVERMENT agency, I.E. Council tax, CSA, Parking fine, Traffic offence, etc etc, You stand little or no chance.

A blanking will just enforce greater powers sooner. But good luck anyway..

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

I agree with tonycee. More strict legislation is needed. boycotting bailiffs is just going to get the councils back up which will result in more committal proceedings as it shows a refusal to pay. encouraging a boycott is a bad idea.

It appears to me that there are certain people on this site who are very narrow minded and just because they have been upset by a bailiff think it is reasonable to attack the industry as a whole.

people fail to see the bigger picture which is that taxes must be paid. why should i pay my taxes and you not pay yours? what makes you different from everybody else? it's obvious that the people on here arent as badly off as they make out. they can still afford internet access.

They do it because the profits are enormous..

A blanking will just enforce greater powers sooner. But good luck anyway..

Thanks, mate.

I look at it this way ... you either make a stand - or you give-in to the rob dogs.

I suggest everyone makes contact with the Council and makes it clear that they will ONLY deal with them !

If the Council refuse to discuss a payment arrangement - then it's the Council who are refusing to accept payment - NOT the other way round.

If you "lie down" - you will be treated with contempt.