Getting decent builders/gardeners

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due in no small part to this site, we will soon have enough money to start renovating our house.(big thankyou!)

But as neither me or my husband has EVER had to deal with contractors, other than the odd plumber or electrician in an emergency, we are TERRIFIED!

You hear so many horror stories (especially on this site).

I understand we need to get a few quotes, but we want a garage conversion and an extension- should we get an architect? We need a new kitchen- apart from avoiding B&Q, is there any other kitchen suppliers to avoid?

Any help would be welcome- even if its who to avoid- and recommendations from the Liverpool area would be doubly so.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Guest weegirl

After renovating a house a few years ago, I personally found the best way was from personal recommendations from people I knew, and could see the work that was done.

Still had a few setbacks though, people not turning up etc, but that is to be expected.

Get a written quotation for EVERYTHING. Friend of mine bought a new house off a contracter at a set price, then asked for a couple of minor extras - plug in the kitchen for the dishwasher, outside tap, etc. She got a bill for £5k, it should have been about a fifth of that. She went to her solicitor and was told as she had nothing in writing, she would have a fight on her hands.

Don't pay until the job is done, or if it is a big job, pay in installments as they work. The only money I have ever given up-front was for a landscape gardener to get the bricks for my patio - I went with him and paid for it, then got it delivered to my house. At least if he cleared off, I still had my stuff for someone else to lay it down.

Every person I've asked for a recommendation, their builder is retired or no longer working!

I think I've got a gardener though.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .