Used car- Been screwed?

Duckie2

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5507 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, I just found this site and it seems like a cool forum!

I am hoping that this is the right place to post this?

Basically I bought a used car the weekend before last. It was a good deal and the guy (private seller) seemed very nice and respectable (retired accountant).

I just took it in for a service and they have quoted me £1500 for various repairs, including shocks all around and tyres (the tyres I was expecting).

With only 30000 miles on the clock the car must have had some serious punishment to need new shocks all round, he said he had been just doing around town driving and had towed his small caravan a couple of times.

Obviously I am a bit miffed, do I have any legal standing or do I have to cough up myself? I'm not too worried about the cash, the car was very reasonable anyway and the extra cost brings it nearly up to the parkers used price, I'm just a bit cheesed off with the guy!

Any advice for me?

Many thanks,

Adam

That seems a huge amount. We have a great local vaux dealership and a good local mechanic and maintain our vauxhall via hubby doing a bit and using the local mech and dealership dependant on the prices they quote. Our local dealership fitted 4 good quality tyres for around £200. So that leaves you with a shocks bill of over 1k which is crazy. Have a look round the internet and get some prices for signum shocks. Can't see it taking more than a couple of hours to fit them surely? Might be worth ringing round a few local garages to get prices to compare as well.

good luck

ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

BTW in regards to your first question re the sale from what I understand and what I have read on here if it is a private sale you have few consumer rights, it's a buyer beware type situation, but I am sure a mod will be able to advise you more on that side of things.

good luck

ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

ok heres the test: lean on each corner of the car to compress the suspension, then release if the car rises then falls, the suspension is becoming worn.

Look at your receipt for the vehicle... does it say "sold as seen"?

If so then the seller is protected against every form of comeback i can think of, failing that you'd have to prove he lied to you when asked about the condition i think:( even then, its almost unheard of.

I'm nota vauxhall buff im afraid, but is your car model a rare one? if so thats a small explanation of the price, also its new-ish so patent parts might be in low availability right now, the dealers price will take advantage of that;)

Hi Guys, I just found this site and it seems like a cool forum!

I am hoping that this is the right place to post this?

Basically I bought a used car the weekend before last. It was a good deal and the guy (private seller) seemed very nice and respectable (retired accountant).

I just took it in for a service and they have quoted me £1500 for various repairs, including shocks all around and tyres (the tyres I was expecting).

With only 30000 miles on the clock the car must have had some serious punishment to need new shocks all round, he said he had been just doing around town driving and had towed his small caravan a couple of times.

Obviously I am a bit miffed, do I have any legal standing or do I have to cough up myself? I'm not too worried about the cash, the car was very reasonable anyway and the extra cost brings it nearly up to the parkers used price, I'm just a bit cheesed off with the guy!

Any advice for me?

Many thanks,

Adam

What were the others repairs quoted for?