please help bailiff called me this morning demanding full amount by thursday!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

well in july i had a letter from equita about the unpaid council tax i owed, around the sum of £1000 went and paid £300 at my LC office so now outstanding is £649 plus any bailiff fee's added on!!!

the bailiff told me he was going to call at my address to remove goods in a weeks time so i waited and waited hid the car locked all windows and doors etc but he never called.

but now over 3 months later i ahve had a hand delivered letter (because i didnt answer the door) stating he would be back in 24 hrs for payment in full or he will remove goods whther i am in or not.

i know i have been naughty in not paying anymore off the debt in the last 3 months.

i am now nearly 3 months pregnant and could do without the stress and ideas or advice on what i can do to get me out the sticky situation.

£3890 successfully claimed from halifax (joint acc)

still personal halifax natwest lloyds to go!!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to hear they are back Jen, but they do not go away and are usually ready to come back if you do not follow the arrangement with them to the letter, (this could of course be down to admin errors, missing post and so on also), how did things end before, did you get the council to take back the debt, or contact the local ombudsman, let us know so we can help.

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

please read new thread as less replys to read through and new update!!

waited for bailiff to call and 3 months later knocking my door!!

where is it?

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

okay found it! I would re read the advice from before, and some of the other bailiff info and make your complaint to the council, try to get the council to take back the debt from the bailiff as the bailiff will be much harder to negotiate with and will add charges galore.

well i didnt really get left like anything i paid the £300 down at the LC office which reduced the debt to £649 the bailiff was supposed to call the following week but never did so thats how it got left!! a few letters from equita stating they would hand the debt back to LC and advice them to start prison preceedings but never heard anymore until today when he knocked on the door!!

yep i have read all the reply threads from my last lot and am back in the know. i did try and get the LC to take back the debt before but had no luck what so ever they just said it was out of there hands and showed me the door. i have been waiting for them to pass back the debt after 3 months i thought they would of done. my idea was as he can only charge me for one more call which i suppose will be tomorrow i would ignore him go out or something making sure all windows and doors are locked!! then wait for them to return the debt to LC not sure if that is the right thing to do though!!

Hi Jen, I would start with that letter from Equita stating they would hand the debt back to LC, once the council is dealing with it, then it is not up to the bailiff to decide anything about the next action. you negotiate with the council, they have tried to get a bailiff to collect but the bailiff has in effect handed it back to them to deal with, (this may not be what they have done, they say all kinds of stuff to frighten people re the prison bit)?!?

however, speak to the council, take the letter with you if you have it and say you need to make an arrangement to pay, I would complain if they do not enter into a meaningful discussion with you.

I have said this a million times and i dont mind another million times saying it :-

COUNCIL TAX AND BAILIFF.

Bailiffs

** Credentials **

10 Years Finance Fraud Investigator

5 Year High Court Sheriffs

2 Years Tip Staff Royal Courts

Currently : HMCS Enforcement Officer

well just got the letter out of the debt folder!! and actually it states

equita certificated bailiffs have beeb instructed to seize your goods and sell them at public auction in order to discharge the above debt.

to date, you have failed to settle the outstanding amount and unless full payment is received immediately we shall have no alternative but to recommend to our client that committal to prison proceedings is commenced against you.

dated 16/07/2007

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 02 Bailiffs And Council Tax

have a read of this link, you may have seen it before but it will help you feel a bit less stressed right now and organise your thoughts, LOCK UP and work out a plan of action:)

I have said this a million times and i dont mind another million times saying it :-

COUNCIL TAX AND BAILIFF.

Bailiffs

what is that ment to mean????

Hi Jen, they are a bit confused on their rights! it is not up to them to commence prison proceedings, this is the very last thing a council might consider, you are not at that stage (in my opinion), but they sound like they are not intending to hand it back to the council so I would show the letter to the council and ask them to clarify if indeed the debt is coming back to them, but ask for that, there is no reason why they cannot take it back but they will argue they cannot, this is where you need help from the local government ombudsman because of the way that some councils are interpreting and actioning the collection of council tax, the problem is that they will all say they are doing what they have to by law, but there is alot of double speak in this, you have to be aware you can ask for help.

COUNCIL TAX AND BAILIFF.

Bailiffs are out to make money, the privates would lie and cheat their way through as clearly demonstrated on Whistleblower.

Advice :-

What ever you can afford just pay the council direct, write to them with your proposal, and what ever you propose send the first payment in.

The council has to by Law credit your account with the amounts paid, it makes no difference.

The reason the council is showing you the door or refusing to accept your deal is because, the bailiff and council have an agreement, that is to say, the council refers your case to the bailiff, and the bailiff charges what he wants, on condition that the council to do not interfe with the process of the bailiff making money, in essence so as the bailiff does not get upset and throw a strop, the council say "sorry deal with the bailiff". The bailiff in return knows the council won't back you, so he then has the "authority" to hound you.

But if you start paying the council the installments, the amount claimed by the bailiff instantly becomes incorrect, and therefore he/say would need to adjust it and demand less on every visit, thats of course if he does not bump it up on every visit.

Even if you get called into court or if the Council want to make you bankrupt, the council would need to explain to the judge why they refused your reasonable offer, at least by offering payments and actually making them no matter how big or small, would show your intention that you are making an effort, and perhaps in turn that would prove the council are just being bloody minded.

Also remember that the council dont want to interfe with the bailiff because "who would pay the expenses incured by the bailiff".

Although the bailiff has the right to collect the expenses from you because it becomes part of the warrant, but lets face it, which bailiff is going to bother, the truth is most will swallow the fees, and go onto the next defenceless baby seal, Thats of course if you had paid off all your outstanding bill, excluding the bailiffs fee's.

Pay what you can put it in writing, and remember the Council can Recall the warrant from the Bailiff.

** Credentials **

oh boy, thats so right, its the bailiff and coucil tea party! seriously, I was in a bad position like this not so long ago, I contact the LGO in the end, the debt was taken back and the charges by the bailif disappeared! I sent them a letter using advice from CAG, asking them to explain and list all the charges or I would take action against them, suddenly I was in the driving seat, Jen, hope this helps.

Oh sorry about the small post i must of acidentally posted the begining.

If some moderator could delete it as its pointless the small print that is timed at 11.33

** Credentials **

If some moderator could delete it as its pointless the small print that is timed at 11.33

You can do it by Edit/deleting/save.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

but now over 3 months later i ahve had a hand delivered letter (because i didnt answer the door) stating he would be back in 24 hrs for payment in full or he will remove goods whther i am in or not.

Might want to report the bailiff for exaggerating his powers. Unless you've let him in once before, they cannot take goods if you are not in unless you are silly enough to leave your door or a window open

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

dont worry all windows and doors are locked curtains drawn and blinds down. i have not let him in before so i do know my rights and he will not be gaining entry throw me.

Hi Jen, that is good but do remember if it goes quiet it is not because they or the council have forgotten, the bailiffs leave a gap of a few weeks and then just come back, it is their opportunity to add charges again, you need to get a written reply from the council,

ask how much you owe in a statement of the account for all the relevant years

complain about the fact that they will not take it back if they are still refusing to do so

complain about the bailiff to them and their association(who probably wont help much but it will be on record)

make payments to the council no matter how small so you can also show the court (last resort) you are willing to pay

best wishes Jen:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

OMG my mum had the bailiff man come round a few weeks ago she let him in and he wrote down some if the stuff we have in our house. We asked if we could do a payment plan to pay off our old council tax debits that were about £1000 in total and he said that would be ok. Then he came around today demanding £1200 in cash with 24 hrs or he would remove our goods. We have all been crying and cannot sleep its just me my mum and my little sister, I am 19 and a student nurse so cannot pay him the money. When we asked why we had not recived a payment plan that they were going to set for us he said 4 letters had been sent to us, but we never got any letters ! I'm soo upset I keep crying and crying he is scaring me and my sister. I dont know what to do I don know how to post a thread on here to ask for help I'm worried my mum might have a break down she said to the bailiff she would have to kill herself as we do not have the money I am a student and my mother only earns a small amount as she works at the old folks home please help anyone