Changes to Direct Debit System?

Guest weegirl

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest weegirl

I just received an email from the Halifax about my account about a charge on my account. I was very surprised about this as I am very careful about these things. Checked it out, and it seems I have been charged for a direct debit that they cleared even though the funds were not in my account, even though I had the money lodged on the same day.

It has always been the case that companies would always try and take the money 2 or 3 times in the day, the Halifax always put mine through and as long as I lodged the cash before the close of business on the same day, there were no charges incurred.

I telephoned the call centre and the customer service advisor informed me that the system has changed - the independent company that runs the direct debits has changed the system and they will only try once for the money, which is first thing in the morning. If the money is not there, I will be charged.

He did reverse the charge as a goodwill gesture (makes no odds, as I would have claimed it back anyway), but it seems a bit odd that the system has changed like this. Is is true? Or was he talking nonsense? It also doesn't answer the question that the Halifax has changed their tactics as well - they no longer are giving people to the close of business on the same day but trying to charge straight away.

Hi - I'm with Halifax too and if the money isn't in the account the day before a dd is due, it won't be paid. I just have a basic account though. It's always been the case with this account.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek: