Me vs Barclays - Help appreciated

thedaddy1971
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone.

Wonderful site but a bit too much information to take in :), I have tried to find the answer to my query but to no avail.

I was wondering whether anyone could help me with my ongoing dispute with Barclays. I originally requested charges to be returned to me to the value of £2800 but Barclays have just offered a partial at £1950.

Is it possible to request an increased offer prior to me taking them to court as to be honest I cant afford to wait another 3months in getting them to court.

Are there any known cases of other members requesting an increased offer on the basis of reducing overall costs for the banks (ie interest and court charges).

Any input would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi thedaddy and welcome to CAG! :)

Ah, if life were so simple that you say no thanks, I'd like more/full amount and the bank replied Oh okay, go on then ... cos it's yours anyway and we'll end up giving it back anyway.

That's the fantasy answer but in reality, few get a higher offer (some do), and when you send back one of the rejection letters accepting offer as partial payment, the bank normally withdraw the offer anyway.

I take it the offer was made as a gesture of goodwill and requires you to sign a confidentiality letter?

Either send back a rejection letter and expect the offer to be withdrawn and you will go onto make a claim OR accept the offer if you really really need the money right now OR give them a ring but don't expect them to react to your negotiation positively ... but absolutely nothing to lose except the price of a call. Have yet to hear of a bank withdrawing the offer because someone has tried to negotiate a higher deal :)

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Hi Thedaddy,

From reading all the threads here, the thing you see most is Barclays being (the most) difficult and taking their cases right to the end, then settling at the 11th hour.

They may see your attempt to negotiate further as a sign that you don't want to go the distance, so won't take you seriously.

Worth a try maybe but, if you want the full refund plus interest, you'll have to hang on in there a while.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks a lot for the feed back, I assumed it would be down to a matter of choice. The problem lies in finances and the fact I can't really afford the court costs due the fact I am over my overdraft :-x . This is down to Barclays continuing to charge their extortionate fees, even whilst this is going on.

A part of me says take them all the way and also claims back the fees they taken between my last letter and their offer as well as interest but yet again, another part says I should accept the £1950 as it is a lot better than nothing.

What I was wondering was,is it possible to threaten with court action, ie send Barclays a letter or email showing me going forward with proceedings eg a query from a website without me paying, or indeed is there a way of issuing proceedings and paying back after the event, although I do realise that this is a long shot?

Many thanks again.

Hi thedaddy

The only thing I can suggest is that you check out Court Fees - do you have to pay them?

to see whether or not you are exempt from paying the court fee.

"

You will be exempt from paying a fee if:

• You or your partner receive the benefit Income Support. Partner means someone to whom you are married, or in a civil partnership with; or someone who you live with as if you are married to them or in a civil partnership.
  • You or your partner receive Pension Credit guarantee credit.
  • You receive the benefit Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance.
    Either:
  • Your gross annual income (your income before income tax and other money is taken away) is less than £15460 and you receive Working Tax Credit with a 'disability element' or 'severe disability element';
    or
  • Your gross annual income is less than £15460 and you and your partner receive Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit between you.

HM Revenue & Customs send you an award notice that shows your annual income. This is your gross annual income. If it is more than £15,460, the court may suggest that you apply for remission. If you receive Working Tax Credit, the award notice will show if you receive a 'disability element' or 'severe disability element'"

• Haha 1

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

3 Wins :

Oh err, an online offer of a sugar daddy? You're not just after me for my claim money are you? :D

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

Hi the daddy,

Re your post #1. Barclays made us a partial offer too-albeit after we filed at court. To save time & money (mine) & theirs (ours) I've written suggesting they up their offer to the full amount plus the court cost of £120 and I'll let them off the interest. Not holding out much hope tho. I'll let you know.