• Tweets

• What is Johnson trying to do now? Even the Mail thinks he risks inflaming things further with France. First the jibes in Franglais and now Macron is behaving like a lover being jilted at the last minute. I guess Bozo has plenty of experience of dealing with that.   Boris Johnson's 'Franglais jibes' appear to liken Macron to jilted lover on Ausuk submarine deal | Daily Mail Online WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK The Prime Minister risked pouring fresh fuel on the fire over the £50billion Ausuk submarine pact by breaking into 'Franglais' jibes and appearing to...  
    • Avro Energy and Green - which combined supply gas and electricity to around 835,000 customers - have announced they are ceasing to tradeView the full article
    • Back in 2006 I came face to face with a debt problem which was that I could clear my debts or help a family member and I of course chose the latter.   The resultant onslaught of phone calls and letters was at first unsettling but I realised, particularly with the help afforded by this site that in reality there was nothing they could do.  If your friend has no assets then they can't take them,  If he challenges their assertions to the debts then in the main they can't prove them, if he has nothing then they will not make him bankrupt and even if he has something they will not make him bankrupt because they have to pay the fees and then anything your friend has is split up between all the people he owes so no business will go that route.   In short, although they will huff and puff they are pretty much not able to blow his house down even if it is made of straw like mine!   He should adapt to the situation and turn it into a hobby like I did/do.   I actually collect debt collection letters and other things they send out.   When something arrives in the post I am likely to say "Oh I have got one of those" or "Ah something new for my collection".   Thinking like this causes the intimidation to drop away and become ineffective.   Tell him to can his worries and start enjoying life, because I guarantee that the Creditors are not staying awake worrying about him!  He is just a few magnetic dots on their hard drive and is in their threatomatic machine.  Depending upon his reaction he will be moved around the machine and there are parts of the machine which are programmed to deal with debtors who don't respond and that is to park them out of the way and work on other ones.
    • It's up to you. You could spend the weekend reading up and then send the letter of claim on Monday – and then issue the claim shortly before you go. It depends whether you have access to your email et cetera while you are away. I would be amazed if they failed to respond – but if they did, then you would put in for a default judgement immediately and then enforcement. However I would imagine that they would respond with an acknowledgement of service giving them a full 28 days to file a defence. This means that you would receive the defence roughly when you returned. However you would have to be able to keep in contact with the court system by means of email and also with us. Of course if you wanted then you could leave it for the full six weeks and we can start then. You decide
    • Have you contacted Courts to find out if a set aside application has been made ?   Have you checked to see whether the Builder has any other CCJ's ?   Home WWW.TRUSTONLINE.ORG.UK   Perhaps the legal advice relates to the Builder being able to pay ?  i.e. get in quick to enforce the judgement.    Enforcing a CCJ does not cost £4k.  Sounds like your Lawyer is including their own hefty fees in arranging this.   Make a court claim for money: Enforce a judgment - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to take legal action if someone owes you money (small claims court), how much it costs, what happens next. Includes information from...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

Settlement Offset Against Debt: Urgent Advice Needed

smartellie

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

i have a court action against AMEX for just over £500 in charges, they have offered to settle for the full amount but will only offset it against the current debt i have with them which they passed to their debt collection agency last year RMA Resolve.

I am not keen to accept this as it is clear that they took the money illegally in the first place and they should not be allowed to profit from their own illegal activity. They are saying they will pay the court costs of £50 but the rest of the money will go into my account but they closed this last year within a week of my payment being late (talk about brutal) and they have accepted payments via the negotiated settlement which we set up via Payplan last year to pay the debt. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or has come across this before.I am quite happy to fight it out at court having just won £10.4 K against First Direct, it just peeves me to give them money they had no right to in the first place.

kind regards

Ellie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SmartEllie

I've just got an offer of about 80% (full and final) from FD but they insist on off setting this against an unsecured debt I have with them after they withdrew banking services (after 10 years as a customer) . Can they do this? I dont think the two areas can be linked legally?

Its my view they cant, i am due to send them the LBA letter in about 1 week...should I push for payment to a non FD account and settle with them ( I would accept the amount) or just keep going towards the courts?

All advice welcomed.....keep up the good work

RMJ

Hi SmartEllie

I've just got an offer of about 80% (full and final) from FD but they insist on off setting this against an unsecured debt I have with them after they withdrew banking services (after 10 years as a customer) . Can they do this? I dont think the two areas can be linked legally?

Its my view they cant, i am due to send them the LBA letter in about 1 week...should I push for payment to a non FD account and settle with them ( I would accept the amount) or just keep going towards the courts?

All advice welcomed.....keep up the good work

RMJ

i tried a different tack with AMEX, i argued that their charges were illegal under the legislation, and common law and that their argument in offsetting the amount they owed me against a debt on a closed account on which they had accepted a payment arrangement was tantamount to profiting from their own illegality. The fact that they were offering to pay me meant that they acknowleged their actions were illegal in the first place. I advised them that i was quite happy to go to court to argue this point and their threat of a costs action against me was an veiled threat as they knew that costs are rarely awarded in the small claims procedure. It was a kind of bring it on letter, the cheque for the full amount plus costs arrived within the week.

I am not saying this approach will work in your case, the amount claims agained amex was £500, i have recently won the full amount of £10,400 against first direct, i had an secured loan against my house with them which i was not in arrears with, they did not even mention offsetting although i was concerned it would come up and was prepared to use the same argument that i used against AMEX. So you have to pick the argument and roll the dice;

best of luck

ellie