Thames Credit/Akitv Capital Group

faye93x

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There.

This is my first post so please bear with me.

I receied a letter in the post last week from Thames Credit advising me that 'We write to advise you that Aktiv Capitsl Group of Companies has bought my debt off Barclays Bank'

I called Thames Credit and thay have advised me that this was ofr an account closed in 01/04/1999!!!!!

Now my understanding is that this debt is Stat barred and uncollectable. I hope that it is my understanding anyway.

I write to Thames Credit (faxed a copy too) and advised them that under the Limitation Act they cannot take any action against me under this debt and that unless they can provide evidence I will be making no payment to tham and that if they continue to contact me then I will contact the OFT under that Admin of Justice Act 1970 - Harassement.

I received a letter back from them yesterday and I will quote some of the letter content.

'Your refenece of the Statue of Limitation is not relevent. We do of course fully understand Statue but it is often misinterpreted by debtors and their advisors. We have neither threatened nor suggested litigation action, hence it is repeated that reference to the Act is not relevent.

In paragraph 5 of this letter they have offered me a 50% reduction in the debt if I can pay it in full by 7 July 2007. Then it goes on to say that

we are prepared to be constructive and apply a significant discount rather than consulting with our Solicitors about potential further action’

I do believe that this is now threatening leagl action.

Any advice on what to do now. I will not be paying this debt purely due to the time that has elapsed and I know that they cannot take any legal action against me. I have not heard anything about this in over 8 years!

Please could you stick to one thread. You've already posted this in the Debt Collection sub forum.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.