Jump to content

Help -Card Protection Scam


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5139 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

In April 2004 I took out a MINT credit card and at the same time as we could afford it then I agreed to Card Protection. In May 2004 my card was debited for the amount of £35.

About a year later on receiving notification of a pending charge I phoned in and cancelled the policy and thought that was the end of it. No further deductions wee made in 2005 and 2006. In May 2007 quite unexpectedly my card was debited for £70 causing me to go well over my limit and incurring a £12 penalty charge. I contacted the MINT and inquired about the identity of the organisation that had done the debit and it turned out to be CPP or Card Protection Plan.

I contracted CCP and inquired why they had resurrected a closed account. They then informed me that the account was not closed and that they had sent a letter along the lines of "if you do not respond we shall assume that you are satisfied with our porposals to change "x" and debit your account accordingly".

Admittedly we had moved house in Feb 2006 but I never notified them of my change of address because I assumed that there was no reason as there was no account. In my eyes I think that they cannot make assumptions although they state it was in the T & Cs that they sent with the letter. Our mail was forwarded on for nearly a year to catch something like this but to get done 15 months after moving, is not on.

I need some advice on what I can throw at them to recover my £70 plus the penalty fee of £12 and interest.

What is even more annoying is that due to a few late payments recently MINT never renewed my card at the end of May 2007 and although I do not have a problem with this as I would like to pay it up and get rid of the card, it is extremely annoying to get debited for something you do not have.

Can any one advise on any consumer regulations that I can throw at CCP in order to get them to address the issue quickly as my repayment to MINT for this month has almost doubled because of this totally unexpected deduction never mind the interest. Normally this would not have been an issue but the wife has been off work for a few months and our monthly income dropped drastically. First thing comes to mind is unfair T & Cs regaridng automatically assume, nothing heard for 3 years then whammo etc. As I spent a long time on the phone with them on an 080 number should I just go straight it with a LBA and a covering letter. Please advise soonest. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst what they say is reasonable, if you cancelled it and they didn't take the payment for that year, I assume when they DID it was for the 'missing' year? If so, they're studded and you can insist the CC company do a chargeback. The arrogance of CPP amazes me, but in ANY continuous mandate cancellations, you should always back it up in writing and keep a copy. At the moment there is only your word they cancelled - although helped by their NOT taking it on the usual date. Ask - and if CPP say you hadn't cancelled was the usual fee not taken until a doubler the following year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Buzby, but was actually over 2 years before they made a deduction. If they had deducted the account in May 2005 or even May 2006 I would have picked it up. Is there any sort of regulation I could throw at these guys as they have put me in a bad light with MINT although I no longer have a card with MINT and it is just as we are starting to come right and get our finances back into order.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The regulations on continuous debits (of a credit card) are stacked in favour of the originator (CPP in this case). However, if you terminated the arrangement in May 2004, and the ceased using the card (cancelled/closed?) prior to May 2006 - they have the right to take payment (so it is not a fraud issue), their cavalier attitude of writing and taking - which is to their benefit, than asking first and seeking permission puts you in a stronger position. After X months, how would they know you hadn't moved? It's illogical.


Your defence is that you cancelled, and they stopped charging. Sending a letter saying they're going to restart to an address you're no longer at is not an excuse. You could easily send them an LBA for the full amount you require to settle the matter, giving 28 days for the amount to be credited to Mint, or you'll go the whole way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hi surfero1,


I have read through you thread, and am aware that it was a few months ago.


But iam in a similar postion now. So seek advise.


I took out a Capital one credit card them i can't remember but looking back through statement seems that i was charged a card protection by another company for £39.00.


Then recently they have charged me again. I phoned them to discover that they charge every three years and they sent me a letter similar to yours my previous address.


Like you i cancelled the card protection in 2004. And when i asked for my cash for the new charge back they say that they can not because the 30 day period has lapsed. By 3 or 5 days, because the satement arriving after the 30 day period had lapsed.


They say they will investigate and get back to me.


Can you advise me how you got on and what letters you used.


I hope you was sucessful.


Also like you i checked my mail at old address ever since we moved because it is only around the corner to present address and we keep in touch with the new owners of the old house. And i never received the renewal letter.


Kind regards



Link to post
Share on other sites

As per Buzby I wrote them a preliminary letyter and sent it by recorded mail but got no answer. I then sent a LBA and they replied quite promptly and I go a refund of the charge however not additional interest that I accummalated or the £12 exceeding my overdraft fee. I have come to the conclusion that this Card protection is all a big con. good luck with your refund but i think you will need to push them hard.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...