Criminal injuries compensation- time limit query

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4945 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

A family member lost the sight of his eye in a brutal attack and needed a further operation some months later for ongoing trauma to the eye. The incident took 3 years before the police were able to bring charges

At that point a claim for criminal injuries was made,but this was outside the time limits.The application was refused because of this.

My Sister has appealed against this decision because she and her husband were under the impression they could not make a claim until a conviction had been sought.

The board of appeal have now decided she will be allowed to appeal if she can give very good reasons to have the time limit waivered.

Ignorance of the criminal injuries compensation scheme is a factor the board have dismissed.

Are there any knowlegdeable persons on the site that could offer any guidance.She has 90 days to make her case.- with just 20 days left.

Sorry its long winded,

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i cant help you but you might want to try getting some advice from victim support? i worked for them years ago and we had training about filling in the criminal injuries forms/giving advice relating to criminal injuries compensation etc, i know its a shot in the dark, but its worth a try? they're free to use and if they cant help you they might be able to recommend someone who can?

Unless a particular sort of claim has its own time limits set by statute,I always thought that in civil actions limitation periods were suspended in cases of disability, and that time only started to run when the claimant recovered from the disability. It may be that mental incapacity disabilities are only covered. I'm not sure if criminal injuries are covered.

Why dont you give the Disabilities Rights commission a ring for advice, their number is - 08457 622633