SLC Cannot Supply The Original Agreement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

cos they as of yet they cannot find it,

i have given them 2 months in all to comply to the dpa,

after 2 phone calls,

the latest today,

they informed me they as of yet cannot supply me with an original signed agreement,

i there fore said that they could not prove their was a debt,

they agreed that would be the case,

i then told them i would write and give them 7 final days and then reliquish all responsibility ect to the loan if they did not produce a signed agreement,

can i do this, and how do i word it.
thanx

TOTALLY debt free as of 2007, Fantastic,

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, under the Consumer Credit Act, if you request a signed copy of the original agreement, they must provide it within 12 WORKING DAYS by Law. If they take longer than that plus 30 days to provide it, they have committed a criminal offence.

So - the debt is now unenforceable already. You are being extremely generous. If they have entered a "Default" on your credit file, you now have a good case for getting it removed as there IS NO DEBT.

• Haha 1

Would you have to pay to see a copy of it ? And also, where can I read about this 12 day rule ?

also, if they cannot provide the signed agreement then they would have to pay back all of the money you have already paid them yeah ?

i requested a copy of a loan agreement today, clocks ticking on the 12 days

Halifax Credit Card - £408.16 - Settled in FULL 26/6/06

Halifax Loans - £397.97 - Settled in FULL 25/8/06

GE Money Topman £216.75 - SETTLED IN FULL

Marbles LBA - £475.00 - £250 Offered :rolleyes:

Halifax Current Account LBA - SETTLED IN FULL

Yorkshire Bank Current Accounts £2271.77 - Issued 30/6/06 - Default Judgement Issued - Warrant of Execution Requested

Capital One - LBA - £88 Knocked of Balance

Egg PPI - LBA

Would you have to pay to see a copy of it ? And also, where can I read about this 12 day rule ?

You can read about the rule in the Consumer Credit Act 1974. And the Statutory Maximum Fee for this kind of request is £1.

SurreyScouse you're PROMPTING ME!!! I gave SOME info at least!! :mad: LOL

And as regards paying it all back, you KNOW it's true.

you need to send a £1 postal order.

12 day rule:

77 (1) and section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

... a little

Mahala is a powerful thing ...

If you like my advice, please click the scales.

All advice is offered informally. If in any doubt, seek professional advice.

Barclays:claiming £908. Defence filed

Simply Be: settled in full

Abbey: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

GE Capital: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

Aktiv Kapital: Failed to comply with CCA disclosure. Debt unenforceable.

If this site has helped you, please make a donation to help keep it going.

thanx for reply.. i have drafted this letter, do you think this is worded ok, its straight and to the point and gives them no more time to supply the document

Data Protection Act 1998

Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam

REFERENCE NUMBER: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I write to you regarding the telephone conversation with your department today, I have been informed by your department that the original signed agreement is missing.

I have give you time enough to supply the original signed agreement and you now have exceeded the 40 days you are allowed and by not supplying the document are committing a criminal act.

I therefore now relinquish any debts you claim I have with your company, I also request you with draw any defaults/adverse credit you have lodged against me

I give you seven days from the date of this letter to comply, otherwise I will be forced to take legal action

No other correspondence will be entered in to.

Yours faithfully,

I'm confused - was it a subject access request under the DPA or a request for the credit agreement etc under the CCA?

If it was SAR, then what has been said in relation to offences doesn't fit - they have failed to comply with a SAR which means you can go to court to force them to comply.

If the request was made under the CCA then they have committed an offence after one calendar month, not 40 days. see this thread for more info. I would read up and work out which it is before you send the letter, because as it stands the info in it is inaccurate, I think.

hope this helps!

• Haha 1

... a little

i origionally sent a dpa request, they sent statements but no loan agreement, they say they cannot find it, so i am now wondering where i stand with relation to the loan, if they dont have a signed agreement, where does that leave me

technically it leaves you with an unenforceable debt. I'm not sure, however, if you need to have made the CCA request to make this so - I know the end result is the same - ie they can't find the agreement, but not sure if there's some technicality that says you have to made [this] reques and not [that] one - you know how the law can be.

There are people on here though with more knowledge of this than me, and with a bit of luck, one of them will sashay over here shortly ;)

... a little

It is important that you follow the procedure set out in the Consumer Credit Act and make a statutory request under sections 77(1) and 78(1). A draft letter is shown elsewhere on the forum - and as stated, you need to send the £1 fee.

It is only when they have defaulted under this that the debt becomes unenforceable after 12 working days (you can legally suspend payments at this point until they provide the agreement) - and after one month they have committed an offence.

Should they then seek to enforce the debt they will have to explain to the court why they defaulted, and seek permission to continue - and you can also report them to Trading Standards and the FSA.

However, remember that all this only applies after sending the letter under the terms of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

they have just written back saying they still cannot find it,

they havent got one so

how do i go about dumping the debt,

i have sent a letter to them last friday stating that if its not received within the next 7 days i will start proceedings,

but what proceedings am i to persue,

i am lost from here,

what court forms do i need.

Don't lose sight of what you want to achieve.

Unfortunately you have not given any detail in this thread as to what exactly you are challenging, and why you sent the requests in the first place.

If you believe the debt contained an element of unlawful charges, but they have been unable to provide information - and have now defaulted on the Consumer Credit Act request, then you have achieved your goal. The debt is unenforceable - and they have admitted that themselves. Job done!

If the issues are wider, then you need to give more information.

So presumably then, if the debt is unenforceable, you cannot go after unfair charges otherwise you would be admitting that you do actually own the debt, regardless of whether they can find the paperwork or not? Or am I so completely wrong?!! :D

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Don't lose sight of what you want to achieve.

Unfortunately you have not given any detail in this thread as to what exactly you are challenging, and why you sent the requests in the first place.

If you believe the debt contained an element of unlawful charges, but they have been unable to provide information - and have now defaulted on the Consumer Credit Act request, then you have achieved your goal. The debt is unenforceable - and they have admitted that themselves. Job done!

If the issues are wider, then you need to give more information.

yes i was origionally after unfair charges to be refunded, the agreement was origionally reqested with the dpa request, but what i dont understand is how to get them to ackknowlege that the debt is now unenforceable with out some form of court order. what do i do if they contest the unenforcable debt

So presumably then, if the debt is unenforceable, you cannot go after unfair charges otherwise you would be admitting that you do actually own the debt, regardless of whether they can find the paperwork or not? Or am I so completely wrong?!! :D

That would be a fair assessment.

yes i was origionally after unfair charges to be refunded, the agreement was origionally reqested with the dpa request, but what i dont understand is how to get them to ackknowlege that the debt is now unenforceable with out some form of court order. what do i do if they contest the unenforcable debt

The problem lies in that fact that your initial contact was by telephone. What has actually been put in writing?

Have they actually written to you saying they cannot provide a copy of the agreement?

Have you got proof that you sent a request under the Consumer Credit Act? The letter you have shown above mentions 40-days, this looks more like a Data Protection Act request. If your request was not sent under the terms of the CCA then the terms of that Act do not apply, and the debt is still active.

Your posts are not giving a great deal of information or clarity. Without knowing exactly what you have requested, and some background information of the case, it is impossible to give a definitive answer.

i sent this last week which i revised and didnt send the the other example

DPA OFFICER

CitiFinancial Europe PLC

6 Admiral Way

Doxford International business park

Sunderland

Sr3 3xw

16/06/2006

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam

REFERENCE NUMBER: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We write to you regarding the telephone conversation with your department today, we have been informed by your department that the original signed agreement “which was requested as part of our original DPA request on 19/04/06 ” is missing!

We have given you time enough to supply the original signed agreement and you now have exceeded the 30 days you are allowed and by not supplying the document you are committing a criminal act under the legislation contained within section 77 (1) and section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

You are reminded that you were obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not, under section 189 of the CCA 1974

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

We give you seven days from the date of this letter to comply, otherwise we will be forced to take legal action

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested. In the meantime please be aware that we consider this matter to be “in dispute”.

The time for compliance with our request has now expired. If you do not comply fully with my Subject Access Request within 7 days of this letter, We shall apply to the County Court for an order to enforce compliance, together with damages at the discretion of the court.

No other correspondence will be entered in to.

Yours faithfully,

i tried to find a template for the s.t.a. request and could not find one so i adapted this out of various others and a bit of research and help from you, is this ok.

The difficulty is that legally you have not made a request under the Consumer Credit Act sections 77(1) and 78(1) - you made a DPA request.

Whilst this may seem pedantic, I am looking at it from a legal point of view. Until you make a request in exactly the way the CCA sets out, with the £1 statutory fee, you cannot claim that the debt is unenforceable.

Hopefully, they will not spot this, but be prepared that they may argue the point, and you may need to tie this up later.

is there a template for this, as i cannot find one, as i also want to try this with another company. i am also 100% sure citifinance have not got an agreement, so i can sent this thru the proper channels.

i have looked at the letter on the general section and is quite similar to mine as you know,

would you recommend i send the other letter or leave it,

i am tempted to leave it as its nearly the same.

i will use that one for the other company

The critical thing is that the letter states that; you are requesting a true copy of the agreement under the terms of the secs. 77(1) and 78(1) of the CCA 1974 - and you enclose the statutory fee.

By doing this, your request is then legally binding - and if they default, you can take advantage of the remedies available under the Act.