Critical illness help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi new to this.

Just wondered after browsing for a good while what anyone thinks of my situation and if anyone has any comments or similar experiences.

At work in march this year I started to feel a bit weak, walking predominantly to the right and eyes went a bit funny.

I left my car at work and got a lift to A&E to get checked out. Was admitted straight away and spent 2 weeks undergoing tests. I had an MRI which I was told that in technicians report suggested MS. I had a lumbar puncture (joyful experience!) which further indicated it (proteins?) and was put on a 5 day IV methyl prethisdolone or something like that. My walk was wierd, my eysight fuzzy and balance all over the place. I started to feel better and was discharged. My consultant from hospital said he was pleased with my progress but he said it 'MS'. He seemed very sure and said he had done a lot of work in this field before. He referred me to meet a neurologist which I am still waiting to see. Sure of his conviction I put in a claim for my critical illness cover. It has a 6 month see how it develops condition.

Been off work for 5 months now ang hopefully gearing up for a return to work soon. My sick notes have always said 'probable' MS from GP. This is worrying me now with my claim as I thought the consultant said it was a definite dx. He states this on another form completed but again GP says 'PROBABLE'

This money is going to seriously affect how my family continue to live and getting very anxious now. I phone company every week for update and they are forever waiting on medical reports.

I am also worried that going back to work may have an impact on claim. Since my hospital admission I have not sought any further treatment by a doctor, thats not to say I have had some bad times at home.

Sorry to go on, just worried, anxious and confused.

Any thoughts

jamjo

Hi. I'm sorry to hear of your current health problems and I hope you get better.

I just found this link

Multiple Sclerosis Society Website - Welcome to the MS Society - Critical illness

Is MS covered by all critical illness policies?

All critical illness policies cover heart attacks, cancer and strokes, but not all cover MS, although it is one of four other core critical illnesses as defined by the Association of British Insurers (ABI). Those policies that do cover MS will pay out following a definite diagnosis by a Consultant Neurologist, as long as you have current impairment of motor or sensory function which has lasted for at least six months continuously.

In 1999, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) published model definitions of critical illness conditions. These represent minimum standards of cover, to which all their members have to adhere. Policies taken out since then with an ABI member will either offer this minimum level of cover or better. More details on this model definition of MS, and on those for other conditions, can be found in the Consumer Information zone on the ABI website ( www.abi.org.uk).

Check the small print to find out if it covers MS, and under what circumstances it will pay out.

There may be restrictions or exclusions which can prevent a claim. Some insurers will not pay out if the condition is diagnosed within three or six months of the start of the policy. You will also need to survive for a period of time, usually between 14 and 30 days, after an illness is diagnosed, but this should not be an issue for people diagnosed with MS.

If you do qualify, the money paid out can be a godsend, easing financial pressures at a time when you need to be concentrating on your health.

I hope this helps to clear some things up for you. From what I read though, as you've not had a definite diagnosis from a neurologist yet it is unlikely at this time that the insurers will pay out.