dwm1971 v Barclays

dwm1971
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to all.

Well here it starts .... received my statements from Barclays this morning.

A pile of statements about 3/4 of an inch thick.

Not sure where to start ..... what can I claim back?

So far I can see paid referral fees and unauthorised overdraft fees.

Can these be claimed back?

Is there anything else that I should be looking out for?

Once I have added it all up .... do i need to send the statements back to them, or should i create a spreadsheet with the date, type of charge and amount?

Any help to get me started would be much appreciated.

if you go to the martin lewis site - moneysaving expert.com there is a bank charges calculator which makes it easy for you all you need to do is enter the date and amount and it creates a spreadsheet and calculates the interest - good luck

do i need to send the statements back to them,

Never, never send the statements. You will need these for a court bundle later

or should i create a spreadsheet with the date, type of charge and amount?

Use the Simple S/S here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

See here for a visual guide:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bcard-woolwich-successes/7226-maisielou-barclays.html#post50088

When entering your charges, don’t delete anything first. Just overwrite the existing examples: type of charge, amount and date.

The ‘Days Since’ and ‘8% Interest’ columns will be calculated automatically

Save it (for use later at court), then delete/hide the last 2 columns (8% bits) and print out as your schedule of charges for the preliminary and LBA letters

Only use MSE if you haven't got Excel or Works, since you can't save it and you can't enter the type of charge

I have received copies of my statements from Barclays datin back to

4th April 2001. How far back can I claim the charges?

Also, when I fill in the spreadsheet, I believe it calculates the interest automatically. When I send my second letter asking for the charges back, should I ask for the total amount of charges with, or without the interest?

One final questions. I have added up my charges back to 4th April 2001, and they amount to £3915-00 without interest added !!!! How much can I claim back in the small claims court?

There seems to be so much to think about .... hope you can help.

Hi DWM -- welcome, you've come to the right place to start to claim back your bank charges. £3915 is quite a sum!!!

Given that you've got your statements to April 2001, I'd be inclined to go for the lot. They usually say 6 years, but I wouldn't think the extra couple of months would jeopardise the claim, they can always refuse the charges from April 01 - June 01.

Send off your prelim letter and attach the schedule of charges. It is up to you as to whether to go for the interest. Personally (my opinion only) I wouldn't.

Remember to stick to your own timescales - the bank will try all the tricks in the book to stall and put you off. Don't be intimidated, just carry on. You will get your money back:D

If you have to issue court proceedings, then you can add the statutory 8% interest.

Hope this has helped a little.

Best wishes.

jaxads

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Oops, I forgot to say, have a good read of all the threads in the Barclays forum, that way you'll have some idea as to what you may expect from them!

Best wishes.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

I have just finished entering my information into the spreadsheet.

My claim amounts to £3915-00 (£4762-72 with interest).

I have spoken to some people who say not to try to claim the full amount including interest, and just go for the amount without interest added.

Has anyone got any experience with this, or views on it?

I am banking With Barclays Bank (Additions Account).

Thanks.

You only add the interest at court stage. Have a look here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

Also go here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/ and start your own thread, keep it updated and folks in the same boat as you can offer help and support.

Good luck with your claim!

If I have helped in any way please click on the scales in the left corner also please remember that any advice I give is purely my own experience or opinion. Ta.

I have received my statements from Barclays, calculated the charges, and am now ready to send a letter asking for them back.

I sent the letter requesting my statements to my local branch.

Should I send the letter asking for my money back to my local branch also, or is there a specific address that should be used when asking for my money back?

I am banking with Barclays Bank.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Dwm

Firstly please do not start a new thread with every question you have. It becomes very difficult for others to follow your progress, this is the 4th thread you have started about the same claim.

Send all mail by Recorded Delivery to head office

Barclays Bank PLC

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

madeleine150x120.gif

Ok ... Just sent off my letter requesting my charges back from Barclays.

Doing the same for my Lloyds TSB Account also. Sent the letter requesting statements on 30 th April, but have had no communication so far from them. Have sent a second letter to them (from the templates) stating that they have 7 days to respond. Three questions .....

1. Am I following the correct procedure.

2. Has anyone else experienced this problem with Lloyds TSB?

3. What should I do if they fail to supply my statements within the next 7 days.

One minor hiccup .... I did not send my original request letter by recorded delivery (didnt have the knowledge gained from the Consumer Action Group at the time I sent them). Does anyone think this may cause a problem?

Any advice much appreciated.

Hi dwm

1. Yes

2. You would need to ask this on the Lloyds TSB forum

3. You should make an online complaint to the ICO and also you are eligible to make a claim online or with your local court for Breach of Data Protection Act.

Quite a few of us are already in the middle of making Breach based claims and I suspect there will get more and more instances of this happening as the banks suffer from a snowball effect of customers (past & present) joining in the reclaim game.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

• 4 weeks later...

Stil lprogressing with the Barclays claim. I sent my first letter requesting the money be returned, and got a letter saying would be dealt with in due course ... standard letter. Have now sent my LBA, and got a letter the following day saying that would be dealt with in due course, and no later than some date in september. What should I do next?

Im going on holiday in 3 weeks for a fortnight. Do I carry on regardless of the letters they send me. If so .. would I be better leaving the next stage (which I believe is the stage where i start the procedure of taking them to court) until I return from holiday. Any help would be appreciated. Things seem to be closing in fast.

I would carry on as per your timescale :) Not much you could do once you have applied to the courts ...... It wont affect you holidays as you would be returning just as their defence would of beed submitted :)

I seriously urge you to go the N1 route direct to the court however