• Tweets

• This was why I was rejected the full amount:  
    • I haven't sent them anything, is there a way to retract this? (in relation to me adding more info)   I am also unable to upload the PDF as I do not have a way to redact any personal information, however the defendants are as follows:  
    • Its just come to my attention that a friend has been getting pressure from a company called ACT credit management. They are collecting a debt on behalf of a service provider.  My friend has been pressured to pay far more than they can afford and I've suggested that they request an income and expenditure form. This has been sent but insists on evidence for all about goings. Bank statements etc. Can they legally insist on this evidence.   I'd also like to know if it reasonable to request details of the debt. it wasn't  credit agreement it was for an essential service that should have been paid when the invoice was presented. I'm not convinced that the original cost was fair.    Thanks in advance
    • Sorry, but we need to see the entire claim form in PDF. Scanned. I'm particularly interested to see the description of the parties. Also, I notice that you said that you would provide further details of your claim. This was unnecessary – and probably you shouldn't have done it. Have you sent them something now?
    • Its new Premium account costs £15 a month and comes with features including phone and travel insurance. View the full article
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Car Hire Company - Can anyone help?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4152 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I wondered if anyone would be able to help with this....A few weeks ago I booked to hire a car to get to work and back because my own car would be in the garage for a while so I decided to go onto the Internet and find out the cheapest deal locally. I managed to get a special deal for three days and they charged me the full rate for the other two days which I was quite happy about so I booked it.

When I went in to pick the car up they charged me the full rate for all of the days that I was hiring the car but I didn't notice because unbeknown to me I was suffering from glandular fever and felt a bit poorly!!! I did question the amount with them but they said that I couldn't possibly have got a different rate from the internet!

Anyway, the saga continues......I had to extend my car-hire for a further two days because my car wasn't ready from the garage and with glandular fever I couldn't have walked my little boy to school. When I did take the car back I had all the original paperwork with me to show them and they said that they would get the manager Simon to telephone me about it because I was unhappy. I told them that I wasn't unhappy with the service that I just felt that I was being overcharged because they had quoted different rates on the internet. However Simon called me, told me it was a glitch on their website and he would speak to the relevant people. Nothing since!

It is only for around £40.00 that I was overcharged but if I had known that they were going to charge that amount I would have gone somewhere ekse for car hire. Should a company stand by their quote especially as I booked it over the internet? Does the fact that I extended the car hire make a difference?

Would like to hear what anyone else thinks?

Many thanks,

Sarah5318

a quote is just a quote though, unfortunatley when it came to the transaction you agreed to what they were charging then. I think any refund will be more of a good will gesture than due to legal reasons.

Hi there! Yes I still have all the documentation including the price that they gave me on the internet. I actually booked it there and then over their website with my Visa so that I could pick the car up the following day. I thought that when they gave you a price on the internet they had to stand by that. I have checked their terms and conditions also but I don't see anything about extending your car hire.

I know it is only for a measly £40.00 but I think that it is the principle of the thing..... Sarah5318

If the car was booked and paid for over the internet then they should honour the price you paid. What company was it Sarah?

Hi Rob S,

The car hire company was Enterprise Rent a Car. As I said before I do have all the documents from the internet but when I questioned it they said it was a glitch on their system and I shouldn't have been charged the special rate for five days, the special rate was only for weekend car-hire for three days.

I did think the same as you though. I thought if I was quoted and then booked something on the basis of that quotation they should stand by it.

Any thoughts/

I would suggest you write to them, point out that you were able to book the car for the relevant period and payment was accepted at that rate on their internet site and ask them to reimburse you the extra amount you have had to pay.

The difference is that you have not just had a quote, but you have also paid up front for the car hire on their internet site, and the system accepted your booking.

Thanks for your help on this matter Rob. I was under the impression that this was the case however I just wanted confirmation really that I was right!

Onwards and upwards with Enterprise then.....will keep you informed.

Sarah5318

Good luck with this - letter asking for refund is definitely the way forward but send it to head office rather than a branch. Also make sure you keep a copy and send it recorded delivery - then if you still have either no response or an unsatisfactory response you can approach trading standards for help. Also give them time to reply - something like 14 days is reasonable.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for not keeping you up to date with this!

After all of the advice that I received on this case I decided to go with it and eventually after nearly two years of fighting they refunded my card with the amount that they owed and also a goodwill payment! They did not however write to let me know of this, they just refunded everything to my card.

Thank you to everyone who helped me!

• 2 months later...

hi, just had smilar thing happen to me with enterprise. got a quote off the internet, reserved the car with my credit card at that point, but actually paid for the rental when i picked the car up,at which point price was different.

unfortuneately only noticed a couple weeks after rental. is only for small amount £30 ish but its the principle of the thing that annoys me.

sent a complaint to customer service will let people know what happens.