Personal Bad Debt Advice Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I accidently stumbled across this site & have been reading through some of the posts and was wondering if maybe someone could offer me some advice regarding some debts I ran up a few years back.

I have not made payments on any of the debts for 3-4 years now {poss longer} apart from 2 debts I ve rarely had any contact with the creditors {unusual I know} - they are all at default stage and Im curious to know how long the defaults remain on my file - why they are only defaults and not ccjs and when they are able to be removed does that happen automatically or do i need to request this?

Id like to be able to start to repair my credit history so am just need advice on what actions I need to take in order to do this.

ALL UNSECURED DEBTS

Direct Line Loan - Taken out 25/06/01 - default date - 04/06/02 - no contact at all - did not know about default until obtained credit file

Tesco Loan Taken Out 26/10/01 - default date 02/08/2003 - no contact at all - did not know about default until obtained credit file

Halifax Loan taken out 29/09/2001 - default date 01/10/2002. Has been passed to many debt recovery agencies threatening action - each time I explain my circumstances and provide evidence that I am unable to make any repayments - then they stop contact and six months later or so I get a letter from a diff debt agency and the process starts again.

Visa Card Taken Out 05/03/02 - default date 27/01/03 - as per details re halifax loan re action to date.

Thanks Jx

I have not made payments on any of the debts for 3-4 years now {poss longer} apart from 2 debts I ve rarely had any contact with the creditors {unusual I know} - they are all at default stage and Im curious to know how long the defaults remain on my file - why they are only defaults and not ccjs and when they are able to be removed does that happen automatically or do i need to request this?

Id like to be able to start to repair my credit history so am just need advice on what actions I need to take in order to do this.

Defaults stay on your file for 6 years from the date registered. A CCJ will only show if any of your creditors have taken county court action against you. So if no CCJs they haven't done this. The defaults are removed automatically; you don't need to do anything.

It's worth checking when the 6 years is up as some DCAs and creditors do try to re register a default if you still haven't paid. You can only be defaulted once for a credit agreement even if you haven't paid it back.

Your credit history is a factual account of how you have managed your credit accounts so it can't be 'repaired' as such as only false information can be removed. Be wary of credit repair companies who offer to clean it up for a fee - they will usually just obtain a copy of your file which you can do yourself!

You could go the route of sending CCA letters to the creditors asking for copy credit agreement as in theory if this can't be produced then they shouldn't be providing your data to the cred ref agencies.

Hope this helps!

Sorry, forgot to mention - If you don't acknowledge a debt in writing or make a payment ( and no CCJ is obtained ) then the debt becomes unenforceable as it will be 'statute barred'. From what you are saying this may not apply to most of yours but if any are coming up to the 6 yrs it may be worth sitting tight!