• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HBOS?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Found this site through money saving expert- v glad i did! Just had £30 charge and notice of £28 unauthorised o/draft charge for being £2 over my overdraft! £58 to resolve issue over £2, i'd say that's excessive.

My problem is i have both halifax and bank of scotland accounts. would i be better writing 2 seperate letters or as they are now supposedly HBOS will 1 letter be ok?

Thanks for all the great info!

Halifax: £478 (+ interest & cost) reimbursed

Halifax Visa: £370 - 1/2 back so far

Bank of Scotland: £802 (+ interest & costs) court ordered to pay (BoS failed to respond)

2 letters

Thanks!

When i actually thought about it it's obvious. Sent my letters this morning. Did try speaking to branch manager but was told charges were something i'd agreed to etc...

Bank of Scotland: £802 (+ interest & costs) court ordered to pay (BoS failed to respond)

Sent both letters last week. Just for fun put extra note at bottom asking if banks could supply invoice of their costs which are covered by the charges.

Very flustered person called the other day saying he didn't think that would be possible. Something mumbled about not having access to that info. Asked him to confirm that in writing along with details of any intervention etc...

Good to know my money is in safe hands!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got Halifax statements but still waiting for Bank of Scotland. Sent away letter asking for £450 back so expecting automated no letter any day now. Will get letter before action sorted and have look at moneyclaim again.

Woman at phone banking was telling me they've had loads of these letters recently.

If they ask me to pay back overdraft because of this can i do anything? Noticed post about threats to close accounts being wrong but not sure where I stand with overdraft

Cheers!

Looks like i might have to sort out another overdraft with different bank just incase.

Fully intend to close account if they demand overdraft back anyway. I've already got another account set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still not got statements from Bank Of Scotland. Get different excuse each time I call. Should be here tomorrow apparently (won't hold my breath!)

Halifax seem to be bit quicker. Have just had letter offering me £75 goodwill gesture. Rather generously they provided pre-paid envelope in which I sent my refusal and gave them 7 days to offer me full amount.

Apparently they tried to call me but as they called my parents house I was 'unavailable to take (their) call.' In my letter I also pointed out that any future calls should probably be to my current number not my previous number. Sometimes I wonder wether they pay attention!

Pleased to see lots of people getting charges back now, hopefully won't be long now!

When do your 40 days end? Surely it can't be long now? Have you threatened them with reporting to the IC?

Sky

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

40 days are up today! Mentioned this when last called- nice woman assured me they would be here (hope she wasn't lying.)

Postman will probably come after I've left for work so won't find out till tonight.

Will definitely report to I.C. if don't get them

Well, got home to find postman left nothing for me! Away to read up on I.C. so I can complain. Phoned Bank of Scotland to let them know and was told statements should be here today.

Don't believe a word they say anymore. Just want money back and accounts closed

Have finally got B of S statements- yeah!

Letters requesting £750 from B of S and £350 from Halifax visa now sent.

Halifax have just sent their third letter telling me they will not repay charges for last 6 years. Funny, I've only had account 3 years and never mentioned 6 years in any letter (a new automated letter in use now!) They did offer me £50 and £150 but I asked for £450.

Going for a fun morning out to the court tomorrow to file claim. Hopefully get money back soon got to get wedding present for my cousin.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

Did get BoS statements and still waiting to hear back from them.

Halifax visa sent me e-mail saying " We have received the details of the OFT findings and are studying those findings closely, assessing the impact this has on all of our customers. There is no change to our current fee refund policy and we do not expect to make any announcements before the 31st May...I trust this clarifies the situation, Should you require further assistance,

please do not hesitate to contact our call centre on the above number."

Well obviously just sent them LBA and they have until tommorow to get back to me.

Halifax claim has gone to court yesterday (should have been couple of weeks ago but I'm skint so couldn't afford the £39.) I f nothing else at least I'll get interest now (fingers crossed!)

Just to let you know, i got in touch with RBS recently and they told me they could transfer my bank (HBOS) across to theirs for no fee and set up all of my direct debits in their bank. Plus i think they are offering £100 to switch at the moment. Maybe something worth looking into?

Just to let you know, i got in touch with RBS recently and they told me they could transfer my bank (HBOS) across to theirs for no fee and set up all of my direct debits in their bank. Plus i think they are offering £100 to switch at the moment. Maybe something worth looking into?

Because the RBoS are so much better with regarding to charging and fees?!

Bank of Scotland - £4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.

Next - Capital One :D

It says in your signature that you are worried about 8 month timescale to get it all back? What do you mean?

Sky

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

Thanks daniel_r_clarke, will definitely look at RBOS. Figure all banks going to be about as crap as each other too but £100 sounds good!

It says in your signature that you are worried about 8 month timescale to get it all back? What do you mean?

Sky

Maximum possible time for claiming for 4 lots of £750, if they were to defend I expect. I think I worry unduly, to be honest, but I really wish Scotland had the same small claims limit as England & Wales.

Bank of Scotland - £4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.

Have to agree about that! Let's all move to England. My BoS claim is £802 to make sure I get that £52 I'll have to make two claims (bums!)

i will have to make 4 claims to reclaim my lot. Hopefully once the second claim goes in they will settle the total outstanding amount.

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

I'm thinking about Summary Cause. Costs the same to file... the risks are marginally greater, but only if they defend.

Was thinking about that myself, seems unlikely the banks would ever win even if they did go to court. Sods law though, just know I would be first they tried the whole court thing with.

Might try fruitycar's idea though. Take them to court for 1st lot then call them and see if they want to just give me the 2nd.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks