• Tweets

• The equity split is not calculated purely on how much capital you contributed to the household but circumstances at the time. For example, you mentioned that for the last five years you have been paid two thirds of all bills/ mortgage and your husband a third. What was he doing during that period, was he looking after your children mostly or looking after your house doing housework etc? They are factors which will be considered.   If you can agree on how any equity is split, you can sign a consent order. I  
    • Latest letter. Doesn't appear to contain anything new that needs action. Sadly one of our group paid, I'm not sure at what point.  3 of us still ignoring  Trace letter 25 May 19.pdf
    • As you have no income, you should complete a benefit check to see if you are entitled to any benefits: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/   You can submit the N244 before a warrant of eviction is granted but all that would do is reset possession proceedings. It is likely that Brittainia will continue with possession proceedings anyway even where the possession order is successfully set-aside. The issue is that you have very little to offer and Brittania is unlikely to agree to let you live in the property indefinitely until you sell it while paying £10 per month, that could take months/years. It wouldn't let you capitalise arrears because you can't meet the mortgage repayments even if they were.   I'd suggest that you speak to a housing advice organisation such as Shelter for assistance, it can gather further information and advise on what your best course of action is: https://england.shelter.org.uk/  
    • Hi,   I need some advice in compiling a defence to a claim sent to me by Moriarty Law on behalf of JC International   The claim is dated 24 May 2019 and I have filed my intention to raise a defence to extend the period to 28 days today   They claim: The defendant owes the Claimant £1075.67 under a credit card agreement with JCIA dated 29/2/2008 and which was assigned to the claimant and notice of which was given to the defendant. Despite formal demand for the payment the defendant has failed to pay and the claimant claims £1075.67 and also claims interest thereonprsuant to section 69 of the county court act 1984 limited to one year to the date hereof at the rate of 8% per annum amounting to £86.05   Amount Claimed 1161.72 Court Fee 70.00 Legal Costs 80.00 Total Amount 1311.72   In the pre litigation pack they sent to me (I have a copy as I sent by email) I asked for a copy of the CCA and also stated the debt was statute barred. To date all they have returned to me are statements of account that prove this is over 6 years old. The address they claimed I was at I had moved from long before those dates and my electoral roll supports this so I could have been found.    So my defence items are no CCA and Statute Barred - What is the best phrasing to do this? I presume I also do this at the last minute possible?   Thank you in advance
    • Received paperwork now from them prior to 30th deadline. is it worth uploading here or just send my 181 back with the draft directions from my side? 
  • Our picks

• Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 3 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.

THIS IS HOW THE PHONECALL WENT 

I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
    • The FSA has announced large fines against DB UK Bank Limited (trading as DB Mortgages) - DeutscheBank and also against Redstone for their unfair treatment of their customers.
      Please see the links below for summaries and full details from the FSA website.
      It is now completely clear that any arrears charges which exceed actual administrative costs are unfair and therefore unlawful.
      Furthemore, irresponsible lending practices are also unfair and unlawful.
      Additionally there are other unfair practices including unarranged counsellor visits - even if they have been attempted.
      You are entitled to refuse counsellor visits and not incur any charges.
      Any charges for counsellor visits must not seek to make profits. The cost of the visits must be passed on to you at cost price.
      We are hearing stories of people being charged for counsellor visits for which there is no evidence that they were even attempted.
      It is clear that some mortgage lenders are trying to cheat you out of your money.
      You should ascertain how much has been taken from you and claim it back. The chances of winning are better than 90%. It is highly likely that the lender will attempt to avoid court action and offer you back your money.
      However, you should ensure that you receive a proper rate of interest and this means that you should be seeking at least restitutionary damages - which would be much higher than the statutory 8%.
      Furthermore, you should assess whether the paying of demands for unlawful excessive charges has also out you further into arrears and if this has caused you further penalties in terms of extra interest or any other prejudice. This should be claimed as well.
      If excessive unlawful charges have resulted in your credit file being affected, then you should take this into account also when working out exactly what you want by way of remedy from the lender.
      You should consult others on these forums when considering any offer.
      You must not make any complaint through the Ombudsman. your time will be wasted, you will wait up to 2 yrs and there will be a minimal 8% award of interest and no account will be taken of any other damage you have suffered.
      You must make your complaint through the County Court for a rapid and effective remedy.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/Communication/PR/2010/120.shtml
      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/redstone.pdf
      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/db_uk.pdf

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/consumerinformation/firmnews/2011/db_mortgages.shtml
      Do you have a mortage arears claim to make? Then post your story on the forum here
      • 0 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4749 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Found this site through money saving expert- v glad i did! Just had £30 charge and notice of £28 unauthorised o/draft charge for being £2 over my overdraft! £58 to resolve issue over £2, i'd say that's excessive.

My problem is i have both halifax and bank of scotland accounts. would i be better writing 2 seperate letters or as they are now supposedly HBOS will 1 letter be ok?

Thanks for all the great info!

Halifax: £478 (+ interest & cost) reimbursed

Halifax Visa: £370 - 1/2 back so far

Bank of Scotland: £802 (+ interest & costs) court ordered to pay (BoS failed to respond)

2 letters

Thanks!

When i actually thought about it it's obvious. Sent my letters this morning. Did try speaking to branch manager but was told charges were something i'd agreed to etc...

Bank of Scotland: £802 (+ interest & costs) court ordered to pay (BoS failed to respond)

Sent both letters last week. Just for fun put extra note at bottom asking if banks could supply invoice of their costs which are covered by the charges.

Very flustered person called the other day saying he didn't think that would be possible. Something mumbled about not having access to that info. Asked him to confirm that in writing along with details of any intervention etc...

Good to know my money is in safe hands!

Finally got Halifax statements but still waiting for Bank of Scotland. Sent away letter asking for £450 back so expecting automated no letter any day now. Will get letter before action sorted and have look at moneyclaim again.

Woman at phone banking was telling me they've had loads of these letters recently.

If they ask me to pay back overdraft because of this can i do anything? Noticed post about threats to close accounts being wrong but not sure where I stand with overdraft

..not sure where I stand with overdraft..

Interesting thread on that note

Cheers!

Looks like i might have to sort out another overdraft with different bank just incase.

Fully intend to close account if they demand overdraft back anyway. I've already got another account set up.

Well, still not got statements from Bank Of Scotland. Get different excuse each time I call. Should be here tomorrow apparently (won't hold my breath!)

Halifax seem to be bit quicker. Have just had letter offering me £75 goodwill gesture. Rather generously they provided pre-paid envelope in which I sent my refusal and gave them 7 days to offer me full amount.

Apparently they tried to call me but as they called my parents house I was 'unavailable to take (their) call.' In my letter I also pointed out that any future calls should probably be to my current number not my previous number. Sometimes I wonder wether they pay attention!

Pleased to see lots of people getting charges back now, hopefully won't be long now!

When do your 40 days end? Surely it can't be long now? Have you threatened them with reporting to the IC?

Sky

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

40 days are up today! Mentioned this when last called- nice woman assured me they would be here (hope she wasn't lying.)

Postman will probably come after I've left for work so won't find out till tonight.

Will definitely report to I.C. if don't get them

Well, got home to find postman left nothing for me! Away to read up on I.C. so I can complain. Phoned Bank of Scotland to let them know and was told statements should be here today.

Don't believe a word they say anymore. Just want money back and accounts closed

Have finally got B of S statements- yeah!

Letters requesting £750 from B of S and £350 from Halifax visa now sent.

Halifax have just sent their third letter telling me they will not repay charges for last 6 years. Funny, I've only had account 3 years and never mentioned 6 years in any letter (a new automated letter in use now!) They did offer me £50 and £150 but I asked for £450.

Going for a fun morning out to the court tomorrow to file claim. Hopefully get money back soon got to get wedding present for my cousin.

Quick update:

Did get BoS statements and still waiting to hear back from them.

Halifax visa sent me e-mail saying " We have received the details of the OFT findings and are studying those findings closely, assessing the impact this has on all of our customers. There is no change to our current fee refund policy and we do not expect to make any announcements before the 31st May...I trust this clarifies the situation, Should you require further assistance,

please do not hesitate to contact our call centre on the above number."

Well obviously just sent them LBA and they have until tommorow to get back to me.

Halifax claim has gone to court yesterday (should have been couple of weeks ago but I'm skint so couldn't afford the £39.) I f nothing else at least I'll get interest now (fingers crossed!)

Just to let you know, i got in touch with RBS recently and they told me they could transfer my bank (HBOS) across to theirs for no fee and set up all of my direct debits in their bank. Plus i think they are offering £100 to switch at the moment. Maybe something worth looking into?

Ony a suggestion RichardK.

They are all as bad as each other i'm afraid. Once i have all of my money back, i dont see why getting a hundred pounds extra would be a bad thing!

Just to let you know, i got in touch with RBS recently and they told me they could transfer my bank (HBOS) across to theirs for no fee and set up all of my direct debits in their bank. Plus i think they are offering £100 to switch at the moment. Maybe something worth looking into?

Because the RBoS are so much better with regarding to charging and fees?!

Bank of Scotland - £4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.

Next - Capital One :D

It says in your signature that you are worried about 8 month timescale to get it all back? What do you mean?

Sky

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

Thanks daniel_r_clarke, will definitely look at RBOS. Figure all banks going to be about as crap as each other too but £100 sounds good!

It says in your signature that you are worried about 8 month timescale to get it all back? What do you mean?

Sky

Maximum possible time for claiming for 4 lots of £750, if they were to defend I expect. I think I worry unduly, to be honest, but I really wish Scotland had the same small claims limit as England & Wales.

Bank of Scotland - £4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.

Have to agree about that! Let's all move to England. My BoS claim is £802 to make sure I get that £52 I'll have to make two claims (bums!)

i will have to make 4 claims to reclaim my lot. Hopefully once the second claim goes in they will settle the total outstanding amount.

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

I'm thinking about Summary Cause. Costs the same to file... the risks are marginally greater, but only if they defend.

Was thinking about that myself, seems unlikely the banks would ever win even if they did go to court. Sods law though, just know I would be first they tried the whole court thing with.

Might try fruitycar's idea though. Take them to court for 1st lot then call them and see if they want to just give me the 2nd.

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4749 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you
Please fill in your quit date here