• Tweets

• I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
    • That's an idea on Maquarie. On being accountable, you also have to blame Ofwat and possibly the Environment Agency although they've been badly defunded. I put the Frost article up for balance.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

valhala vs hsbc

valhala
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

This is now my third time in reclaiming bank charges. My first claim was successful in getting £200 back from nationwide. Last week I got just under £1000 back for my wife from HSBC, I was quite surprised that they settled before the case was filled on moneyclaim, it was a few hundred short of what she could have got but I feel in the present climate it was wise to accept.

Now my claim is for £4900 from HSBC. I am slightly worried this time as I did run my account extremely badly which resulted in HSBC closing my account and passing the debt onto Intrum Jusitia. I have an agreement of paying £100 back on a monthly basis.

I could have filled my claim on moneyclaim around 3 weeks ago but I thought I would give them a couple of extra weeks just in case they were going to make an offer, my last contact with HSBC was a letter threatening action if they did not pay back within 14 days, I did also say under "without prejudice" that if they were to pay me £3800 within the 14 days I would accept, basically I was willing to drop the interest.

Anyway I filled online on Sunday and just checked online and see they have acknowledged which means they have a further 28 days.

Anyway does anyone have any advice on getting it settled before court proceedings, I am willing to accept less if they make an offer within this 28 days, and now once I get their document I am thinking of writing to their legal team....is this advisable or still best to write to HSBC themselves....also if someone could point me to a template letter which could be used in this sort of situation I would be most grateful.

I will update this thread as things change..

cheers

cantosis

The before court action offers are a lottery,,, just depends whos claim they pull out of the pile so dont worry you didnt wait.

You have now filed your claim with the county courts so you will be dealing with DG Solicitors,,,, you wont hear anything from them at all untill they make an offer so dont worry.

You have / will get a notice of issue of your claim... it has a deemed served date on it, this is the date you count your 28 (calendar) days from. you will also get a notice of acknowledgement about a week after the notice of issue... send in copies of your schedule of claim to both DG and the court when you get this.

After midnight on your 28th day, if MCOL hasnt changed to defended hit the judgement button and ask fo judgment in your favour.

let us know how you get on

pete

• Haha 1

Just one question regarding claiming back charges, when I won tha case for my wife one of the things I noticed in the letter was "we will not pay back some of the money that goes back longer then six years". I started her claim in March and at the time I wrote the letter I had included charges from 6 years ago march, obviously by the time it was settled it was June.

Is this just a tactic they use to pay less?. Basically can I claim back from the date I send the first letter even if its almost 3 months later that they try and pay up?

I am just asking as my claim goes back April 2001 so obviously that is over 6 years now even though my first letter was sent April 2007.

No there is a statute of limitations in place that limits your claim to 6 years from the date you file your claim with the court.... however it is possible to go past this limit, if you have a spare couple of days to do some reading do a search on Bong, she went back over the 6 year limit.

Ignore the contractual interest element though this has now had precedent set and isnt worth arguing... you wont get it.

pete

I recieved the acknoledgement of service letter from Northampton County Court today. HSBC intend to defend all of this claim(no surprise here then).

The solicitor is a "Kate Eaves" anyway this is dated 27th June 2007. what should I do now?

When I did my claim against nationwide I didn`t do anything and about 2 days before the 28 days was up they paid the funds back into my account. I have also done HSBC for my wife and they made an offer before I started court action.

Is it just a case of sitting tight for a couple of weeks now....any advice most appriciated.

Once you have filed your claim, you need to send 2 copies of your schedule of charges, clearly marked with your claim no. + a brief covering letter asking for them to be filed with your claim to:

The Court Manager,

Money Claim Online

Northampton County Court

21-27 St. Katharine's Street

Northampton

NN1 2LH

Dear Sir/Madam

(Your Name) –v- (Bank)

Claim No: ********

Date Issued: xx/xx/xx

Please find enclosed a schedule of penalty charges taken from me by the defendant, along with interest claimed at the annual rate of 8% pursuant to section 69 of the County Court Act. The interest in addition to the amount in charges equates to the total amount of my claim, namely £(AMOUNT).

I respectfully request that the enclosed schedule should be attached to the particulars of my claim.

Yours sincerely,

Wait until you receive the Notice of Acknowledgement (not the Notice of Issue) from the court and then send a copy to the bank’s solicitors, since they are the ones who will now be dealing with your claim

DG's details will be on page 2 of the acknowl.

Dear Sir,

(Your Name) -v- (Bank)

Please find enclosed a copy of my schedule of charges relating to the above claim.

(If, and only if, you are claiming overdraft interest on your penalties, also include this paragraph)

I understand you have a policy of initially rejecting claims for overdraft interest. However, should this be the case after you have reviewed my claim, you should be aware that my claim for overdraft interest has been meticulously calculated and double checked. It only ever relates to the cumulative charges within the overdrawn balance of the account at the point that the overdraft interest was debited

If it is that in your view the interest is not claimable, I am prepared to discuss this with yourseves and the judge in court.

Yours sincerely,

Ok Thanks for that.

I have seen quite a lot on recent threads about the list of charges and the fact you should write what each charge is for.

I used the tool on the Martin Lewis site which doesn`t have an option to put what the charge is for. since I didn`t have any overdraft on my account I am claiming from I was wondering if this is still ok?. I have used this calculater on my last two claims and I wasn`t asked for what the charge was for before. I just don`t feel like going through it all again as my charges came on statements fron HSBC.

Some Judges dont like the MSE schedule of charges because it doesnt realy have the detail necessary, they normaly ask for further and better particulars.

If your not claiming overdraft interest have a look at the CAG simple spread sheet or just carry on with what you have, it was fine for your local court twice before so no reason to think they wont like it the third time.

pete

Once you have filed your claim, you need to send 2 copies of your schedule of charges, clearly marked with your claim no. + a brief covering letter asking for them to be filed with your claim to:

The Court Manager,

Money Claim Online

Northampton County Court

21-27 St. Katharine's Street

Northampton

NN1 2LH

Dear Sir/Madam

(Your Name) –v- (Bank)

Please find enclosed a schedule of penalty charges taken from me by the defendant, along with interest claimed at the annual rate of 8% pursuant to section 69 of the County Court Act. The interest in addition to the amount in charges equates to the total amount of my claim, namely £(AMOUNT).

I respectfully request that the enclosed schedule should be attached to the particulars of my claim.

Yours sincerely,

Wait until you receive the Notice of Acknowledgement (not the Notice of Issue) from the court and then send a copy to the bank’s solicitors, since they are the ones who will now be dealing with your claim

DG's details will be on page 2 of the acknowl.

Dear Sir,

(Your Name) -v- (Bank)

Please find enclosed a copy of my schedule of charges relating to the above claim.

(If, and only if, you are claiming overdraft interest on your penalties, also include this paragraph)

I understand you have a policy of initially rejecting claims for overdraft interest. However, should this be the case after you have reviewed my claim, you should be aware that my claim for overdraft interest has been meticulously calculated and double checked. It only ever relates to the cumulative charges within the overdrawn balance of the account at the point that the overdraft interest was debited

If it is that in your view the interest is not claimable, I am prepared to discuss this with yourseves and the judge in court.

Yours sincerely,

Got both documents through so posted both letters to DG and the court today ;).

I`ll probably wait a week then send a without Prejudice letter to DG offering them the chance to settle at a lower offer although if they dont im going right to the end to get the full amount. I already sent one without prejudice letter to HSBC willing to accept 1k less and they didnt even answer

DG are a practice of Solicitors they are not commercialy minded. They will check your shedule of charges and if its legaly correct they will pay you the full amount when they have no further legal options to delay payment.

They are not going to pay you early to save a few pounds they dont think like that.

pete

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. My claim was issued on the 25th June, they acknowledged within days on the 27th June and since then they have not filled a defence. As far as I can work out I should have been able to do win by Default on midnight Sunday. It hasn`t worked then or today?

I must have my dates wrong, if the claim was issued on the 25th June and they Acknowledged on the 27th June when can I do the default?

cheers, well i guess they will file a defence today or tomorrow. If they dont its not going to make much difference as I have read from here that courts always give them an extra 10 days. people getting paid out by default is rare?

Wait for the notice of transfer from MCOL and then start nudging DG.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I have recieved the defence yesterday dated 27th July, because of the postal strike its been delayed . The A/Q has been dispensed and now my case is being transfered to Croydon Court.

I think I am going to be made redundant in the next few weeks so I would hope I might get a payout.

I have written to DG and have said I would accept 3500 instead of the £4998 I am claiming and I would also sign a document to say I wont make further claims(I know longer have an account with them so am not bothered).

I just want to get something really, I dont want to wait for the result of the test case.

Any other tips to help me along??

• 2 months later...

I have been busy with other stuff and this bank charge stuff has taken a back seat, I guess because of the Test Case I have nopt really been keeping up for a few weeks.

Anyway it has come to my attention that my case is due in Croydon Court on Tuesday. I did recieve a letter from DG saying they would be applying for a stay.

Anyway I have not got anything ready for this, will there be an automatic stay or do I need to still get ready for court, I have not prepared a bundle or anything yet :x

you should phone your court on Monday and see what they are expecting, if you have ignored any court directions in theory DG could ask for your claim to be struck out.

What did your court notification say you needed to provide?

pete

I am at work now but ill check later when I get home, I do remember it said the AQ was not needed but that is all I remember right now.