Steerpike v HSBC

Steerpike
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Heard about this fantastic site on TV and want to try and reclaim against HSBC. I've been with them for over 6 years and guess they have taken thousands in charges from me in this time. Given that they recently refused to temporarily extend my overdraft at a time when I was desperate (despite my having regularly paid thousands into their coffers and even taking out a loan with them) I feel doubly motivated to have some of my money back from them.

My biggest fear is for them to try and close my account and/or ask for the OD to be repaid instantly (in other words, they may lose their rag) - I'm not daunted by this but wondered if I should set up a new account with another bank NOW - even before asking for full charges details using the Data Protection Letter. If so, can anyone recommend a decent internet bank for basic current accounts?

Looking forward to getting to know you all

S

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hello steerpike and welcome to cag... this truly is a wonderful site offering loads of help. first and foremost, get as much info as you can by reading the FAQ's on the site.. it would help you tremendously as to the steps you need to take. and also, read threads of those who are still on the process of claiming and those who have successfully won their claims. i tell you they are amazing to read.. some are highly entertaining and very encouraging and inspirational.

basing on my experience, i did open another account first before i started everything. i felt more secure that way. so far, i've read that hsbc does not close account on first claims. as to other banks, majority are being claimed from as you can see in the main forum pages.. as what one very helpful advise given to me said- try to avoid incurring charges in the future... so goodluck to you and dont be afraid to ask even if u think your queries sound realy daft~ everyone here in cag are willing to help.. again, take your time and goodluck! happy new year by the way:)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]S.A.R. sent 30 October-reply received 10 november[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Prelim letter sent 28 november- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]LBA sent 13 december- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]MCOL filed 30 december- issued 02/01/07[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]loveletter from colin received 02/01/07-saying will get in touch on feb 9[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]acknowledged claim on 4 jan- has until 1 feb to defend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]defence entered 31 jan 2007[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]offer received 1-2-2007... still waiting for the moolah though:cool: ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]and moolah arrives 1-march 2007!!! Praise the Lord!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

they sent mine back anyway, still sent the statements, so wouldn't worry much anyway..

HSBC

09th June 2006 - Data Protection Act Request

21st June 2006 - Acknowledgement from HSBC

30th June 2006 - 33 letters arrive - 6yrs statements

01st July 2006 - Preliminary request for £2868.24.

12th July 2006 - HSBC offered me £1995, I declined.

17th July 2006 - LBA sent, now £2970

01st August 2006 - MCOL for £3778 (inc 8% + fees)

08th August 2006 - HSBC defending ....

31st August 2006 - SETTLED IN FULL - Wooooooohoooooo.

Halifax

09th June 2006- Data Protection Act Request

22nd June 2006 - Acknowledgement from Halifax

08th July 2006 6yrs statements arrive.

10th July 2006 - Preliminary request for £1393.08.

21st July 2006 - Halifax offered £115, I declined..

24th July 2006 - LBA sent, now £1421.

08th August 2006 - MCOL for £1822 (inc 8% and fees)

16th August 2006 - SETTLED IN FULL - woooohoooo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.,

I have recently sent my Data Access letter to HSBC for details of the charges levied on my account since 2000. I reckon I will be owed a fair few grand as being with HSBC has coincided with the greatest period of financial instability in my life so far.

I had already intended to change banks to Cahoot and have just applied for a Cahoot current account. So I do intend moving m to Cahoot before my next paycheque.

My big fear is this:- I am currently overdrawn with HSBC to the tune of £-700. Plus, I have a personal loan with them which now stands at £3900. I have never missed a payment on the loan. I feel I am locked in a vicious cycle with HSBC – they know I have undergone difficulties recently – divorce, child support etc…but they recently failed to show me any leniency at a time when I ran dry completely (and had to live off beans for 2 weeks!) and they know I am going to go overdrawn and trigger yet more charges – which all helps to keep me in this damn position! So I am determined to move but my fear is what HSBC can demand in respect of my OD and loan if I move? I had intended to write to them (after moving) to advise I intend to keep re-paying the loan on the terms already agreed and to pay, say, £30 per month off my OD.

Any ideas and/or support would be appreciated.

Thanks

You got my support bro :cool: as for the other q's well as far as i have read hsbc dont seem to close your account unless/until you try and claim a second time and as for the OD/LOAN i think (again based on what i have read on here) they wont touch the loan but MIGHT ask/demand that any monies be paid into an OD account. i hope someone with more experience might be able to answer more thoroughly but good luck bro and fight for whats yours, remember hsbc suck and very nearly ruined me a couple of years ago im still paying the price with defaults issued by them...... Dont let them do the same to you!!!!

• Preliminary letter sent 15/01/2007 received 16/01/2007 :cool:
  • LBA sent 29/01/2007 received 30/01/2007 8-)
  • Mcol filed on 12/02/2007 8-) acknowledged 14/02/2007

Hi.,

I have recently sent my Data Access letter to HSBC for details of the charges levied on my account since 2000. I reckon I will be owed a fair few grand as being with HSBC has coincided with the greatest period of financial instability in my life so far.

I had already intended to change banks to Cahoot and have just applied for a Cahoot current account. So I do intend moving m to Cahoot before my next paycheque.

My big fear is this:- I am currently overdrawn with HSBC to the tune of £-700. Plus, I have a personal loan with them which now stands at £3900. I have never missed a payment on the loan. I feel I am locked in a vicious cycle with HSBC – they know I have undergone difficulties recently – divorce, child support etc…but they recently failed to show me any leniency at a time when I ran dry completely (and had to live off beans for 2 weeks!) and they know I am going to go overdrawn and trigger yet more charges – which all helps to keep me in this damn position! So I am determined to move but my fear is what HSBC can demand in respect of my OD and loan if I move? I had intended to write to them (after moving) to advise I intend to keep re-paying the loan on the terms already agreed and to pay, say, £30 per month off my OD.

Any ideas and/or support would be appreciated.

Thanks

Get your last 6 years statements first and foremost, then go from there. I get the impression you're going to claim back more than the -£700 ? As for the loan, is it an agreed loan? If so, then they can't suddenly demand it be paid back earlier than the signed agreement. Once you receive your monies back, it may well be paid into your account, but at least your o/draft gets paid off, and perhaps some left over to indulge yourself with...Keep us posted...I've just started a claim with HSBC also

Just hate every DCA out there

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've gone through my last 6 years statements from HSBC (current account). The excel simple spreadsheet I have used from this site, to calculate the charges, mentions charges such as Unpaid cheque charge and cleared transaction. My statements only lists "total charges to **/**/**" under the code DR. As far as I can see, these charges range from £18 in a month I havent exceeded my OD limit to £125 in a month when I have.

In other words, I cannot differentiate what the "total charges" are for. Am I right to simply add up these monthly charges and claim these? Or are HSBC expecting me to tell them exactly what charges I am claiming even though I cant see they have been at all clear what they have charged me for?

Thank you. I will just send them the template letter with the total charges entered on the spreadsheet schedule then. I cannot find any other charges levied on me other than those listed under "total charges".

One small point: I imagine that if you make a mistake (and going through 6 years worth of statements, this is quite likely!) then are they entitled to kick out your claim? I would guess that if you underclaim, they will be ok but will be obstructive if you overstate your claim. Is this right?

just take your time when going through your statements. use a highlighter pen and enter onto the spreadsheet exactly what it says on the statement. they won't kick out your claiming something incorrectly - they will not pay that particular item! simple as that. just remember you cannot claim for things like ATM fees or stopped cheques etc, as they are a fee for a service. returned dd/so's, charges for going overdrawn, charges for unpaid items - all claimable. again, take your time.

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just received a reply from HSBC on day 14 (the last day) after having sent the prelim letter. It is a stalling letter saying they are looking into it. It also mentions a leaflet explaining bank charges (NOT enclosed!!).

Do I now send the Letter Before Action or wait for them to get back to me?

Thanks

Once your LBA is away its a good idea to register with MCOL, you can start to enter the information for your court claim, there is no problem with logging off and going back later to enter details you needed to find or to edit what you entered earlier.

That way you claim will be ready and you will be happy with it on the day you submit it

pete

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I thought you meant s69 8% interest

Vampiress has a spreadsheet, (the advanced one), in the bank templates library, which attempts to calculate the OD interest

It's quite complex and unless your claim is large may not amount to that much, so for simplicity's sake, some people don't bother

For just s69 8%, use the Simple S/S here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

See here for a visual guide:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bcard-woolwich-successes/7226-maisielou-barclays.html#post50088

When entering your charges, don’t delete anything first. Just overwrite the existing examples: type of charge, amount and date.

The days since and 8% will be calculated automatically