• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

British Gas complaint - help needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an ongoing dispute with British Gas and would welcome anyone’s help and opinion as to whether they think I have a case. To explain the entire problem would be lengthy, so I have kept it brief, but can go into more detail if required.

1. I have 7 radiators in my house, which approximately 18 months ago became stuck on, so they were continuously blasting out heat.

2. I contacted British Gas, who firstly replaced a pump (did not fix the problem), but insisted I needed a powerflush to remove gunk in the system.

3. Powerflush undertaken and cost approximately £500, which has been paid.

4. Immediately following powerflush (within 2-4 weeks) 4 radiators leaked. The sill along the bottom broke and water flooded out bleaching the carpets. 4 radiators were turned off to prevent them refilling with water.

5. Contacted British Gas, who sent a technician to view the damage. The technician confirmed the leaking was caused by the powerflush and that it was the worst damage he had ever seen. I have homecare and therefore was told that the 4 radiators would be replaced free of charge. I agreed to replacement.

6. To maintain consistency throughout the house I also agreed to pay for the 3 good radiators to be replaced. Cost quoted at approximately £900. I was told that the 3 good radiators were not covered by homecare because they had not leaked.

7. Within a couple of weeks of the technician leaving radiator number 5 began leaking. Again bleaching the carpet, but also running through the ceiling and damaging the wall paper in my hall. Radiator 5 was turned off to prevent it refilling with water. I also turned off radiators 6 and 7 in anticipation of them leaking, and to prevent any subsequent damage.

8. Technician arrived and replaced all 7 radiators. British Gas have billed me for £900. The technician advised me when he fitted the radiators, that the powerflush was not the answer to my initial problem of the radiators being stuck on. I was told the problem actually related to the pump, so therefore the powerflush was unnecessary. Technician observed wallpaper and carpet damage.

I am disputing the bill for £900 and requesting reimbursement of the powerflush bill of £500. I am also requesting British Gas compensate me for the damage to my carpets and wall paper.

My contention is that the powerflush was unnecessary and that it caused the damage (confirmed by British Gas technician and I have his name). All radiators would have leaked in time, proved by radiator 5 and only prevented because I turned off radiator 6 and 7. I believe that all 7 radiators should be covered by my homecare agreement and replaced free of charge.

So far I have sent a letter to British Gas outlining my complaint. I have received a phone call from a lady (not particularly helpful), but the upshot of her call was that British Gas were unwilling to cancel the £900, not willing to refund £500 neither were they willing to compensate me for the damage to my carpet and wallpaper. Her reason being that I agreed to the powerflush and to pay for the 3 good radiators at the time of the technician’s first visit. However the lady, although I suspect not technically trained, did state in her call that a powerflush would not be the answer to the problem of stuck on radiators. But she also insists the powerflush did not cause the damage to my radiators, despite a technician saying otherwise. I have asked her to put her comments in writing, but have not yet received them. I did point out to her that my radiators had worked perfectly for 20 years, and only leaked after the powerflush. She was unwilling to accept the two incidents were related, but could not offer any explanation why the radiators had leaked.

I have to admit that her call took me a little by surprise, so I don’t feel I argued my point as well as I could have done so. I therefore called British Gas to discuss the complaint further, but I did not take the lady’s name so could not speak with her. I was told that the complaints/billing department was shut and that someone would call me back, but so far I have hear nothing. I was told that my complaint would be reopened.

Do I have a good case? And if so what should my next step be? I have considered small claims, but is that the next step? I am confident I could argue my case successfully, and suspect that for the money involved they would probably concede before it got to this stage, but is there any easier way?

Is the lady I spoke to, simply not at the correct level to deal with my request? Do British Gas have a legal department? And If I spoke to them would they be more receptive?

If it helps I have a copy of my letter to British Gas and can post it if necessary. It basically outlines the above in a bit more detail.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you deal with British Gas for anything, and I mean anything, send letters by recorded delivery to Sam Laidlaw Chief Executive, sorry I cant find full address but its on this site somewhere. I found the 'Customer nonservice' staff to be totally and completely useless.

Soon as you write to the top man things get done.

Hi,

Anyone have the address of Sam Laidlaw Chief Executicw, I need to complain, I have a homeplan agreement whereby they are supposed to service the boiler yearly, and they have always been late by 2/3 months. I am going to ask them to refund the difference, plus compensation for breaching their agreement.

Hi

I have read your thread with interest.

In my opinion you have a good case, and I would be inclined to take it to Trading Standards have a look at their websitre here Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

I had a complaint with British Gas and found energywatch extremely helpful, whay not have a look at their website and email them to see if they will help.

energywatch: Home Page

Keep at them. BG have the most complaints against them in the last 3 months of the financial year (see energywatch website for details) but getting a heavy on your side will help!

• 1 year later...

as mrsfoot stated just goto energywatch and stop wasting your time sending mail to BG which will only delay the complaint longer, the changes within BG regarding OFGEM/ENERGYWATCH complaints means that when either of those 2 contact BG beleive me they will bend over backwards to settle the complaint

in regards to the result of the complaint i dont know what the outcome would be but you have a fair point from i what can see having read your original post

• 4 months later...

Not sure if this has been resolved yet, but hope I can help. I work for british gas as a complaint handler in one of the offices.

With regards to the damage, call in to the office and tell them you want the details of your situation passed to the field manager for your area. This manager will contact you once passed the details, and, since it is property damage, they almost always call to inspect the damage and subsequently arrange a visit from our loss adjusters.

With regards to the misinformation, the valve stuck open can be caused by sludge, and it is a fairly common problem to be honest. Sometimes one problem can be brought to light when another is fixed.

Again, when the field manager visits, the claim this powerflush would not have remedied your problem will be investigated. If the charges are to be written off, it will come from the field manager's budget, so it's up to him.

When writing a letter of complaint, you should send it to your local office. If you're still not happy, leave a comment with where you live and I can point you to the right people.

Handyman.