Unidebt Collections

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Long story short........

I had a business 6 years ago with a business partner and we signed a joint and several agreement with the NatWest for an overdraft - we then fell out and agrred to pay half each to clear the debt. I duly did so but then found out he hadn't. Since then I have been paying a nominal amount per month to pay his side but the that half is now back up to the full amount with interest and charges. My ex-partner will never pay anything as he just doesn't care. It seems to me that if you are honest you get hit harder by these guys.

They are now sending me very threatening letters - Help, what can I do???????

First thing to do I think is claim back the charges. If you send off a SAR this will give you a breakdown of all the info you need. A template for the SAR is located here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

I would also put at the top of the SAR THIS ACCOUNT IS NOW IN DISPUTE. At the very least send this recorded delivery.

It seems to me that if you are honest you get hit harder by these guys.

Unfortunately that is true as you are deemed to be the soft target.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Can you not instruct the bank to chase your ex-partner for it?

Surely if you both "jointly" signed the agreement for the overdraft and you've paid your bit, then your ex-partner is liable for the rest?

To quote Public Enemy.........

"Fight the power, fight the powers that be" :D

Doesn't really work that way unfortunately KeefG. Joint liability means both parties are equally liable for the full amount of the debt, not one party pays half and the other pays half.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Unlucky mate.....can you not go round his house and beat him senseless then?

It wont achieve a great deal but you'll feel loads better for it ;)

To quote Public Enemy.........

"Fight the power, fight the powers that be" :D

Once you send them the SAR placing the account in dispute pay them nothing. They are not lawfully allowed to pursue an account that is in dispute. You may even find that they owe you money.

• 1 month later...

Hey

Just wondering if you have had a response from Unidebt as yet. I am in a similar situation all be it I left the company 2 years ago with a compromise agreement indemnifying me against the PG on the overdraft. The company went into receivership last year (to my complete surprise) and now the big boys are knocking on my door. Trouble is I have never seen a balance sheet, interest charges and nobody seems to be able to tell me an actual sum owed.

I am inclined not to disclose anything or admit my liability but refer them to my ex-partner. I guess now I will have to take him to court to force payment so that the wolves go away. Any advice out there would be welcome.

The S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) is winging it's way to Unidebt - fingers crossed and I'll let you know.

Thanks so much for the advice.

KeefG - I wish buddy, what a great feeling that would be!!

I'm afraid I haven't heard a jot yet......

Aren't business partners just grand - I have contemplated court action against mine but my lawyer tells me that the PG situation is very difficult. If he is willing to be dishonest or even bankrupt himself (I'm sure he would) then I would be left with the debt and the court costs!! I can't believe I was so stupid ..............

I am seriously considering letting Unidebt take me to court, I believe (as does my lawyer) that I have a very good case with them.

Surely your letter will protect you, did your bank agree to releasing you as well?

They won't tell me any straight answers on amounts due or paid either, they just keep saying they can't due to data protection - I had to work it out for myself (what the total was minus what I had paid originally) but the interest was pretty riduculous and pretty much brought it back to the original sum - they are really not good to deal with at all.

If I hear anything at all I'll let you know.

K :evil:

• 8 months later...

I'm having some issues trying to find a contact number for unidebt, having mis placed any communication i received from them, although I’ve not heard from them in years! does anyone know of a working telephone number? other forums have listed one, but i don't think that works. having read things oh here i am sceptical i will receive a reply via post!

Why do you wish to phone them? We generally advice that you don't phone such companies.

Unidebt screwed me around for over a year - every mail, call, fax etc. I sent was ignored. They are on a processsed track and can't divert. Even though my mails were registered and I had proof of delivery. They are incompetants.................if you haven't heard from them in years maybe it's best to keep your head down

• 3 weeks later...

I had a number for them but I tried it and it didn't work either!! :-|

I eventually got a letter back from them following my SAR - it didn't really tell me much but I have to admit I have been totally lazy and done nothing yet - in fact, am still paying £15 a month to them - I am just too scared to stop it as I have a new business now and can't afford to have any bad debt.

HELP - what should I do? This has been on-going for YEARS .............