Misled by Barlcays - additions charges

louisawoo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help or if someone has had the same experience as me. I have seen a lot of posts where people have had their Barclays Accounts upgraded to Additions without their say so, however, my case is slightly different.

When I was 19, about 4-5 years ago I went into my local branch to ask if I could have an overdraft, at the time I had some sort of young persons account. I sat with an advisor and they set it all up for me. At no time was it ever explained to me about an account fee for extras such as breakdown cover, travel insurance etc. I would have remembered as at the time I did not drive so would have said I didnt want it. Then in the forst month of my new account £80 was taken out. I phoned and was tolds this was for a healthcare plan - which at 19 years old I told them I did not want - they refunded it back into my account. Then over the next 4 -5 years I have been paying bewtween £8 and £11 a month for the account, which I thought was normal. I phoned to ask what this was for and they explained that it was for extras such as breakdwon cover. I asekd them to cancel which they did.

I believe I was misled as at no time did the advisor in the branch ask if I wanted to pay these extras as I would have said no, being a sixth form student I wouldnt have paid for such 'extras'. I now want to claim these charges back but have no idea where to start or even if I will have a case. Please help! If anyone has any advise please post here or email me on:

Many thanks

Yes you can, go into your local branch tell them you want to make a formal complaint about being mis sold one of the products..

Dont let tehm fob you off...you didnt sign it, no-one did.

Get your funds back

tell them you have been advised and will seek court action if necessary.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

thanks for your quick reply. Do you think I should make a complaint in writing? I'm not very good face to face and think I would be a push over. should I request statements from when the accout was upgraded to get an idea of what they have charged me over the years - can I request this from the branch or a barclays headoffice - will they charge me for this service?

thanks

you can request the information from either, your branch will send it off to head office so youd be better off sending it to there in the first place.

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

send it by recorded delivery

If you are requesting the information under the Data Protection Act 1998 you will need the SAR along with payment of £10 [which will prob be returned]

If you dont want to face them...dont!

if they phone you about it later,, do not agree to anything until you have it in writing from them.

Can't believe they pushed 'Additions' onto a sixth form student! How low is that?!? :mad:

Louisa, it's best to do all you can in writing. Writing is evidence; it's funny how often things get 'forgotten' when they're promised in conversation.

Post any questions here, you'll find loads of willing help.

;)

Great - thank you both for your replies.

So - I will send aletter asking Barclays to send me a copy of where I apparently signed for these 'extras' - will such a contract exist?, I cant remeber if I signed anything in the branch..? If it does I suppose I will be stumped. Also will ask for copies of my statements from the time my Additions account began. And also send them the S.A.R form - where would I get this? and a cheque for £10 made out to barclays? Sorry, bit of a beginner at all this...

thxs

Just a thought Louisa, but it's not really a good idea to post your personal email where everyone can see it. You never know who is reading this.

I'd suggest you go back and edit your first post; any CAG member can send you a private message (PM) without having to know your email.

;)

I will send aletter asking Barclays to send me a copy of where I apparently signed for these 'extras' - will such a contract exist?, I cant remeber if I signed anything in the branch..? If it does I suppose I will be stumped.

I don't know if anyone's actually seen such a thing...apparently you don't need to actually sign anything! The argument is that you've been 'mis-sold' the product. I can't see how they can argue that point if they've sold health insurance, motoring cover and an overdraft to a sixth former!

;)

I know, it is mad!

Sorry I am still confused. So send the letter saying 'data prot act - subject access request' and all the blurb. the bit where it says 'if I find you have levied disproportionate charges etc etc' - shall I take this out and replace with something else? - maybe mentioning that I was misled and will be recliaming all additions account charges that were taken out of my account until I stopped it?

do I send the chaeque and letter to the same place? head office address of barclays bank, posted below.

thanks for tip re: email address

L

The Data section is at:

Barclays Data Protection

Radbroke Hall

Knutsford

Cheshire

WA16 9EU

Send the letter and the cheque here.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the wording of the letter, the data people won't be much interested. The important thing at the moment is to get hold of the information. Just take out the bit about the charges, as it's not really relevant in this case.

;)

great. thanks so much for your help. Once I have the informatrion and calculate how much they have charged me over the years I suppose I can take the next step and send them a letter with these details informaing them that I want to claim them back?

yeah it is a long time. do you think I have a good chance. I know tat it is all about persevering. I suppose it would be ok for me to post on here once I have a list of all charges for some more advise on how to proceed

I've read other threads about Additions, and you should certainly get at least some of your money back. Barclays seem to readily settle for a year's fees. Getting more may be a bit more of a battle!

Post here when ever you feel the need!

:D

hmmmm interesting. Just phoned and spoke to a very helpful lady at head office who said she would send me copies of statements dating back to Sept 2002. Now I am slightly worried about a couple of things...

1) She said that these charges would only be added with my knowledge by the person I spoke to in the branch

2) I did go in there requesting the use of an overdraft but was not aware that I had to pay £10 a month for this - they did not make me aware at anytime that I would be charged for an overdraft

3) Apparently she said it would be hard to argue my case as when they put the prices up per month over the years I would have been written to notifying me and it would be my responsibility to stop them when I realised what it was for. I did receive these notices but I thought these were FREE extras and that I had to pay £10 a month for the privilege of a bank account - naieve I know.

Not sure how I will argue the case apart from they did not inform me properly from the start...

At the end of the day Louisa, there is no agreement saying you agree to pay £xx.00 per month for the privilage of having these so called benefits...

Ignore what she has said.

I complained face to face and within a week my fees were refunded [only 12 months but still a bonus]

Just be blunt.

A) You didnt agree to it

B) You want your money back.