Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Slightly off topic , just a quick question    another debt with Capquest - been ignoring for ages as refuses to supply signed docs and statement of account    finally supplied a list of transaction they say is from original creditor , but just an excel list of 29 transactions , no title , no account number ,  no headings   literally just a list of numbers on a Capquest paper - with Capquest small print in the footer .   obviously , I can see there is nothing to tie this list of numbers to me -    im looking for a good paragraph to send back    like *   Thanks for a list of numbers you have typed with no references , titles, account numbers or anything to show this is an original creditors statement , this is not my statement , and has not been provided by the creditor on creditor paperwork I j the format of a statement -  please provide as required the original statement as required by ..........     can you help ?
    • You arranged this delivery with P2G and I'm assuming that they used Hermes. This correct?   Were the hampers correctly declared? Was the value of the hampers correctly declared? –  You don't tell us what the value of these hampers was. Please could you tell us what each one was and the total.   Did you take out any of their so-called insurance?   In your first post you say that you are "… not really out-of-pocket." I take this to be a typo ??   Presumably you have sent hampers using the same companies before?   As suggested by my site team colleague above, please can you read thoroughly around the various Hermes stories in this sub- forum and start understanding all the various principles and also the journey that these claims normally take – which means a letter of claim, a County Court action, mediation – and then generally speaking, a settlement.   It is highly likely that your claim will have to follow the same route and you need to be well prepared to understand the principles involved and the steps to take.   In addition to reading up on the various Hermes stories on this forum, you should also understand the steps involved in taking a small claim in the County Court.   You may as well start to familiarise yourself with this process because if you are running a small business and you are dealing with suppliers et cetera then no doubt you will end up having to use the County Court system again  and so you will be learning some very useful transferable skills.    
    • Add in thoe who will refuse the Pfizer as they are afraid due to the reports of death and side effects from it That storage requirement is the big issue with its use.
    • As opposed to the instruction to medics that they must not use ‘spare’ doses of the vaccine for second doses or on anyone outside the designated groups you mean?  I’m unimpressed with either strategy.  Throwing it away or not using it at all - either way an’t doing any good.
    • How about something like? ...   Dear Simple Simon.   Ref PCN: **** VRM: **** Contravention Date: 06/10/2020 Issue Date (Posted): 22/10/2020 Date Received: 27/10/2020   Cheers for your Letter Before Action.  My local supermarket has completely run out of toilet paper, so it was good of you to help me out in these dark days of lockdown and panic-buying.   I've already told you on XX/XX/XXXX that I know your case is pants.  I see in the Letter Before Action you couldn't resist adding on the Unicorn Food Tax too so that's a spectacular own goal to add to the list .   How many times have you been hammered in court in Berkley centre cases?  If you want another thrashing, that's fine by me.  I will seek a full costs order due to unreasonable behaviour under CPR 27.14(2)(g), and I've already drafted my particulars of claim for breach of GDPR and the Data Protection Act.   I now look forward to your deafening silence.
  • Our picks

    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies
    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4952 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



I am really hoping that someone can help me with this. My ex-landlord lives abroad, but has given me a UK address for all correspondance regarding the property I rented from him. I recently filed a small claims claim against him as he was refusing to return my deposit.


Yesterday, he told me by email that he was going to pay me in full and was going to contact the courts to sort this out. I rang the court service today to see what was happening and was advised that as he lives abroad, they have no jurisdiction on this and he is now going to contest the judgement. They say that as the address that he gave to me was his parents address, I am unable to enforce the judgement at this address. So in effect, they are saying that he can do what the hell he likes because he lives in a different counrty!


Does anyone know what I can do? Does the fact that he has already emailed me to say he will pay me go in my favour and he should pay up?


Thanks in advance



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there Nightmare4banks. Thank youfor replying.


Yes he does still own the property that I rented from him. I had sent everythig to his parents which was the address he had given me for all correspondance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hanbanhansa in reply to your last post:


Providing the you get a court judgement against this guy you should be able to register a caution/interest against his property.This means that he would not be able sell or borrow money against the property without paying you.This maybe a very slow process as you do not know when he will borrow/sell however it gives you the comfort that he cannot "get away with it".


He may have left the country but his property is in this country - so as long as he does not challenge the action you are taking - Go for it!


We will help you all the way!


If you have any questions,just ask.


Keep us posted.


All the best!

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a question for Nightmare....Would Hanbanhansa be able to serve an English court writ abroad? Don't think so some how, but in light of all this new European Legislation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
This is a question for Nightmare....Would Hanbanhansa be able to serve an English court writ abroad? Don't think so some how, but in light of all this new European Legislation?


Dont need to serve a court writ abroad, the address that the land lord has given on the teanancy for serving papers is is parents address. This is where everything is served. Judgement can then be enforced (assuming its granted) as nightmare has suggested, by placing an order on the rented accomodation so if its sold you will get your money.

Link to post
Share on other sites


_________________________ _______________

If you want to get paid the money owed to you on a Judgment you will have to use the right method of Enforcement to be successful. If you have a final return from the County Court Bailiff don't be too disheartened it doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't there, more likely that the Bailiff just hasn't been able to contact them or seize any goods.

There are two basic types of Judgment that you will get:

1). Default Judgment where the debtor has not bothered to answer any documentation from the Court or has failed to file a Defence. When this is obtained the debtor can apply to have it Set Aside, (Enforcement stopped and the whole thing go back to a Hearing) if you try to Enforce it within 28 days of it being granted. After this period they will have to have a good reason.

2). After a Hearing or Determination from a Judge after considering the evidence. This can be enforced immediately.


Enforcement Procedures in order of preference.

1). Charging Order £55.00

2). Order to Attend £45.00 Not strictly a method of Enforcement.

3). 3rd Party Debt Order £55.00

4). Warrant of Execution:

up to £125 -£35.00

over £125- £55.00

over £600.00 Issue a Writ of Fi Fa through the S.L.C. (Sheriffs Lodgement Centre).

5). Statutory Demand £751.00 or over, Bankruptcy for Individual, Winding Up Order for Company

6). Attachment of Earnings Order £65.00


1). Charging Order

Carry out a Property Search on the address (H.M. Land Registry. co.uk), and obtain a Title Register: cost £3.00. If the property is owned by the Debtor, file an Application for a Charging Order at the Court (cost £55.00) once it has been filed with the Court you will receive An Interim Charging Order which you can file with the Land Registry against the property. You will then be given a Hearing for the Charging Order to be made Final and once this is granted you can have this registered on the property. If the Property is solely owned by the debtor you can have a full Charge registered, but if it is jointly owned and the Judgment is not in both names you will be given a Restriction.

This will not necessarily get you payment but will stop them getting any loans or being able to sell the house.

2). Order to Attend

Application for the Debtor or Officer of a Company to attend Court and give a detailed statement of their means and Assets. Enables you to obtain Bank/ Building Society Details that can have a 3rd Party Debt Order lodge against or vehicle details for a Warrant of Execution, Employment Details for an Attachment of Earnings Order or 3rd Party Debt Order against anybody that owes them money.

It also has the benefit that if they fail to turn up at the hearing another Order will be issued informing them that they can be sent to prison for Contempt of Court should they fail to turn up. If you sued the debtor in your own name as an individual the Court will normally serve these documents, but again the Court Bailiff’s aren’t that efficient. If they fail to achieve service then ask the Court for the documents to be returned to you for “Personal Service”. You can then serve them yourself or employ a Process Server to do the job for you normally about £45.00. If you did not sue as an Individual the Court will return the documents to you for service.

3). 3rd Party Debt Order

This is an Order from the Court to a person or entity that owes the debtor money, including Banks, Building Societies or clients and contracts as in the case of a self employed person or company. It will to all intent freeze a Bank Account up to the amount of your debt. The 3rd Party will be Ordered by the Court not to pay out any monies to the debtor except where there are sufficient funds over the amount claimed. There will be a Hearing listed where the 3rd party will be requested to attend if they dispute the Order. If they do not dispute the Order and have not informed you that there are insufficient funds to satisfy the Order the Court will make a Final Order for the money to be paid to you.

4). Warrant of Execution or High Court Writ

This is where the Bailiff (either the County Court of the Sheriff’s High Court Enforcement Officer) is issued with a Warrant to Seize Goods belonging to the Debtor and have them sold if the debt isn’t paid. It is only effective where the Bailiff can obtain “Peaceful Entry” into the debtors address to seize goods. There is no legal right currently for a County Court Bailiff or Sheriff’s Officer to enter domestic property in order to seize goods, however this does not apply to commercial premises. For debts exceeding £600.00 the Sheriff is a far better option as he will charge a commission to the debtor and also must be used for debts over £5,000.00.


5). Statutory Demand: Debt over £751.00 not payable by instalment’s

This is not in fact a Court document, but one that can be issued by anybody that is owed an un-disputed debt. Therefore if you have a Judgment it is a legitimate method of Enforcement and is very effective. It is a precursor to Bankruptcy in the case of an Individual or a Winding Up Order in the case of a Limited Company or Partnership.


An Individual is given 21 days to pay the debt or Apply to have it Set Aside, (grounds are needed for this), if they fail to Pay then you

can have them Declared Bankrupt. This can be expensive and it is not recommended that you proceed without using a suitably qualified person (Solicitor or somebody that knows what they are doing).You might not want to actually declare them Bankrupt, and it is not compulsory for you do so, but the thought of this can certainly have a dramatic effect on a debtor. This document will need to be

served on the debtor and it is best to use a Process Server to do so, as they will serve it Personally (hand it to the debtor) and complete an Affidavit of Service for you.

A Limited Company is given 18 days to reply and cannot apply to have the Demand Set Aside. You can lodge for the company to be Wound Up after 21 days from the service of the documents on them. It is also best if this document is served on the debtor personally and it is best to use a process Server to do so, this document can be served at the Registered Office of the debtor or any business

premises that they normally use. The Registered Office is always best and again an Affidavit of Service to prove this will be completed by the Process Server.


In any case with a Limited Company you should always check with Companies House to see whether the Company has any Notices filed against it to be Wound Up before proceeding.


6). Attachment of Earnings Order

This is most probably the least effective method of Enforcement as once you have applied for it the Court will send the debtor a form with an option for voluntary payments before making an order against their employer. You have the right to object to any such offer but it is unlikely that the Court will uphold you objections. Most voluntary offer start out O.K. then the debtor forgets to pay. You then have to go back to the Court and ask for an Order to be made against the employer and if they have left the employment in the meantime you are back to putting them back on an Order to Attend to find out where they are working. You cannot apply this method

to a Self Employed person.



This is not designed to be the be all and end all of Enforcement Procedures, but hopefully it will give the reader a better insight into the methods that are available and is for reference as a general guide.


Prepared by basil010


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again, I have just received an email from the landlord stating:


Please be advised that I will be filing an Application Notice to the Courts to have this case heard before a District Judge. I will be submitting full documentation to support my counter claim and will attend the hearing in person.


Please also note that the address you submited your claim to is my parent's address in xxxxx. I do not reside there as you are fully aware that I work and live overseas and I did not terefore recive the summons. As such i also do not have any goods or possessions there.


HELP!!! What do I do now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As Planner stated previously; he has given an address on your tenancy agreement as an address to serve notices at. It is not your problem that this is his parents' address. You served your notice there, and it was right and proper to do so.

I am not sure however if you can ask for a charging order against this property though. These are not his assets....:confused:

I would suggest that you consult a solicitor. Visit the Community Legal Service Direct


There are sections in the menu on top (be patient, this site is very slow) which would help you to see whether you'd qualify for Legal Aid: Legal Aid Calculator

And then to find local provider:

The Directory

Don't forget to tick the LSC Funded Provider option.


Alternatively try Shelter: Advice services directory


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Joa


I have called the court service today and they have said that as he still owns the property I rented, I can issue the charging order there. I have sent this email back to him:


After speaking to the courts I now understand that I am unable to issue the warrant to the address in xxxxx as this is your parents address. However, they have also advised that I am able to issue a charge on xx xxxx xxxx (rented address) and I will now be progressing with this.


I believe that the address I sent the summons and judgement to was the correct address to serve the papers to you. You stated in a previous email to me that this was the address for me to use for ALL correspondence regarding the property I rented for you. This was also the only address that you had ever given me and is shown on the tenancy agreement.


I will also submit full documentation if this case goes to court, including the email below where you clearly state that you will pay me in full.


Hopefully this will make him pay up!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hanbanhansa,I would just like to add:


1.A charging order could be possibly put providing that the ex-landlord has a form of joint proprietorship/ownership with his parents.However,this would probably create an objection from them and result in longwinded and potentially costly legal arguments.However,as previously suggested issue the charging order on the property that you were living in.


2.I would suggest in order to reduce costs and save time for all that you request nicely but firmly that your ex-landlord pays you now in full.


3.However,do not tell him about the charging order.He will find out through the court/land registry in the event that he fails to cough up.


I hope this helps.


By the way,what is actually his counterclaim against you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi N4B


The property I would issue the charging order on is the one I rented for him and is owned soley by him. The courts said that this would be fine to do.


I have asked him very firmly, but nicely, a number of times and he did state that he would pay me but has now changed his eyes! :rolleyes:


I have no idea what his counter claim is!! He has never told me why he is refusing to return my deposit!! :confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...