strange letter from cabot

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have just receied a letter from cabot addressed to the occupier asking if i live at this address as the are eager to find my wherabouts

i have lived at this address for a decade and can only assume it is about a c/card i have had previously that had a small balance outstanding several years ago

is this legal and what advioce can anyone offer

Mickyn, how old is the debt? It may be statute barred......(but dont want to get your hopes up yet!)

I would not send a response to Cabot, surely if they feel that you (or the occupier) owe them money then it is up to them to prove that you owe them money. You are not (AFAIK) under any legal obligation to answer this searching, hoping letter seeing as it is not actually addressed to you.

Any other opinions would help other Cabot fans .....Sea Horse?!

Red

MUST be a breach of the Data Protection Act. If they don't know WHO lives there, how can they know who will open it and read it? If it were Mr AN Other who lived there, you then have had YOUR details disclosed to Mr Other.

I'd report it straight away to the Information Commissioner without even getting in touch with Cabot at this stage.

Feckin chancers.

i have just receied a letter from cabot addressed to the occupier asking if i live at this address as the are eager to find my wherabouts

i have lived at this address for a decade and can only assume it is about a c/card i have had previously that had a small balance outstanding several years ago

is this legal and what advioce can anyone offer

Hello mickyn,

Is there any chance you can scan and post that letter?

Jeff.

Sounds like Ken and co are on a phishing holiday.

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

looking for the letter so i can scan it and post it for all to see. it around somewhere

THE LETTER DID NOT CONTAIN DETAILS OF THE ACCOUNT ONLY MY NAME CAN I STILL COMPLAIN

I don't see why not. If the letter was clearly from Cabot, well known to be one of the biggest dbt purchasing companies in the country, there really is only one conclusion a 3rd party could deduce from that letter: they're chasing you for a debt.

Imagine how stressful that would be to you if someone else found out that you might be in financial strife.

Go for the throat, Micky.

I don't see why not. If the letter was clearly from Cabot, well known to be one of the biggest dbt purchasing companies in the country, there really is only one conclusion a 3rd party could deduce from that letter: they're chasing you for a debt.

Imagine how stressful that would be to you if someone else found out that you might be in financial strife.

Go for the throat, Micky.

Yeah! Report them to The Information Commissioner, OFT, Trading Standards and anybody else you can think of.

Jeff.