• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

No Statements as of yet

KPH
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone

I have been watching with interest some of the recent goings on and have decided after years of unfair charges to join up and get mine back, I am sure its going to be a bit of a fight but I dont mind that.

I am currently £1200 OD, of whihc about £400 are charges in the last 12 mths, they have refunded charges a couple of times and I just wanted to make sure this wouldnt affect my claim? Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

I am about to send the first letter requesting the last six years charges on all 3 accounts w hold with HSBC, two single accounts( Mine and my wifes) and a joint account we hold, would it be advisable to do it jointly or seperatly?

Thanks for any help.

KPH

Right I have done it, I have just handed My initial letter into my branch manager asking for a full list of charges for the last 6 years.

I will keep you updated with there response.

Can you claim back the interest they have charged you aswell?

I spent about 2 hours last night online working out the charges/and interest on just one account, it works out to about £680 and about £70 in interest, most of which has occured in the last 18 mths.

Thanks in advance

There is often a lot of confusion regarding interest - not least because there are effectively 3 types that are referred to....

1) You can claim for the interest that the bank applied to your account solely due to the charges, i.e. NOT for general interest which occured simply because you had gone overdrawn.

This, in my book anyway, is more complicated to work out because you should ideally know what APR they charged you for general overdraft rates and for 'over limit' rates - unless, of course, you are one of the 'lucky' ones whose statements break this figure down for you.

It can also be argued that by not claiming this (possibly much smaller) figure, that you are allowing the bank an amount you consider IS proportionate to the costs it incurred dealing with your failed Direct Debit / Cheque etc etc.

If you had to face the enemy in court, you would at least have an arguement to show you have allowed for actual cost. Remember though, you do not have to give them it.....

The choice is yours........

2) If your case gets to the stage of court action, AND ONLY IF IT DOES, then you may claim 8% interest on each and every charge made - this is also from the DAY the charge occured.

Use the spreadsheet in FAQ section (or the new online calculator) which works this out for you - very simple indeed.

3) Additionally, we can finally complicate matters by sticking on interest on a daily basis from the time the court case is started until settlement.

There is also a calculation for this in FAQs.

If you don't understand these, it is VITAL that you spend more reading through the FAQ section. You are either about to, or have already started, a legal process to recover funds from a large financial institution - do not do so lightly - even if the evidence suggests that it is an easy process.

Good luck...!!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

That explains it great, thanks for that.

My actual charges come to about £600 odd with about £70 in actual interest, I think I might take your suggestion on board about using it as proof of my accepting they have some costs to incur and let the £70 go.

Thanks agin.

• 1 month later...

I sent my leter requesting last 6 years of charges etc( on 20.04.06) I recieved a reply of Mr Shepherd Dated 27.0.4.06, they will do as I ask without charge, to date I havent recieved a single bank statement( except my normal monthly ones).

Now I have been forced to go online and print the last 6 years statements, which gives me all the information I need on two of my accounts( Charges and interest levied) but I closed my account with them some 12 months ago out of sheer anger ( the charges that were being levied) I cannot get access to these statements online anymore, has anyone got any ideas how I can aproach this?

Thanks in Advance

Ps, since my request I have been hit with £100 in charges...grrrrrr

Ring and ask where they are. If they try to charge you tell them about the letter you have, remind hm how many days they have left under DPA and tell them you will complain to the commissioner if you do not get the info in time.

Sounds like delay tactics again to me.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

Will do, They only have till Tuesday to get them to me.

Now all I need is a phone number for Mr Shpherd....

Thanks Natalie, I expect them to play a few games TBH, but I dont intend giving up so as long as I know what course of action to take at each step let them play games.

Don't phone. Write. Send it recorded delivery. Warn them that they are in breach of the duties under the Data Protection Act and tell them that you will take action to force compliance if you do not receive the material which you have asked and which they have promised.

Only do this if you are prepared to take action. If you are not then don't bother.

If you are not sure how to go about this then start reading the DPA FAQ and the library material and search the forum for DPA. There is a DPA forum off the legality section and this probably contains a lot of useful information for you.

There are a least two or three people the moment who have begun DPA actions against the banks. It hasn't been done before but I suspect that it is going to happen rather more often now. It is risk-free and the issue simply whether or not they've supplied with material and in your case it is cut and dried. It is guaranteed victory and it will give them a good lesson that you mean business and that you intend to get your money. You can treat it as a pathfinder if you like.

I have copied the non compliance letter and will send it, the 40 days if dated from my letter 20.04.06 ends today, do I go from my letter or there reply? dated 27-04-06.

Thanks for all your help, this site has been a constant source of support.

I have copied the non compliance letter and will send it, the 40 days if dated from my letter 20.04.06 ends today, do I go from my letter or there reply? dated 27-04-06.

Thanks for all your help, this site has been a constant source of support.

My understanding is it would be 40 days from the date they received your letter. So if you sent it on the 20th, they should have received it on the 21st. If you sent it recorded delivery you will have the date it was received as well.., so go 40 days from then.

Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone

I sent my original request for my last 6 yrs of statements back in April, I recieved a reply that they would send them on without any charge, I still havent recieved them, so last week I hand delivered a letter to my local branch reminding them of there obligation to supply me with the data( per the letter on here) we are now 9 days into the 14 and still nothing...

I now intend to take them to court to get them to give me all the info I have requested, unfortunatly after searching for the advice about my next step I am unable to locate it. I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction? MOD NOTE: THREADS DULY MERGED

They have until next monday and I would like to be prepared, because I dont intend playing it nice and easy anymore, Come 9 am monday morning I will be standing outside whatever court I need to be standing outside of, ready.

Ps Thanks in Advance

You copy the Particulars of Claim onto an N1 form (also in Templates) and take that into court (do 3 copies - one for you and 2 for the court).

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi!

I have waited 3 months for statements so far. I had trouble getting into my online statements online for a while but managed to in the end. I wonder if they have someone at the website control centre who makes it difficult for us BAG members!

HSBC tried charging me twice for them too!

Good luck!

THe 14 days I allowed them for my statements is up on monday, I have managed to get two accounts details online but cannot get access to my closed account.

Is it worth confusing the issue and starting my claim for the two accounts I have details on or should I wait until I get the details of the third?

One more question, The court I need to go to to force them to give me my statements, is a local magistrates court sufficient or does is need to be a different court?

right read the whole thread - its the county court -as has been said it must be on N1 form and you will need to take 3 copies .

You can send your prelim adding that it is an estimate due to their failure to comply with your SAR . when you do recieve all the paperwork you can then alter the amount in subsequent letters

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks