hi need info on broken laptop

Debs7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I totally agree find out what they claim has been done to it if they claim spillage there would be residue on the keyboard membranes/ on the PCB etc

If they claim its been dropped there would be case damage, and even if there was you could claim she dropped it when the lead melted onto her in shock

Dont tip them off about your suspicions though if you ask them just get the facts no need to give them any ammo

I was referring to your posts regarding using an alternative engineer to look at it by deliberately misunderstanding their letter, advising what to look for if they claim certain types of accidental damage!

Issue a court order and take them to court for the full cost of the laptop, time and interest.

When they get that bit of paper, they will act.

What would you like the court order to say? What are the fees for issuing a court order? Can anyone issue a court order?

Realist if you look at the "Letter Before Action" I wrote for Debs earlier, you'll see that we are arranging for Debs to take them to court to recover the cost of the laptop plus interest.

Oh, and the answers to my questions?

1. Nothing; we don't need a "court order". We need a Small Claims Court Claim.

2. Minimum £150 as an Order would be heard under a Part 8 Procedure, and NOT in the Small Claims Court.

3. No. Only a court can issue an Order and they would carefully consider the legal issues around a request for one.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody so far has asked you how you paid for the laptop?

If it was paid for via a credit card and you say it cost over a £100 then you can bypass Currys and the Manu and get the credit card company to pay you back.

On the other hand if it was paid for via credit agreement (depending on which kind of agreement) you may be able to bother the finance company as it would be their responsibility.

Not sure if any of this applies to your case Debs7 but maybe worth noting for future ref.

hi guys

update on laptop the final day for them getting in contact with me was y.day (wed) and you guessed it heard nothing no mail no phone calls.

Thanks StoneLaughter for all the help with the letter before action thats the one I sent to them with my details inserted. So now I guess its the big move I have to make and take them to court :o bit nervous but determined to see this through.

StoneLaughter if you have anymore information that can help me in my next stage it would be much appreciated. here goesssssssssssssssssssssssss fingers crossed

Debs

Capital One Letter sent reqesting £320.00 25/07/06

Sainsburys bank Offered me £225 half what asked for letter sent 24/07/06 accepting £225 as partial payment

Barclaycard Offered me £156 half what asked for letter sent 25/07/06 accepting £156 as partial payment

want all the money owned to ME

alritey

to answer cindyLS question we originaly bought the laptop on HP at Christmas but on may of this year we sent cheque away for the outstanding balance on the laptop and typical the problem happened in june :rolleyes: .

I am hoping to send a letter tonight when I get home from work any help would be great. I dont know if another letter will help because they didnt bother responding to my last letter.

or do u think small claims court is now the way to go :confused:

Cheers Debs

Sainsburys bank Offered me £225 half what asked for letter sent 24/07/06 accepting £225 as partial payment

Barclaycard Offered me £156 half what asked for letter sent 25/07/06 accepting £156 as partial payment

cheers you advice has been alot of help to myself with the situation with laptop your input into my next step would very valuded

ta Debs

hi blacksheep1979 i did sent them a letter before action on the 24th july they never bothered to even respond to the letter. Do you think I should just start small claims or send another letter to them. I have read on here sending a few letters looks better for me in the long run if it comes to taking them to a small claims court ??:|

Debs

how many letters have you sent them now? If the last letter stated they had 14 days otherwise you would start court proceedings then unless they didn't receive the letter they are just going to think you are bluffing.

I have sent them two letters first stating my complaint and asking for them for a refund or replacement gave them 14 days they waited till last day to contact me then is was by telephone call a quick 2 mins to say that all the could do was take the laptop back to work shop and get engineer to reasses it. I never sent it back because they have already examined it and did not think it would make any difference.

Second letter was Letter before Action think this is where I might have went a bit wrong I gave them only 7 days to reply to Letter before Action because a was so peved with them from last letter waiting till 14 working days for them to contact me. They have not bothered to reply to the letter before Action.

So do I sent them a letter stating all the times I have tried to contact them give them another chance to respond or start small claim ??????

also sent letter recorded delivery and they did receive the letter

Cheers Debs

Guest Niklowe

I wonder if the health and safety executive should be informed? A laptop that gets so hot as to melt seems rather a dangerous item to sell. What if you had left it on overnight?

Guest Niklowe

Bye the way,

There was a recall notice in yesterdays mail, about Dell laptops being re-called due to faulty power supplies having been fitted. These power supplies had been manufactured in various far east countries. I wonder if Toshiba had fitted the same power supplies to their laptops?

Hi NIk

i seen that on bbc news yesterday, I was thinking of maybe phoning up Currys and stating this fact to them, that is does actual occur. They will probably just say that its a differnet company but ike you say they are all supplied from the far east countries. What you think a wee call to them to let them know I am still on there tail ???

Debs

hi guys next step for the laptop currys have not bothered to reply to my letter before action...so money claim here I come well I thought i was just reading over money claim webpage there and its says

Money Claim Online is suitable if:

spacer.gif

icon_dot.gif Your claim is for a fixed amount of money (no more than £99,999.99)

icon_dot.gif Your claim is against no more than 2 defendants

icon_dot.gif You have an address in England or Wales where documents can be delivered

icon_dot.gif All defendants have an address in England or Wales where documents can be delivered

icon_dot.gif You have an e-mail address

I stay in Scotland how does this work for me I dont have addy in England or Wales????

Cheers Debs

I live in Scotland.....can you still claim your money online with sheriffs court like you can with the money claim, or do I have to go into the court and hand in the paper????...do you have a link to where it is I should be looking

Cheers Debs