British Gas gave my bank account details to bro-in-law

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

Just wondering what Act I can throw at them?

My brother-in-law has just been sent a letter from British Gas asking him to renew Direct Debit for Gas Boiler Protection giving all my bank details, bank sort code and account number.

I have been paying the boiler cover for him but he is moving and needed it cancelled Brit Gas rang him when I stopped the DD and he explained & said they should ring me because it's my bank account which they did, I aslo explained to them why it had been cancelled and she said it was fine and I would here nothing more from them.... Until they sent my Bro-in-law my bank details that is..

I just couldn't beleive they have done that, this is very disturbing what info are they giving out without checking properly.

Anybody got any advice as to what I can do about it??

Thanks in advance

minky

Alot of companies send out a confirmation letter when a dd is set up and obvioulsy if there are family/friends details they will see them.

I am not sure and someone better clued up will come along but if you have provided these details for someones elses's account I cannot see any comeback.

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi! Ida

thanks for the reply, as far as British Gas are aware it is my account they have my address my dd is set up using my address, so they shouldn't be sending my bank details to someone else surely.

I have a debit card on that account and he could go onto the internet/telephone and use it couldn't he?

Another senario what if it was our house and we had a tenant living in and they sent the bank details to the tenant!!

British Gas knew I was paying for it as I spoke to them directly after they spoke to B-I-L they were told why the DD had been cancelled & that I don't live at that address, so again why send a direct debit mandate my brother in law showing my bank details to reinstate it? my bank details are at a completely different address 50 miles away.

Please! can anyone give me any advice as to what action I should take.

many thanks

minky xxx

The scenario you have described wouldn't happen to a landlord/tenant as the account would be in the landlord's name not in the tenants (so they shouldn't open the letter).

Your brother in law couldn't have gone shopping online as for that he would need the card number, not your account number and sort code.

He could have used them to set up direct debits, but these are easily reversible and he would be traced by the police pretty quickly.

The scenario you have described wouldn't happen to a landlord/tenant as the account would be in the landlord's name not in the tenants (so they shouldn't open the letter).

Your brother in law couldn't have gone shopping online as for that he would need the card number, not your account number and sort code.

He could have used them to set up direct debits, but these are easily reversible and he would be traced by the police pretty quickly.

Hiya Gondukin

Good Points!

Thanks! I was so annoyed, put my typing fingers into action before my brain.. lol

Cheers!

minky xxx