Smoking ban what do you think?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5669 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ever?! :o

Best start stocking up now then...

LOL - I guess it means we will all have a daily ration of four units...no prizes for guessing which establishments will be exempt from having a swipe card system...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see as there will be any way this could be policed effectively. What if I buy a bottle of wine with a meal? I may drink one glass and share the bottle with others at the table, but I'm banned for drinking for the rest of the day?

Am I only allowed to buy one bottle of wine by mail order per day?

I really can't see there being any truth in this whatsoever.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I see where you are coming from, and clearly people will adapt their lifestyles accordingly...perhaps there is no truth in this after all, and it is likely to become yet another urban myth...

But then again it could just be a way of controlling chavvy binge drinking on a Friday/Saturday night...can you imagine the riots if a gang of drink-fuelled tarts, waving their handbags, are denied a fifth Bacardi Breezer...?

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think the answer is in your description of said woman. If you had let her carry on, I think she probably also would have had the really authentic truth about Diana's death, the part of the UK government in the cover-up at Area 51, who killed JR, and how "they" are putting secret psychotropic additives in the children's food to bend their mind to the suggestion Rupert Murdoch really is God. :rolleyes:

Note the: "Then she said something odd...something she has heard from a publican friend of hers." (Yeah, because up to then, she was making really good sense!); it is nothing more than the "a bloke in the pub told me..." I thought you of all people would have been more attuned to the BS I can feel emanating, even from this distance in place and time. :razz:

Well, again I see what you are saying, and I was wearing my sceptic's hat, but she was actively promoting the website freedom2choose...make of it what you will.

Yes, the ID card limits on drinking sound a bit 1984, but these things do have a habit of sneaking up on us all...our rights and freedoms are being eroded, and one day we will not have any left...

Honey, as long as you are free to keep on saying things like that without getting bundled up in the back of a van by men in white blouses, I reckon your freedom and liberties are quite safe. ;-) I think your sceptic's hat might need retuning, with a firm increase in the BS dial. Maybe you should rename it a septic hat, that would fit both purposes? (and your head, of course. :-D)

LOL...I'm away with the fairies at the moment, so won't be rising to any baiting for a while...Bookie is safe for now...

Smoking and drinking alcohol has been a pleasurable pass-time in human society since the beginning of time. There is now medical evidence of the harm to health by inhaling cigarette smoke (which I am sure comes mostly from modern day chemicals that are added to the tobacco)

Up until 10-15 years ago, society allowed smoking and made it "cool". All of a sudden pressure groups have succeeded in banning it in all public places and smokers are now persecuted to a ridiculous level.

Obviously we smokers dont want to die, but we are addicted, and unless someone has experience of addiction they have no idea what we are going through. We have been dumped by society and left to rot. Ostrasized from social gatherings, standing on windy wet street corners to have our "hit", whilst in fear of being prosecuted for stubbing it out on the pavement. I hate this persecution but know the only way to stop it, is to give up. And that is the hardest thing. I have tried many times, from acapuncture and hypnosis to patches and Zyban, and failed every time. I cant feel relaxed if I know I cannot have a smoke, therefore I dont go to the pub anymore, and absolutely dread long distance travel on trains, planes buses ect. It would be wonderful to be free of this.

Instead of all the money spent on the legislation of enforcing this ban surely it would be better spent on ways of treating the addiction.

I am not asking for sympathy, but just think that this heavy handed approach should be changed to a softer more understanding attitude.

Kay:sad:

Yes smoking is bad has great financial impacts on the NHS etc and yes there is a huge risk of lung cancer and yes it's not nice for a non smoker to be subjected to second hand smoke,etc. etc. I agree with all that.

What I dont agree with is the way in wich the ban was implemented and it should have been handled in a much more diplomatic wayand the government should have got it's priorities right i.e. Look at things that have a worse effect on society first.

Alcohol.Nobody wants to debate the dangers or the addictiveness of it,and yet it too has very detrimental effects on our health,the NHS and not only that but on the general wellbeing of society too.Tell me of one family that has split up over the addiction to tobacco on a day to day basis.Does anybody know of somebody who got divorced because their husband was a smoker?Advertising of anything to do with tobacco had to stop,why not so with alcohol?

Alcohol has very far reaching effects on our society in ways that nobody wants to admit to and yet it's ok to base entire soaps on TV around pubs and demonstrate and show kids who watch these ,the violence that comes spilling out of pubs etc.

We all know the dangers of smoking,but as adults who are allowed to frequent in pubs and the like should be able to have a choice and the big shots in government should focus more on issues like Alcohol and maybe allow places such as clubs etc .decide if they want to offer a smoking room.

If my advice has helped please click my scales

Should you require any further help feel free to pm me.

Nat West 2nd Acc

Prelim letter sent 8th Feb '07

:) Full Settlement Offer 24th Feb '07:)

:pMONEY BACK IN ACC ON MARCH THE FIRST '07:p

Nat West 1st Acc

Filed at court 2nd of Feb '07

Acknowledged on 15th of Feb '07

:rolleyes: Defence submitted 1st March 2007 :rolleyes:

...or of course, they could but out completely and let us get on with it.

Go to France. You will see children in pubs, constantly. You don't see them turning into raging alkies later on in life (with some exceptions I agree).

Could it be that they have a better attitude towards it - probably. The opening of the pubs 24 hours (or so they say) is the first step towards this.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

...or of course, they could but out completely and let us get on with it.

Go to France. You will see children in pubs, constantly. You don't see them turning into raging alkies later on in life (with some exceptions I agree).

Could it be that they have a better attitude towards it - probably. The opening of the pubs 24 hours (or so they say) is the first step towards this.

I totally agree with your point.At the same time kids in other European countries have things they can actually go and do outside of school and grow up totally different compared to our teenagers for example.They still have youth clubs where they can go and hang out together etc and yes as you say the 24hour opening thing is most deff a step forwards where people should not have the pressure of having to drink themselves in to a total stupor before a certain time.

If my advice has helped please click my scales

Should you require any further help feel free to pm me.

Nat West 2nd Acc

Prelim letter sent 8th Feb '07

:) Full Settlement Offer 24th Feb '07:)

:pMONEY BACK IN ACC ON MARCH THE FIRST '07:p

Nat West 1st Acc

Filed at court 2nd of Feb '07

Acknowledged on 15th of Feb '07

:rolleyes: Defence submitted 1st March 2007 :rolleyes:

Just nipping in here - haven't had time to read the whole thread (well it is a bit long!)

However, as a member of a club, I now quite enjoy "nipping out for a cig" as I get to speak to more people who I wouldn't normally speak to inside the club - everyone tends to sit at their own table with their own group of friends.

I have made some very nice new friends - just because I smoke:)

• 2 months later...
...I now quite enjoy "nipping out for a cig" as I get to speak to more people who I wouldn't normally speak to...
U would speak to them...or THEY wouldn't speak to U??...:confused:

...I have made some very nice new friends - just because I smoke:)
How's the 'Friends' thingy getting on since U've quit bo??...;)

Just nipping in here - haven't had time to read the whole thread (well it is a bit long!)

However, as a member of a club, I now quite enjoy "nipping out for a cig" as I get to speak to more people who I wouldn't normally speak to inside the club - everyone tends to sit at their own table with their own group of friends.

I have made some very nice new friends - just because I smoke:)

I this still true now. Or is it so bloody cold that the pubs near you are as empty as the ones near me?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Finally got round to reading my "subs" - been busy for the last couple of weeks.

How's the 'Friends' thingy getting on since U've quit bo??...:wink:

Well not having smoked for about five weeks MTM, I haven't seen my "new friends" for a while - but now I've er, lapsed, the only comments I get is "I thought you'd given up":rolleyes:

Is this still true now. Or is it so bloody cold that the pubs near you are as empty as the ones near me?

Unfortunately Dave, the no-smoking ban has hit the club I go to very hard - so much so that they may have to close. They can't compete with the posh pubs who have the "heated umbrellas".

To be honest though, it's still quite mild up here and I can always put my coat on - it doesn't take me long to smoke a fag - get plenty of practice at work;)

We've had the ban here for ages now - since Feb 2006. We were really worried as a Club. But it hasn't affected us. And I have not seen any pubs up here shutting or being emptier.

In fact, I've made new friends as we smoke outside together. Pubs are not empty - and some of the ones round my way now have really nice beer gardens with sheltered areas and outside heating.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Only one has had to close so far in my village - although judging from the state of one of the others, and the fact that it's pretty much empty all the time it's looking like that's going to be two very soon.

Beer sales are down 7% across the country. Nothing to do with the smoking ban or the fact that it's over 3 quid for a pint then.

Oh good, we can all stay at home - just what Gordon and his incompetent crones want.

------------

------------

not made a lot of difference in pubs around here, but in all fairness, there are quite a lot of pubs closing anyway.

i dont smoke but the OH does, and if we go to the pub, its usually one thats away somewhere quiet where all the " i've had three shandies and will fight anyone" brigade either cant find or is to far for them to get too. One that springs to mind is " the Crooked House".

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

1407crooked2.jpg this really is at crooked as it looks, and it does fantastic food and a good pint.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Looks cool.

------------

------------

• 1 month later...