Nationwide "unauthorised overdraft."

magictorch1976
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6139 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

Could you please give me some pointers on this one ?

I had a basic account with the Nationwide which I stopped using, (no overdraft facility.) The account was left slightly in credit but went into an unauthorised overdraft state when they debited a charge for £20 due to an unpaid direct debit. They have ever since been racking up charges on the account, which stands now at £300.

I wrote to them on numerous occasions stating that the overdraft status was caused by them debiting a charge and therefore I refute the amount outstanding. They won't budge, choosing instead of write back with standard bank "crap" such as "if you had run your account within the terms of your agreement blah blah blah."

The whole idea of having a basic bank account was that I could NOT go overdrawn !

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Jamie

Hello magictorch1976!

Any pointers appreciated.
The WHOLE lot of your Charges are Re-claimable!!!

This includes your original DD unlawful Penalty Charge + all the subsequent Charges + their associated Interest Charges.

U may not end up with a juicy payout like some Claimants though.

Nationwide will just end up Crediting your Flexaccount with the money that U re-claim.

This will at least stop them successfully pursuing U for your 'alleged' Debt to THEM

+ U possibly ending up with a DEFAULT NOTICE placed on your Credit Report for other Creditors to judge U by!!!

Have a look at the following Thread + the links contained within it to see what to do next...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/70325-im-new-confused-please.html

I faxed them this today:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account Number:

Please note my change of address as at the top of this letter.

I am writing yet again in the hope that you will please consider removing all the charges on my account in order to bring the balance back to £0.00.

The horrendous unauthorised overdraft of nearly £300 is based solely upon charges alone and this is having a detrimental affect on my credit record.

The unauthorised overdraft was caused by you debiting a charge to my account which sent it into an overdrawn state and this is not acceptable nor very good for customer relations.

The idea of a basic bank account is that the customer cannot go overdrawn and therefore cannot incur unauthorised charges so I fail to understand how you can cause me to have an unauthorised position by debiting a charge to my account ! (sic. ERM HELLO ???!!!!)

As a gesture of goodwill, I am prepared to remit the sum of £20 to the account, which covers the original charge in the first instance.

I look forward to your response and confirmation that this can be resolved amicably and with the application of some common sense.

I do not expect to hear from a debt collection agency and if you choose to pursue the debt through the courts, I am sure that the recent coverage and success of bank charge cases bought by the general public will ensure that your case will fail, leading to further unnecessary costs on your behalf and please be rest assured that if you fail to resolve this issue then I will initiate court action for the refund of the charges.

If you wish to discuss this with me, I am open to dialogue and therefore, please contact me at work on xxxxx

Yours sincerely.

I think I am being EVER so nice by giving them the £20 !! Anything to get it marked as OK on my bleeding credit file !

...I think I am being EVER so nice by giving them the £20 !! Anything to get it marked as OK on my bleeding credit file !
Methinks that U are wasting your time + effort.

Remember that U are JUST a number.

The ONLY logic that Banks have is 'Bottom Line Profit'.

Nationwide would take your £20 quick enough,

but they would just Credit it against the Total Debt that they say that U owe them.

They would then chase U for the remainder of the Debt.

Read a few of the Nationwide Threads + realise that in 99.99% of the time,

the ONLY way that U will get anywhere, is if U start the Re-claiming process!!!

...With regards entries on a persons Credit Report held by a Credit Reference Agency.

It often makes NO difference if a DEFAULTED account entry is marked as being 'Satisfied' when a search is done by a NEW Creditor, if a person seeks further Credit in the future.

Thought should be taken to 1st establishing whether or not, an account held by a Claimant, has been marked with an adverse report with a CRA.

If the bad report is mainly due the Bank levying unlawful Penalty Charges on the account, thus contrbuting to the DEFAULT, then the Claimant should be seeking to have the Bank redress the situation by removing the DEFAULT entirely + NOT just marking the file as being 'Satisfied'

This is much easier to do, if the Claimant insists on the DEFAULT removal in conjuction with their monetary Claim.

...+ as a condition of the Claimant regarding the Claim as being 'Settled in Full'.