Can banks locate old cheques?

isidore
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm writing this in relation to another thread I have opened this weekend.

Basically I need to find out information regarding a cheque I wrote in 2003 - hopefully proof of who it was written to or who cashed it. Before I ring the bank tomorrow - note a bank I am no longer with (accounts are closed and have been for 6 months) and also a bank that I claimed over £3k from in banks charges - I wanted to know from the inside what exactly the banks can locate, what I need to ask for and what sort of response I am likely to get from the bank?

Just wanted to see what information you can give me in case they try to fob me off.

If it helps, I will be ringing RBS.

Thanks in advance ;)

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Last week I managed to get a copy of a cheque from Natwest which was written in April 2004. This was for a business account and they did say they had to retrieve it "from their archives". No doubt there was a ridiculous fee involved for providing a copy but I have no idea how much!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Wrong bank I know but YB also archive their cheques and would charge you a fee to retrieve it. I think the retention period on cheques was 6 years.

Good luck

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" - Martin Luther King Jr

Hi Taff,

this is another Taff,Maggie.

The answer to your question is yes.I asked the Halifax to find a cheque my deceased Dad wrote 5 yrs before he died.I told them I needed to know the amount of the cheque,the person it was made out to,and the date,as I believed the signature wasn,t his,and it was fraudently signed.Hope this helps.

Maggie

Update, bank has agreed to supply me with copy of cheque in 48 hours for the measly sum of £4. Happy with that.

Thanks for responses all. ;)

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!