• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well done Simon. Congratulations...... Taking any Angels to Celebrate ?. .

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blooming marvellous result Simon :D :D

Thats really made my day. If anyone deserves it you do. You've put so much into the case and kept us all entertained along the way which can't have been easy. Glad you'll be hanging around for a bit longer. Its news like this that reminds me of what CAG is all about. You have the true CAG spirit. Congratulations and well done for all your efforts they paid off in the end and I'm sure others will draw inspiration and learn from your efforts.

Have a very very merry Christmas

All the very best

Zoot xx :)

Hi Simon, fantastic news.

Just a quick word of advice (although I'm sure you don't need it), you say you are going to be paying some smaller debts off - make sure you pay the more expensive ones off first. Obvious, I know, but some people get emotionally attached to debts - e.g. "I hate Barclaycard, I'll pay them off first." When in reality, you may have an Egg card that is more expensive (I'm not saying it is, this is all hypotherical) and you would do better to get rid of that first.

Anyway, excellent news - ignore my ramblings if you want! ;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

happy_bee.jpg

well done!

we all know money isnt everything - but it certainly helps

xjan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

WOW, Thank you all for your extremely kind comments and for wishing me well, it really does mean a lot and I would not have got there without your help and support.

Dave, I will be paying the more expensive ones first, I still have my feet and legs on the ground, even if they don't work properly:D . It is extremely good and sensible advice though, so thank you for it:) .

I am glad I have managed to keep some of you entertained on my journey, I do try to keep a smile on my face even when there seems little hope. I am going nowhere so you are stuck with me here and I will be trying to help anyone I can, if I can.

Now I am not 100% sure exactly what and where I need to put my winning bits and pieces on the site, so if someone could help direct me that would be great. I will be making my donation to this fab site just as soon as I get the cleared funds available, I would do it now but i've only got about 73p left in my bank at the moment.........lol. Maybe I should pop into my local Abbey and ask at the counter for a sub:D

Simon:)

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

congratulations simon on you win

the drinks are on you so get em in

where u taking me for my treat

Just dont forget your in the paying seat

I would have been here to say thanks

To all them robbing grabby banks

For giving you all your own money back

so you wouldnt have to go live in a sack

god its rubbish that aint it but the sentiments there had i known si i would have said congrats earlier :roll:glad u won before christmas too so happy for u xxxkia:Dnever was any good at guessing games whats with the travel agency though :roll:xx

Hi kia

Thanks for your congratularions, sorry for the crossed wires, your little ditty isn't rubbish, it was a good attempt as I know you still have your L Plates on that:p . You are no good at guessing games though, I will concur on that bit:p .

I can't think where the travel agency came into it now??? you know my mind and how it works, I thought you mentioned it first??? Anyway I might be tempted to go for a little break if I have owt left after paying out on debts etc:( Oh well sounds like a new tent then:D

Speak soon luv, thanks again for the above

Simon:) x

I nearly forgot..................

as for your treat................................how about...............

I take you all the way:eek: ........................

to a local cafe for a bacon butty!:D;):p:D

I've just seen the title of your thread Simon and wanted to say well done on getting your money back, I'm just so pleased you got it in time for Christmas and without having to go to court.

Enjoy the money ............. and join the rest of us in fighting on. :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!

WELL DONE SIMON!!

really pleased for you:D :D :D

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

I nearly forgot..................

as for your treat................................how about...............

I take you all the way:eek: ........................

to a local cafe for a bacon butty! :p:D

god simon nearly fell off me chair then :Dand before the water shed too ;)you got a deal mines with tomato sauce but will i fit on the tubby scooter though :rolleyes:xxkia

Thank you Everyone

for all your nice congratulations and words.

It has been a long, hard and sometimes difficult journey and then within a 5 minute phonecall it's done and settled. So now I am sat waiting for the cheque. Lets hope the Abbey don't renaige on things now.

Could this be the last thread update??

Went to the Post Office today, as a letter was received by Recorded Delivery yesterday, whilst not in.......................Typical!

Anyway on opening here it is as typed.

"Without Prejudice"

Dear Sir

YOURSELF -V- ABBEY NATIONAL PLC

CLAIM NO: 7QZ50764

We write in relation to our recent settlement of the above claim.

Therefore, in satisfaction of this settlement, please find attached a cheque in the sum of £2500 on the basis that payment is in full and final settlement of your claim and that Abbey accept no liability, as agreed.

Please now write to the Court informing them that you wish to withdraw your claim and supply Abbey with a copy of your letter.

Yours faithfully

Abbey National plc

attached was a lovely, lovely cheque for £2500.

OK, so where do I go from here??

Given the following, am I not entitled to now start another claim for the charges not yet taken account of, as I haven't asked the court to add them. Surely they are not part of the claim Abbey are settling??

Come on guys n gals. Who thinks what?? Do I or don't I?? Please give me your valued opinions, just for intrest they amount to £630 since I started my claim, excluding interest.

interesting - they have only referred to the current claim number - so unless they were recording the conversation where they stated it covered current charges - they have shot themselves in the foot?

Also you have the cheque to bank now - before you have signed the agreement ?

Jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Jan

I am banking the cheque today, preferably by express clearance if possible with the Halifax.

There is no agreement to sign. Just the letter above received with the cheque attached:confused:

Well it does say in full and final settlement of claimXXXX

So if you start a new one what can they do?

The only think I would suggest is have a meeting with them about current debt - and see how helpful they are -there is no rush anyway as any claim is going to take a while.

Why not wait a while and then write again about current charges - see what reaction you get and then go back to FOS . Or bring it up in a face to face meeting - in passing - saying how much these subsequent charges are affecting your situation - and guauge the reaction.

Jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Could this be the last thread update??

Went to the Post Office today, as a letter was received by Recorded Delivery yesterday, whilst not in.......................Typical!

Anyway on opening here it is as typed.

"Without Prejudice"

Dear Sir

YOURSELF -V- ABBEY NATIONAL PLC

CLAIM NO: 7QZ50764

We write in relation to our recent settlement of the above claim.

Therefore, in satisfaction of this settlement, please find attached a cheque in the sum of £2500 on the basis that payment is in full and final settlement of your claim and that Abbey accept no liability, as agreed.

Please now write to the Court informing them that you wish to withdraw your claim and supply Abbey with a copy of your letter.

Yours faithfully

Abbey National plc

attached was a lovely, lovely cheque for £2500.

OK, so where do I go from here??

Given the following, am I not entitled to now start another claim for the charges not yet taken account of, as I haven't asked the court to add them. Surely they are not part of the claim Abbey are settling??

Come on guys n gals. Who thinks what?? Do I or don't I?? Please give me your valued opinions, just for intrest they amount to £630 since I started my claim, excluding interest.

simon theses are new charges of course there not in the settlement figure you go after them again like me and all the others who have been charged since ive now got about another 800 pounds to go after since they settled mine only trouble is like all the rest the oft thing has stopped play for now but after christmas join us in getting em so no in answer to your question the new charges are excatly that new ones there not part of this settlement does that help si :):)xxxkia

CONGRATULATIONS

SIMON,

I am delighted for you as you deserve to have had your refund NOW and not after the test case, whenever that may finish.

If you have more charges, I would definately start another claim, just as soon as you feel up to it, but enjoy the moment. You are our CAG hero.

DSxx

Hi Everyone

All I can say is WOW!

All these wonderfull kind comments I have received. It is great to know so many people are pleased for me but I must stress, I would never have got here without this site and the fantastic people on it! I started out on MSE and to be fair while the odd ones would help a little , it was nowhere near the level of support I got on here, which if I hadn't followed an MSE link, I wouldn't have found!

So THANK YOU ALL for YOUR unwaivering support!!!

I have reviewed the evidence before me, banked Abbey's cheque, which I paid £12 to be express cleared, and I think after Xmas, when I have hopefully finished with the other stuff I still have going on. I am going to have a short holiday (On the Abbey), nothing flash mind and then go for it again with the other charges!!!!!!..........Bring it on!!!!

In the meantime, I will contact them about the outstanding balance on my account (once the cheques cleared), to see what they are prepared to do, like freezing the amount now to stop it increasing and try to come sort of arrangement. If they will not freeze it, I will force them to go to court and take News at Ten with me!

There is nothing to gain by my offering any repayments while they are adding far more a month than I could possibly pay!

Maybe they think I should use the £2.5k towards the balance........lol No way hos'e.