• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ali VS Barclays

Ali-D
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here goes!

I've finally got the statements through the post after much arsing around:

Called Debt Managers (who are trying to collect on behalf of Barclays) and was told that I would have to write to them, for them to pass the letter on to Barclays and obtain statements on my behalf.

Partial statements received, with a note saying that I would have to pop into my local branch.

Into the branch, lady was as polite as she was useless, so puts me on phone to "advisor" at head office with _severe_ stammer. Thats no reason not to employ the fella but ffs don't stick him on the phones! Good job I wasn't on a parking meter.

Return to the lady, saying HO was no help, she gives me another number to call, which I do when I get home, and hey presto full statements are sent out, no charge!

I only opened to the account in June '06 so it shouldn't take long to enter the charges into the spreadsheet. Learning to make the spreadsheet might, but I used to be a programmer so it can't be that bad! I'm using OpenOffice (.org) and I've got a good few coffees inside me and DJ xplizit bangin out the stereo :cool:

What's the most interest I can get away with charging? Considering it's only a couple of hundred they owe me, because the 600 odd they say I owe consists entirely of charges. Plus they would want to avoid court costs and I want to shaft them good and proper! :p

I also need to stop Debt Managers taking me to court in the meantime, cos they won't listen about the fact that it's Barclays that owe ME money!

You also should read these http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/24031-frequently-asked-questions.html

and these http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

Can i also suggest that you have a read through some of the treads on here just to see whats in store for you in the weeks ahead

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask them.

Many thanks saintly_1 :)

I just updated a few bits I'd downloaded before. I'll be working stuff out and looking around...

I know it says I can't add the interest unless it goes to a court claim, but i want to anyway. I like hurting banks! :D

Got the Preliminary letter done, based on the template, and sending off tomorrow with the schedule of charges not including interest. Here's the juicy bit:

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £814.56 (which includes telephone and postage costs incurred as a result of your activity) plus £27.53 which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £842.09. This is against the sum of £628.71 that Debt Managers Ltd are attempting to recover from me. I therefore demand immediate payment of £213.38 and the cessation of all activity against me by yourselves and anyone acting on your behalf, e.g. Debt Managers Ltd.

I know it says I can't add the interest unless it goes to a court claim, but i want to anyway.

Hmmm, Does it say in the guidelines to add the interest?

Nope!

Doing this is of course your choice, but not following the advice given on this site is what leads to the cases being won.

So, its up to you....

Either way, it is recommended you send your correspondence by recorded delivery.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

The interest mentioned is the proportion of the overdraft interest that was a direct result of the charges incurred i havent claimed that .. prefering to use the simple spread sheet (seemed to be named just for me )

• Haha 1

The sum they are claiming I owe includes the interest they charged, so I have to include it to make the sums right. It was itemised on my statements so I just included it like any other charge, and in my case the overdraft is made up entirely of their bank charge foolishness.

I've got a honking great mortgage payment in July and I'm hoping this will be sorted soon. Otherwise I'll be out on my arse, and i don't fancy that in this weather...

Here goes!

I also need to stop Debt Managers taking me to court in the meantime, cos they won't listen about the fact that it's Barclays that owe ME money!

If they do take you to court then you request that the action is stayed as you are in dispute with Barclays over the "debt". You should write to debt managers and tell them you are in dispute.

madeleine150x120.gif

Thanks for that :) I just hope the court summons finds its way to me in time as I had to use my old address for the account.

I wrote to DM and they acknowledged the letter in a subsequent phone call so they have no excuse. I was sure to itemise the 34p for a stamp and the cost of the call in my letter to Barclays! :-D

• 5 months later...

Well I've sent off an updated LBA (I goofed on some of my sums) about a fortnight ago, just got to fill out the N1 and send that off to the court tomorrow.

I calculate that you have taken a total of £792.19, which includes telephone and postage costs incurred as a result of your unlawful activity as well as overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. This is against the closing balance of -£603.71 on the account. I therefore demand immediate payment of £188.48 and the cessation of all activity against me by yourselves and anyone acting on your behalf, e.g. Debt Managers Ltd or Wescot Credit Services.

Am I right in thinking that I file a claim for the charges plus overdraft interest taken by Barclays, but NOT telephone and postage costs? As I understand it I put that lot in a Wasted Costs Order...?

Hi Ali-D,

You need to follow the guides exactly, adapted to suit your case or reflect your circumstances. You can't claim other out of pocket expenses with your bank charges. You can reclaim these items towards the end of your case, either in court or by agreement using a WCO, as you say.

Use the new POC which is found in the Stickies at the top of the Barclays forum.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Her's the link to the new POC - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/107566-bank-charge-poc-n1.html

Follow this guide for N1 but use the new POC's. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/681-4-particulars-claim-n1.html

Best to stick to the guides given or at least check 1st if you want to do something different.

Are the DCA's quiet now or hounding you.

Slick

• Haha 1

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Cheers for that slick, wasn't 100% sure. :) I missed that first link when I trawled for pages to save (my net connection is iffy).

The DCA's have been stupid and still sending the odd letter, final demand, settlement offer etc but not what I'd call hounding. The last I heard from WCS was a hand-filled form letter offering me a 50% discount for settlement. As if! I've kept all the letters so I'll claim for harassment. I'm using all this Barclays bother as a practice run for when I (fingers crossed!) turn HBOS into the next Northern Rock.

OTOH The 6 to 8 calls a day (and night) from Haliprats that I was unable to block with BT's Choose-To-Refuse... That was hounding and effed my head up badly. If it weren't for the rock solid mates I've got then I probly wouldn't still be here. HBOS "high and mighty" will get what's coming though.

What's interesting is that WCS is sending correspondence to an address I'm currently living at in Brum, even though I've always used my other address in London for the Barclays account and correspondence.

Ali

Please excuse my continued thickness! :???:

Could someone with ahead for paperwork clarify the following bits? I'm nearly there and I'm hoping to get the peperwork in tomorrow.

--------------------------

15. The Bank wrongly debited the Account with Charges totalling some £[is this just charges -or- charges plus interest taken by the bank?] between [Date of first charge] and [date of last OD interest taken before account closure?]. Particulars appear from Schedule 2.

16. On [ date of your preliminary letter (my prelim sums were goofed and same for first LBA but the last LBA was correct, will that matter?) ] the Claimant demanded repayment of the sums

wrongly debited.

17. The Defendant has not repaid them or any of them. And the Claimant claims:

(1) A declaration that the sums totalling £[ Charges AND OD interest, or just charges? ] have wrongly been debited from the Account

(2) Payment of the said sum of £[ is this just the OD interest if its just the charges above? ] charged by the Bank thereon.

(3) Interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of wrongful debit to date in the sum of £[s.69 Interest total as on the spreadsheet], and at the daily rate of [ daily s.69 rate ] until judgment or sooner payment.

(4) Court costs of [ I'm on jobseeker's so I don't have to pay the fees, so do I put zero here or what it would have cost me, since Barclays will probly be paying the court for wasting its time?].

I believe that the facts stated in these particulars, comprising of X pages, are true.

Dated today

Signed ME!

------------------------

How long do you think it will take to get me cash? I'd really like to be able to afford some sort of xmas this year...

Hi AliD,

15. Just the bank charges.

Are you claiming the OD int't they've chgd you. I doesn't work this way!

16. No matter - so long as the last LBA was OK.

17. (1) Charges only

(2) Charges only

(3) THIS is where you add the s.69 int't

(4) Leave out this para.

The SOC gives you the totals of chgs paid and of the s.69 int't you can now add to your claim as you are Filing at Court.

You cannot just reclaim the OD interest they've charged you - if you do, the court and the bank won't take you seriously and your claim will fail.

If you don't stick to the guides given, I'm sorry but you won't win.

You ask how long before you get the cash -

Bad news - Bank will Defend in January, then AQ's, so your case may not be seen by a judge before March.

Good news - The OFT test case may be resolved by then so your case may not be stayed.

The unauthorised overdraft was made up entirely of bank charge interest, so according to the guide it forms part of the figure I can claim. There was never any authorised overdraft.

I wasn't sure wether (1) and (2) were referring to different parts of the total claim. I'll put the same figure (with OD interest but without s.69 interest) in both of those.

Having received either a summary of charges, or copy statements, and calculated your charges (plus any overdraft interest which you can show was caused solely by those charges - not general overdraft interest), enter them into one of our spreadsheets in the Library. This will also calculate a further kind of interest (at 8%) but this is not reclaimable at this early stage and is for future reference only.
I understand (3) and I just deleted (4).

IMHO the test case will totally absolutely definitely be found in the bank's favour, without a shadow of a doubt. Banks run this planet, Novus Ordo Seclorum and all that. Though, if the judges have half a moral testicle between them, hopefully they will still allow claiming of older charges that were accompanied by "blah blah blah to cover our costs" letters. I've kept all of mine.

Thanks again for your help slick! :D

Re your penultimate para, I don't get the latin but you're on your own with your opinion. Look at what's happening re CCard claims now.

Taking advice re OD int't and will come back.

Taken advice - IF OD made up entirely of penalty chgs, you can try just adding int't to your SOC, then claim s.69 int't on top.

If, however, your a/c was in credit or if OD caused by anything other than penalty chges, you would have to do more complicated calcs to arrive at int't you can claim.

Sorry if my advice was off the mark - but you do seem to have a flare for doing things your own way, which could lead to probs.

Slick