• Tweets

• Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
    • Hi. I'm afraid I've had to hide your post with the pdf files to keep this anonymous for you. You've left the PCN reference number and your car reg showing. Could you edit that and repost please? HB    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Meee V Halifax (they're refusing to pay after 1st letter)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6042 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Firstly, I wish I'd chanced upon this site before I'd sent my first letter to the Halifax. Fountains of knowledge is an understatement!

I had an old account with Halifax which incurred charges for being overdrawn plus interest on the overdraft totalling £1722.57 which I am trying to reclaim.

My first letter requesting the refund has been rejected, the reason being that they are quoting the T&C's of the account in that when agreeing to have my current account with them I essentially agreed to all of their 'fair administration costs.' Therefore they have done nothing wrong and therefore I am not getting my money back....

Is this a normal tact with them? If so what should my next move be? I waited the 40 days after the 1st letter out - my 1st letter went on 25th April, as I already had my statements between 2001 and when I closed the account. Now they've annoyed me and I am determined to get a refund!

Look forward to your feedback, thanks!

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Yes we all get those fob off letters, the idea is for them to get you to back down and not go through with it.

We all now know differently.

Here are some handy book marks that you can look back at when you need to know what steps to take next :

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html#post436526

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Read all you can - plus at the top of this page are some **win** threads you can read.

You will find lots of help and support here and any worries of fears, post them here and someone will pop in and help.

Good luck with your claim.

M/H

Thanks for your replies. I thought that it was a delay tactic on their part, and having read over some of the other cases seeing that they have done it to others I am now pretty confident with what my claim. It appears that once you take them to court they mostly settle? What are the costs of lodging a court claim for the amount I am claiming, I've seen elsewhere that it could be £30-£120?

I shall be sending them a LBA as a next step then, and will keep my progress posted on here.

They did make me laugh though as they tried to take the moral high ground with me - I had a difficult year when all these charges started a while back which involved me going overdrawn then they applied charges and interest to the overdraft thus increasing the debt. It has since been repaid, but because of the way that the Halifax dealt with my accounts at the time I transferred my business to the Natwest where I have several healthy savings accounts, plus a mortgage etc. The Halifax offered me debt counselling in that letter of response. Cheek!

Your story is much the same as all the rest of us!

We're behind you!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

They did make me laugh though as they tried to take the moral high ground with me.......................The Halifax offered me debt counselling in that letter of response. Cheek!

Hi meee,

similar story here with me.

Charged £100 debt counselling fee by Halifax. Now got all charges back except that one. BoS repaid charges on 3 accounts. Letters from them include following statement...

"However, we do value our relationship with you and pleased to tell you..........."

I bet they valued their relationship with me (and everyone else here- its a standard letter remember.) They ripped us of for years and lived off the proceeds.

You will get the refund and that will mean a banking relationship on different terms. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies, great to hear from others in the same boat.

Sent off my LBA via email today to [email protected] (that way I get delivery receipts for free and they can't blame Royal Mail for 'misplacing' my letters). Gives them until the 9th July.

Watch this space! Good luck everyone else with your cases.

Just a quick query as I've had more time to digest statements from the Halifax. The statements they sent from 2001 until 2003 (when the account was closed) detailed charges for going over my overdraft, plus interest on the overdraft. The later parts on the statement had the charges and interest bundled in together. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've asked for the charges and the interest back...is this right? I am just thinking about what I am allowed to claim back through court should it get that far.

Thanks.

Ahh I see, all makes sense. Well I've put the interest charges on my schedule of costs as they lumped the two together with later charges in their printed statements that they sent me. Very odd, but then most of the things they did with my account were.

At the end of the day if it goes to court I'll be asking for it back then anyway, plus interest so it might encourage them to settle early...yeah I saw that pink pig just then too!

I am currently at the stage where I sent a letter off, the initial letter asking for about £2,100. As seems to be the stance now, they wrote back totally refusing anything. I then re-calculated with the 8% stat. interest giving them 14 days before court, and that was now 14 days ago. So i guess now it's moneyclaimonline time right? Any advice appreciated!

From reading other people's cases on the won thread I reckon it might be worth ringing them before you lodge the claim. I should think they're snowed under with claims which is why a lot of people don't hear back within the 14 days. Those that just go on with the claim tend to win. You could call and say you've got the N1 form in front of you and do you really want me to take you to court and add to your costs? Worth a shot, it's what I intend to do!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. The 14 days passed this Monday. Emailed my LBA to about 5 different people at the Halifax on Sunday as I've not had any acknowledgement etc. Called them today and spoke to a guy called Phil (bit of a wet blanket bless him, but then I'd lose the will to live having to field these claims all day). Explained that I'd rather not go to court but if they didn't pull their finger out they'd leave me no choice...he said that my case is due to be re-looked at and that someone should call me in the next few days.

I shall be calling them again tomorrow...they won't win this one!

Update; had a call back from a helpful lady called Lauren today. Apparently they are willing to make a 'goodwill gesture' offer...but there's a catch.

As my account went overdrawn thanks to my kind ex by nearly £6k it was passed to their collections department. I made a repayment of over £5k about two years prior to this plus I'd been making regular repayments before then and the account was closed. They are now saying that I still owe them nearly £1500 despite the fact that the account is closed and settled, and any charges that they will refund me will need to be paid back to that amount...so they are giving me the money back with one hand but still keeping it with the other!

Also, as it was a joint account with my ex, if they were to issue a cheque then they would have to do it in joint names. Bit of a snag seeing as we do not have a joint account any more and I wouldn't piddle on him if he was a flaming inferno.

Very annoyed to say the least, but I'm not giving up!

Ok, partial victory here.....

Called Halifax, pointed out that the money I paid them was a full and final settlement on any outstanding monies. So they have agreed to refund me my charges. We're currently at 75% of what they've worked out they owe me (which is still incorrect). BUT they have to get my ex's authority to release the amount in my name only............haha

It pays to call them, trust me!