Valid Pay and Display Ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was issued a Penalty Charge Notice in a pay and display car park, the problem is I had purchased a valid ticket which had obviously become unfixed from my windscreen so was not able to be seen ( as their poor digital photographs are suppose to prove). I appealed against this as I was under the impression that because I had actually purchased a ticket it might get canceled.

Anyway today I have received a letter stating that I still have to pay as the ticket was not displayed.

Is it easiest just to give in and pay the £30 or is there any easy part of the parking law that will help me?

Thanks

Yes I have, I made them photocopy it for the appeal, the ticket expired at around 18.30 (I haven't got in infront of me at the moment) and my pcn was issued at 18.08.

• 2 weeks later...

was the ticket issued by a council/local authority or private company? some companies are a lot harsher than others which isn't very good for you as you seem to be up against a harsher one.

the company i used to work for, we used to cancel if provided with proof of a valid ticket, but that's no use to you really is it! i hope you managed to get it sorted.

columbia :) x

The contravention you have been charged for is 'not displaying a valid ticket' and NOT 'not buying one'. Having a valid ticket can be used as part of mitigating circumstances but its up to the council to decide how generous they are feeling if they let you off or not. Unless there was some mistake in the legal process which is much less common than some on this board like to think you are better off just paying and remember to ensure it does not happen again.

The contravention you have been charged for is 'not displaying a valid ticket' and NOT 'not buying one'. Having a valid ticket can be used as part of mitigating circumstances but its up to the council to decide how generous they are feeling if they let you off or not. Unless there was some mistake in the legal process which is much less common than some on this board like to think you are better off just paying and remember to ensure it does not happen again.

If the local authority is issuing pay and display tickets with poor quality adhesive on the back of them then that is a defence. What is immoral about this is councils insisting on people who have bought a ticket (and they can prove they have) having to pay the fine for non display, despite having paid for their parking. That is a disgrace.

There are many reasons councils enforce this offence, a motorist could for example obtain a ticket from another driver after the pcn was issued and claim it as theirs. If motorists thought it was not enforced they would deliberatly put face down to avoid getting done for being over time.

So why enforce it if the motorist is able to produce a valid ticket, especially if people are sticking them to their windscreens and the tickets are falling off because the adhesive on the ticket is inadequate?

Ask an obliging motorist when they return, pick it up off the floor, ask a friend, relative, neighbour, work colleague parked in same parking place or yes as you suggest even break in. You may have been trying to be sarcastic but cars get broken in to for items worth much less than the £80 a PCN would cost them.

green and mean

You seem to be judging the public by parking attendant's standards!

I am afraid that the majority of us are far less devious and underhanded than the wardens that I have met...

Regards,

buggerlugs

Pre CAG:

Intelligent Finance - Judgement in default, settled in full 13/09/06 (£690.17)

Cooperative Bank - Full out of court settlement 12/12/06 (£2426.50)

Settled after first LBA - now that's what I call cooperative!

Since Join CAG:

BarclayCard - Full settlement including court fees, interest and cost! 29/03/06 (763.93)

It only took 6 months!

I am not judging anyone just stating the reasoning behind the enforcement. I got a penalty fare recently on the train for forgetting to put my season ticket in my wallet when I left home. I could have argued that since I had one at home I should have been let off since I could have produced it later, but who is to say someone else was not using it at the same time? Rules are there sadly to protect the law abiding majority from the dishonest minority. If councils scrapped traffic wardens and relied on motorists 'honesty' to pay to park how many of the honest public do you think would park and pay correctly? We live in a society where people break into disabled peoples cars to steal their parking permits to save a few £'s I think you would be surprised how underhand the great british public can be.

OT Green and mean....I know my train company will issue fines for not having season ticket with you, but if you can provide it / show it they often cancel the fines - this is according to their own literature!

Back to topic, do you have copies of the council's pics you can share?

You are right traditional traffic wardens are employed by the police but it is also used commonly to describe anyone employed to issue parking tickets. I hope you get lots of pleasure showing everyone how clever you are without serving any useful purpose.

You are right traditional traffic wardens are employed by the police but it is also used commonly to describe anyone employed to issue parking tickets. I hope you get lots of pleasure showing everyone how clever you are without serving any useful purpose.

So you don't think that where the use of the correct terminology is absolutely crucial in fighting PCNs, that referring to the correct title for the pond-life that hand them out is important.

The fact that some people use the wrong term needs to be corrected. The powers conferred on each varies enormously.

green and mean

It is not just nomenclature, personally, I would welcome the return of the traffic warden, because as far as I am aware they were generally honest, public servants who were allowed to use their discretion as to whether or not to issue a parking ticket. That is, as opposed to the current regime of parking attendants who seem to be paid on commission and have been known to give parking tickets to anything from an ambulance to a rabbit hutch. In my experience, they make a mockery of the law and they are little more than highway robbers.

Regards,

buggerlugs:rolleyes:

PS: Once I have finished suing the banks over their unlawful penalty charges, I intend to sue a certain parking company over their attempts to pervert the course of justice.

Pre CAG:

Intelligent Finance - Judgement in default, settled in full 13/09/06 (£690.17)

Cooperative Bank - Full out of court settlement 12/12/06 (£2426.50)

Settled after first LBA - now that's what I call cooperative!

Since Join CAG:

BarclayCard - Full settlement including court fees, interest and cost! 29/03/06 (763.93)

It only took 6 months!