• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Claire G v Abbey

cgandps
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

MCOL transferred my case to Wigan County Court about 6 weeks ago now. I phoned the court up a few weeks ago to check everything was ok, and the woman said all I can do is wait. Is this right? Does it take quite a while. I'm not bothered how long it takes, just don't want things to go wrong. I haven't been asked to fill out an allocation Q (yet), this line was crossed out in the letter I received.

Any help appreciated.

Claire

Hi Claire

Welcome to 'Beat the Banker'.

Yes, the court is correct all you can do is wait for them to contact you. The AQ is now commonly being dispensed with at the MCOL stage to try and speed things up. The truth is the court system is swamped with these people claiming against the banks. I myself have been waiting for a date since my case was transferred on May 9th.

Hope this helps.

Simon

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

Cg.......don't count on the AQ beind dispensed with. My letter had the line about the AQ crossed out but my local court decided they still wanted one....it took about four weeks before they sent it out to me.

Some courts are dispensing with them as Simon rightly said.......but not all.

It isn't a quick process claiming charges back...but you will get there! My claim took 7 months and I just got full settlement two days ago.

Keep reading threads....learn as much as you can.

All the very best :D

Hi Claire,

I have a case against A+L at Wigan County Court and they sent me an Allocation Questionaire. They are pretty easy to fill out and just add the draft order for directions to it. Just awaiting to hear from them now.

Good luck with your claim.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Sorry I don't know what you mean about adding the draft order? How long was it until they sent you the AQ? Let me know how you get on - good luck

Claire

Hi Claire,

The Allocation Questionnaire arrived a couple of days after A&L filed a defence. The Draft Order i mentioned , would if granted by the district judge speed up the process hopefully. There is a link here.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53570-new-strategy-allocation-questionnaires.html

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Claire,

Give the court a ring to see if Abbey have filed a defence. If they haven't then you should be able to file for judgment by default.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Hi Joe,

A defence was filed before it was transferred. I phoned Wigan CC up today, and the lady said I should hear from them within the next couple of weeks or so. She said that it is with the judge, and they are currently going through about 150 a day. So hopefully I should hear soon. She did say that from her expereince working there, the banks never turn up. Once they get a court date they are on a count down, and usually pay in the 11th hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, now I'm in a state of panic. I received "General Form of Judgement or Order" from Wigan County Court today. Please could somebody help me with this. Do I need to do anything? The content is:

Upon Consideration of the Court Papers IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. The claim is allocated to the small claims track.

2. By 4pm on 9th August 2007 the claimant shall file and serve a schedule setting out each charge the claimant claims as part of this claim.

3. By 23rd August 2007 the defendant file and serve a counter-schedule setting out which charges or amounts are admitted or denied and the reasons for any such denial.

4. The claim shall be listed for a preliminary hearing on the following date to consider how the claim should be conducted.

4th Sept etc

Estimated length of hearing 10 minutes.

There is more content, but the main part of the letter is above.

Do I need to do anything?

Please help, I'm shaking as it doesn't make much sense to me

please? can anyone help? I have phoned the court, and even the lady I spoke to couldn't decipher the letter. reading it, I think they just need my spreadsheet with the charges. There is no mention of a court bundle. I have just looked at the basic court bundle on here, and don't understand that either :confused:

Claire..... your schedule is a list (preadsheet) detailing all the charges tou are claiming with the corresponding reference, eg: Overdraft Limit Exceeded - £35 (and the date it was taken from your account).

Abbey have to submit their response by their set date or they have failed to comply to a Court Order and consequently are likely to have their Defence struck out! Likewise you will have your Claim struck out if you fail to submit your side before the set date!

Hope thats clearer?

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

I handposted a breakdown of the Schedule of Charges through the court letter bx last night (deducting the £718) Abbey have paid me (and attached a copy of their letter). I will ring the Court on Tuesday to make sure they got it. Hope this was the right thing.

I posted my Schedule of Charges through the letterbox of the court on Saturday (sent a copy to Abbey). I phoned the Court on Tues to check they had it, and they said yes, and they were happy. I asked them if I need to prepare anything else i.e a court bundle, and they said no. Has anybody else known this? My preliminary hearing is on 4th Sept

I posted my Schedule of Charges through the letterbox of the court on Saturday (sent a copy to Abbey). I phoned the Court on Tues to check they had it, and they said yes, and they were happy. I asked them if I need to prepare anything else i.e a court bundle, and they said no. Has anybody else known this? My preliminary hearing is on 4th Sept via the small claims route

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

I called them early last week, and they didn't say it was stayed. They did say some of the newer cases would be stayed, and the older ones were going through. Not sure which mine falls into.

Claire

I'm a bit worried about not sending Abbey a letter stating I do not accept the small payment they put into my account as full and final. I phoned MCOL the day is happened, and asked the lady if I need to write to or contact Abbey, and she said no, just continue with the claim as it is. My hearing is on Tuesday. Could this jeopardise my case?

Hi, if there was nothing in the letter that they sent you stating that unless they hear from you within a certain amount of time they will consider the claim settled, then dont worry about it, but I would send then a quick letter saying that you will accept this as a partial settlement only and will persue them for the rest.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed