Buying from a person

Leaf Face

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I want to buy festival tickets from someone from eBay. I am well aware alarm bells are ringing already but I have spoken to the person and he seems very genuine. I don't want to be completely stupid and send him £400 only to find in two months time I might not have the tickets and no way to recover the money.

So what can I do ?

Paypal cannot protect me as they only offer 45 days and I hear they aren't so great anyway.

Is it enough to get this guy to sign a letter to state he will deliver the tickets by x date with a signature of my receipt of those tickets or he will refund me the money ?

I think I'd rather make sure the law can protect me as I don't have faith that eBay will.

Nope - it wouldn't matter what you did. Even if you got them face to face and they looked genuine before you passed over the cash. In addition to possibly losing your ticket price, trying to enforce legal action after it went wrong probably would be a waste of money too. The only way you should enter this is if you can afford for it to go wrong, and be pleasantly surprised if it all goes to plan.

The most successful conmen are those that seem genuine. That is how they are so successful at ripping people off.

Buy them if you wish. But as Buzby has pointed out, if things go wrong, you will have little, if any chance of making successful claim.

Buy from a recognised agent instead. It may be more expensive than the £400 initially, but you will at least you you will have the tickets and entry to the festival.

Buzby said it all .... [problematic] delight. Ebay actually said it's not allowed to sell tickets before 30 days of the event but there are sellers that do.

I wouldn't personally buy any from ebay

Also a seller at the moment of t in the park tickets who has sold them and other festivals is currently dishing out refunds as his provider has not honoured ao he has been scammed by someone who he has got tickets from in the last 5 years!!!!

Beware

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Guest ArthurP

I fail to see how, if you bought these tickets, you would not have a claim against this chap should he not then provide them?:?

Without the benefit of reading the T&C's of the resale policy of tickets for this event-let us assume this is indeed allowed by the event organisers.

Therefore you would be buying something from somebody and if they don't produce then you have a legal comeback, surely?

Just make sure you have the name and address of the seller.

There is a difference between having rights and actually pursuing those rights. If a debtor owes you money, you can get a CCJ against them. If they have no money or assetts however, then the CCJ will be for nothing.

The problem with fraudsters is that they disappear or provide false information, so that when it comes to taking the person to court, they often cannot be traced. That is the issue here.

• Haha 1

Noone in disputing that they would have a claim from the seller.

I think they would prefer to receive their tickets then pay again from another outlet and or persuing the original seller that may take months if they have got the real name and address of the seller which is highly unlikely if they are [problematic]

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Guest ArthurP

The way I read the OP was can he use the law against somebody who sells him something and then doesn't come up with the goods.

Maybe the OP could clarify if this was the question rather than being concerned about a fraudster who has no intention of supplying tickets and will be using a false name and address.

From what I can read the Op is worried about splashing out a small fortunre on tickets and getting bugger all in return. In such a case, the OP wants to ensure he is protected - that he will get his money back.

In the case posted, it is a possibility the money may be reclaimed should such a thing go wrong, but as I have pointed out, having rights and enforcing them are different creatures.