ATM stole my money

alexteh

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bank with Smile and last Tuesday I went to a local bank machine (operated by Abbey outside their branch) and inserted my card, asked for £100. The machine gave my card back, said "counting money" and then did nothing. After a few minutes it went back to the "Please insert your card" screen although my account had been debited.

I went into the Abbey branch (leaving my daughter outside to ensure the money didn't pop out later!) and complained and they were rude but basically said Tough and to speak to my bank. I lodged a complaint with Smile by both secure message and telephone who are now "investigating" and say that the investigation has to go through the Link system and I'll hear back within 10 working days.

Apart from the fact that £100 is a not insignificant amount of money (it was my grocery money for the next fortnight and I've had to borrow money from my family to get by), past experience has shown that I'm unlikely to get it back. If they fail to return the money is there anything I can do? Can I file a fraud or theft claim with the Police?

The reason I'm doubtful I'll ever see the cash again is that a few years ago my card was stolen from my purse in London just after I'd used the bank machine and £200 was taken. I reported it within 30 minutes of realising and while I was on the phone to the bank, a further £50 was taken. I never gave my PIN to anyone and assume it was a "shoulder surfing" job as I was in Oxford St. at the time. The bank stated that the only way that the money could have been withdrawn is if I'd given my PIN to someone and they were therefore not going to refund and claimed never to have heard of shoulder surfing etc.

Yes, aren't banks nice!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Guest express

If the money didn't come out of the ATM, then when they do the audit on that particular ATM it will show a credit. Therefore you will most certainly get your money refunded to your account.

This happened to me, but it was a Barclays ATM that didn't give me my money. I bank with Abbey. When I called Abbey, they said it would take a few days to audit that particular machine.

I had my money back within 7 days.:)

den3371:p

Have you checked balance on the account , to ensure the account has been debited with £100.00?

As previous poster said they will audit/balance ATM if they find £100.00 difference.

This can take time since most ATms are not serviced by branches, but an outside company.They then take the receipt rolls etc.

It shouldnt be that much of a hassle, but yes 10 days is a long time to be waiting. And no need for staff to be nasty!!!

I once lifted £300 out an RBS one in my branch, and in the midlle of the transaction got an important call offering me a job. i was so happy i forgot to take the cash out the machine and when the card came out, i just walked away!!!!!

i got to the car and thought, this wallet seems empty, then literally RAN back to the bank and the same thing happened. they audited it 5 days later and cash was in my account right away.

Bally - yeah they definitely debited the money immediately. I phoned my SO and checked online and it was already gone!

Are the ATM's actually at bank branches serviced by outside companies? I was under the impression that they were filled internally a la the old advert "it's like filling a photocopier really only the paper's more expensive"

Sorry to learn of you misfortune.

Money is counted out of ATMs and if not physically withdrawn from the cash dispenser, then after around 30 seconds the ATM swallows the cash. The cash isn't counted back in. Lets hope when the ATM in question is checked it isn't £100 down.

Although you suffered fraud several years ago, you may consider challenging your card company again. Tell them you weren't aware that acquiring PINs is so easy. Restate you weren't negligent with your PIN and ask them to prove you were;

As for reporting card fraud if you live in England and Wales here is the bad news. Click here for the BBC video.

Written article from the BBC: click here.

There's only 2 ways to fight back. Bin your PIN and get yourself Chip & Signature cards

By the way the PIN in the BBC video is 1901 I believe.

There was a common technique used a few years ago round our neck of the woods. People would use glue or another adhesive on the ATM, inwhich the machine would pay out but the money would be caught between the rollers and the metal fixing of the ATM.

The people that have done this would then approach the machine at the end of the day and force the machine to open *crowbar or something* and take out the cash that would be there.

I dont know how valid this is, but it was a rumour that someone I know admitted to doing. As to wether it was an "Im cool look at me" statement or an urban myth.

Well 10 working days later and the bank have finally recredited my account. Obviously not back-dated though so I'll still get charged for going overdrawn.

If you get charged for being overdrawn demand it back together with a payment for your inconvenience. Don't take no for an answer.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

• 3 years later...