Homeless Small Baby Partner Left

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I urgently need some advice. After a difficult year and loads of problems with paying rent finally my eviction has come through and i literally have a day left before bailiffs come. I had applied for council housing when these problems started and it was a joint application with my partner. We have now separated due to various reasons. I have a 3 month old baby and no job. Tomorrow i have a meeting with the council and they are expecting me to go with my partner as until a few weeks ago we were still trying to sort things out. Anyone knows what will happen if i just turn up on my own? will i have to re-apply for housing as a single person? Also i was receiving housing benefits in my name but my partner spent most of it the last 3 months (this is one of the main reasons we have split up) leaving me unable to pay any money to the landlord who's obviously very ****ed now and reprted it to the council.

What kind of action can the council take over non-payment of housing benefits to the landlord. I am really scared and i really don't know what to do. ANy advice welcome and sorry for rambling on. if you need more details please PM me.

All I can say is go the meeting and tell the council exactly what you have told us.

If they are human they should be able to lsiten to what you have to say and then offer, hopefully, helpful advice.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

PPMAN

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

If I understand correctly; the council has paid you housing benefit and your partner has spent it on something else. The council will not pursue you for it but the landlord might. Unless he will agree to some kind of instalments repayment option, he may proceed with the possession action. Councils often help with arrears as it is more practical and cheaper for them then house you in a temprary accommodation.

There is no requirement for you to attend a meeting with your partner if he has left. But you must be absolutely clear in the meeting; the financial mismanagment was due to your ex-partner's actions, not yours. This will help you to avoid a label of "intentional homelessness" where council can wash their hands of you.

I notice you have a small baby; in my experience, in times of such upheaval, which is very often accompanied by post-natal depression, it is very difficult to manage on every day basic level, let alone deal with irresponsible partner and eviction.

Council may also try to shove you into your relatives/friends home- be prepared to offer explanation why you cannot stay with someone else.

Call Shelter and discuss with thm your current situation with regards to possession proceedings: Shelter: Advice and support

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Many thanks for your advice. I went to the Council this morning and they are suggesting i look for letting agencies who accept housing benefits. Failing that they have told me that once i am "on the streets" they only have duty to re-house me for 28 days. I asked what will happen after 28 days and she said "you will not be our responsibility anymore".

What chance do i have to get a place to live through a letting agent as a single mother, without work?

they only have duty to re-house me for 28 days

WHAT???

wrong, wrong, wrong.

My advice is: make an immediate homelessness application, on basis of being theatened with homelessness.

See post: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/landlords-tenants/94427-revised-homelessness-code-guidance.html#post869601

and Shelter: Homelessness

The local authority has a duty to conduct inquiries and to accommodate you in interim period.

Using Shelter: Advice services directory find a local help source.

Make fuss, do not ever take LA arguments on face value, prepare yourself and be strong. READ UP, know your rights.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi hope u r well, not sure if this will help, when you got notice the bailiffs were coming you should of registered as homeless, this would of given you 28 days to find accomodation, we have just had a similar problem with family member, was made homeless we took them in and small child, they went to council next day to register as homeless, ( if this is deemed unintenional homeless they have to rehouse you or put you in bed and breakfast accom until suitable accom is found, not jsut 28 days, if they are stating they only have to house yo for 28 days would seem they are seeing you as being intentionally homelessSEEK ADVICE FROM C.A.B asap, or other welfare group good luck

thanks!! am trying to gather all the strength I have left and as much info as possible.

I have re-read your original post, and can tell you that things are not as black as you think.

As you are more than 8 weeks in arrears, the local authority will pay you landlord direct. That's the most important thing: he has rent coming in so can meet his mortgage/leasehold/legal obligations.

Approach him and explain how you have been let down by your ex. See if you can agree a schedule of repayments to clear the arrears over time. If you are making an effort and show you are responsible, most landlords are reasonable. After all, if they take proceedings they will almost certainly have a void (vacant) period of at least a month.

Lastly, when HB last review your rent? If more than a year then, if like our area, rents have risen your landlord can increase your rent likewise and HB can re-assess your benefit.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.