Are you being harassed on the telephone by your bank or by debt collectors?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the DCA in question 1st Credit? If so, they tried the same **** on me. I don't believe they can get a charging order as my original debt was unsecured. And I also believe the debt is statute barred in any case as this is more than 6 yrs old. If anyone's able to confirm this, I'd be grateful...Got some help which was great, but unable to get confirmation about the charging order.

TIA :)

Anyone can get a charging order if they go to court and claim you owe them money. It can be defended, but in my case I did not hear about the case beforehand - judgement just appeared one day. It was easy to get it set aside, as I had a strong argument that there was no debt :-) But if you have admitted the debt, then it may be more problematic...

If it is statute barred, then you have a defence...

Regards

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Me vs Rockwell/Tessara/RBofS: pending.

Me vs MBNA/1st Crud: Discontinued.

First Direct Overdraft: CCJ won.

IR: 2 CCJs 1 won.

Birmingham Midshires: pending

BT: pending

others to come....

Wondered if anyone has received any help from CAG in persuing a harrassment case. I asked for help a few months back. In response I received a PM from a moderator asking me to email Bankfodder. I did this but received no reply. I was tied up with other matters in the interim, but was given a prompt a couple of weeks back and came back to the harrassment. I PMed the moderator, but again I have had no response.

My details are in this post on this thread.

I would like to talk to a reliable solicitor who is not too expensive in order to get advice and possibly take action...

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Me vs Rockwell/Tessara/RBofS: pending.

Me vs MBNA/1st Crud: Discontinued.

First Direct Overdraft: CCJ won.

IR: 2 CCJs 1 won.

Birmingham Midshires: pending

BT: pending

others to come....

My mother recieved a call yesterday from a debt collector who was looking for my ex-wife (we divorced YEARS ago) and they were very aggressive and abusive. We have no contact details for my ex, she moved back to Japan befoer the divorce and I have no interest in knowing where she is...you understand.

Anyway, they did not identify themselves, but said that she had used my parents address and that therefore they must know where she is. They have not seen her or heard from her in 10 yearsand their address was NEVER her address!

I want to help them know what to say if these people call again. Help please?

If they refuse to identify themselves on the phone then tell them to Feck Off. You could of course ask them for a contact number and then you will be able to find out who to send the Telephone Harassment Letter to. If you cannot get this contact your telephone company and report threatening phonecalls froma witheld number. Keep a log of the dates and times of the calls.

Just adding my experiences...

Capital One have phoned my workplace about three times despite being told each time in no certain terms NOT to and promising over phone to delete records only for same to happen again. Last case was couple months ago.. they say they have deleted my works number and will not call (we'll see)...

They have had two letters stating harassment etc - had reply to first saying basically no way will they delete my details as they reserve right to contact me (cheeky sods!). My second letter was sent special delivery and stated that I would be taking legal action and recording calls within x days of letter date. I also mentioned I do not give out personal information on the telephone and neither will I discuss financial matters on telephone. I have had phone line disconnected from the socket for my sanity for last few months........ :( then again I've always hated answering the telephone anyhow. Have Tiscali - BT say tiscali should deal with call barring... and tiscali say BT should deal with call barring.. round and round I go.....

I will be plugging line in again on the recording day.... oh and need to find recording device... any way connecting pc to landline... 1o_ years ago there was simple telephony software which did all that for you... answering machine, fax, etc.. plug phone into modem ( modem.. that must be the catch.. broadband router only has 'in' line???)

Somehow either Capital one or Co-operative bank got my mobile number and have been calling my phone.. I then used a useful bit of software (it's a pda/phone) which allows me to program telephone number to block...

PocketGear : Call Block for Pocket PC

hope linking to external site allowed? Here's one place to download.... free for trial period and then only thing is message reminders. still blocks calls. Keeps handy records of calls.. except now I get unknown numbers calling (are banks starting to use VoIP??)

• 2 weeks later...

Buchananan Clark and Wells have harrassed me for over a year,(Under different names) they say I owe Bt and Edf monies,EDf have no chance as when I was with them I was on a key meter which bcw have had confirmed by edf ;although confirmed they state I stillowe them £64 .bt left me without access to my telephone for over a month then said I owed them £27 erm my phone did not work due to a problem out side of my flat which took a month for an engineer to fix so I owe them nothing (Icancelled my line prior to the repair as it was taking so long,this morning I recieved a text telling me to contact bcw on 08717001510, this is a premium line number how can they justify doing something like this??

I have just signed up for this, however I'm now wondering if they will just keep changing the number they use to call from- we're talking Lloyds-TSB whose calls are begining to really stress me out.

Recorded delivery Telephone harrasment letter has been completely ignored and I never answer the phone these days so it seemed worth £3.35 a month to put a barrier between them and me.

Choose to Refuse

(from BT)

Stop unwanted or nuisance calls.

What's the benefit?

Choose to Refuse prevents unwanted or nuisance calls getting through to you.

How does it work?

If you frequently receive unwanted or nuisance calls from a particular number, you can block that number from getting through to you. This ensures your peace of mind and, if later on you change your mind, you can lift the block and allow the caller to contact you again. (Unlikely!)

Zazen you will find that this reduces the number of unwanted calls dramatically. Most threat calls from DCAs are made by autodiallers which connect you one of their highly trained operatives if you pick up the call. These calls are usually witheld numbers or a number is displayed which shows where the call is coming from. (usually a generic 0870). To use another number they actually have to pick a seperate line and physically dial out. You will find that they only have a limited choice so in a short time you can block them all.

That's a relief!

However feeling somewhat empowered by doing something about it I just answered their latest call; went as follows:

Hello is that Mrs Debtor

Yes it is

I'm calling from Lloyds TSB

Why?

I'm calling because your account...

No, why are you calling me at all when I have proof that you have received my written request for all commuinication to be in writing

Confused silence followed by click, the monkey hung up on me!

Seconds later another call, probably redialed in shocked confusion that I had picked up the phone at last, she said 'hello' I said 'hello' all prepared to repeat myself but she hung up again.

I give myself a few points for calm but I wouldn't want to do this xx times a day so their number will now be blocked

Well done. Do not block them as you are empowered now. Tell them that as a result of your letter of x date (no phoning) you are now recording all breaches of OFT guidelines. It may take a few days but they will get the message.

That's a relief!

However feeling somewhat empowered by doing something about it I just answered their latest call; went as follows:

Hello is that Mrs Debtor

Yes it is

I'm calling from Lloyds TSB

Why?

I'm calling because your account...

No, why are you calling me at all when I have proof that you have received my written request for all commuinication to be in writing

Confused silence followed by click, the monkey hung up on me!

Seconds later another call, probably redialed in shocked confusion that I had picked up the phone at last, she said 'hello' I said 'hello' all prepared to repeat myself but she hung up again.

I give myself a few points for calm but I wouldn't want to do this xx times a day so their number will now be blocked

Nice one.

Can u get recording devices for mobiles?

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

My son complained to Intrum Justicia about their calls. They replied that they followed OFCom legislation.

The number that they have is a VOIP number that is picked up by their server after 15 seconds, then has a message "Hi, leave your message", then a beep.

The call log showed 21 calls, 1 message left (7 seconds of silence). Does that sound like they followed OFCom regulations?

IJ are talking nonsense about OfCom Legislation. There is no such thing. Harrasment is a subjective matter. If you feel harrased that is sufficient

It's not entirely subjective, it is the "reasonable man" test. So it is harassment if a reasonable man would regard it as harassment.

Hi Bo,

Have sent the letter twice now and beside telling them at least 9 times a day. "only in writing" they continue.

The latest trick is remaining silent and then hanging up on me!!

Have been around, BO put afraid i have become a bit of an ostrich lately!!

It's not entirely subjective, it is the "reasonable man" test. So it is harassment if a reasonable man would regard it as harassment.
....or if you deem it to be harrassment or it causes you anxiety or distress

Where do we stand on the old trick of blowing a whistle down the phone???

I am very tempted!!

I could no tell you where you stand but maybe they would get the message if you done it. Especially if it was beinging listened in on for training purposes. I understand where you are comming from as i have been very tempted to play bat outta hell down the phine to them as my hold music.

Chrissi

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.