• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Are you being harassed on the telephone by your bank or by debt collectors?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's not the timing of the calls that most are complaining about, it is the frequency.

Some members on here are reporting 20 or 30 calls per day, that's harrasment irrespective of the time they are made.

I agree, 20-30 calls per day is excessive. I was merely questioning the legitimacy of what you had written as, unfortunately, there are lots of rumours which circulate regarding what is legal and what isn't.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You've read too much into that. If a debt agency buys the debt, they will follow procedures to claim what is owed by the party in debt - this is often when assets are taken from the party in question, simply because there is no other option for [them] to clear their debt. Yes, it needs to go through court, but with debt rising it's becoming a more common occurrence. So what I said isn't entirely erroneous.

Anyway, don't bite my head off, I was merely trying to give some advice :)

Good luck, you probably need it?

No I haven't read too much into that. What I have read is someone spouting complete bull and trying to say that DCAs are nice people and do not swear, lie, harrass or cheat in an attempt to bully money from someone in financial trouble.

What really feeds my hatred about DCAs (and nothing will EVER change that hatred), was a friend in hospital dying, when told this in a phone call from the dca, they asked the daughter if she could go to the hospital and get her to sign a cheque before she goes.

Does that not show the complete **** they are?

Your actual words prove that point - Quote - Alternatively, the debt might get sold to a debt recovery agent. If this happens you'll have bailiffs knocking on the the door. - Unquote.

Exactly the sort of lies put into letters in order to frighten people.

Added by edit.

Your response to aktiv has another shining example of how you care not in the least that someone may just not be in a position to pay at that time.

even better, paid your debt

With rent, gas, electricity, council tax, water bills and food, (the basic life support things), to be paid, someone on statutory sick pay cannot always afford to pay non essential demands, usually by harrasement, but offered councilling with a view to assisting that person .

And just to add a little bit more:

If a debt agency buys the debt, they will follow procedures to claim what is owed by the party in debt -

Don't forget the bit they add on top of the amount owed as well.

So if I didn't care I would never have posted a comment explaining the often ignoble procedures that DCAs follow? I see. Seems that most people are just looking to blame their debt on others.

Anyway, I'm leaving this forum and won't be checking it again, so 'quoting' my replies will serve no purpose whatsoever as I won't be bothering to check. Good luck to those who have been ill treated by these companies, and that is sincere.

Conniff - your 'foreign aid' quote illustrates what you're like as a person perfectly. Your debt: maybe stop spending the 45p everyday on the Daily Mail, that way you'll be getting somewhere with your arrears! Ha.

"Well, if you don't play by my rules, I'm taking my ball away!" I thought we had grown up but obviously EB hasn't and still reverts to the school playground mentality.

I just checked back to EB's first post a few days ago which quoted my post on DCAs calling and quoting the Data Protection Act. I posted the comment last June, so it looks like some new members do look back.

I wonder which DCA or bank EB worked for?

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

you can obviously tell she is from a DCA, bank or some other type of company.

Playground mentality is a good thing for it.

Oh and following procedures to claim money that is owed in a debt.

That makes me laugh as they try and claim on debts that are not legal.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I wonder which DCA or bank EB worked for?

Who knows. What I will say is that the freaks that usually turn up on here are probably motivated financially. That would suggest that they hold a position of at least some power within their respective 'organisations'. It wouldn't actually surprise me at all if some of the top dogs showed their ugly mugs here. I mean can you really see the phone monkeys coming on? I don't think so. Perhaps they are finding it harder and harder to feed their cocaine addictions? :lol: :lol: :lol: If two of the more senior saddos I spoke to the other week about some of my debts weren't nasty cokeheads (i've known a few unfortunately) then i'm an Irishman! I would love to see the expressions they pull when they log on and see large debts disappear in front of their eyes! It must hurt their pockets so! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Read my post and weep you King Canutes! :-D :-D :-D

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

you can obviously tell she is from a DCA, bank or some other type of company.

Playground mentality is a good thing for it.

Oh and following procedures to claim money that is owed in a debt.

That makes me laugh as they try and claim on debts that are not legal.

I must admit, the reply I had of EB was rather presumtious, how would EB know if AK write before phoning? Pity they do not check their facts first though as it would save a lot of trees and call fees.

yep

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I think they intend on learning how they should operate.

Another regulator to complain to about DCAs, I think. Looks like this one is actually using its powers.

There is also another reason to complain. If a DCA is fined by a regulator, it would then have to be notified to its own regulator (ie the OFT come 6 April) who could then pull any licence.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Ive been having problems lately with DCA acting on behalf of Halifax credit card calling from this number 01772 557600 they are from Preston apparently but they call me at home most days and have even called my mobile.

I refuse to give them any details and just hang up, they usually try with a chap at first and after a bit of **** taking they realise they are not going to get anywhere.

Then they call back almost straight away this time with a female thinking im actually going to speak to her, needless to say they get the same treatment.

What id like to know is where they got my number from as ive only had it a few months and im ex-directory and in those months ive not had any communication with wny of my debtors what so ever?

What id like to know is where they got my number from as ive only had it a few months and im ex-directory and in those months ive not had any communication with wny of my debtors what so ever?

I would write a recorded delivery letter and ask them. If they're in breach of DPA, then you can have them...

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Me vs Rockwell/Tessara/RBofS: pending.

Me vs MBNA/1st Crud: Discontinued.

First Direct Overdraft: CCJ won.

IR: 2 CCJs 1 won.

Birmingham Midshires: pending

BT: pending

others to come....

They can get your number from numerous sources such as store cards, your bank, simple things like filling out a warranty for a new TV. All these details are passed on to the CRAs who share them with their good buddies in the DCA industry

I have been having a problem with Mint and Lloyds TSB Both whom I sent cheques at a discounted settlement for oustanding amounts on two credit cards. I am not going to waste time going through how I arrived at the settlement figure that is another story. On each cheque I wrote full and final settlement, enclosing a covering letter stating that cashing the cheques would mean that they agreed with the settlement figure. Both cheques were cashed. I received a letter stating that the cheques were cashed as part payment etc. I finally handled the problem to a firm of solictors to take over. While discussing the situation. I was told that in Scotland harasment by telephone was not legal but letters were. I have not heard from Mint since the last letter from the lawyer. But TSB has phoned many times. The last letter sent from the lawyer was 12th. March. The lawyer asked TSB to write them setting their legal authorities. Also a copy of the contract between Lloyds TSB and myself on which they would seek to rely. These have not arrived. I am still getting calls daily and will get in touch with the lawyer next week after allowing time for the letter of 12th March to work through their system. The latest thing I am doing when I get a call I let the phone hang on for some time before hanging up. Most of the times I an not in the office so it goes on my answering machine.

ODCThey can get your number from numerous sources such as store cards, your bank, simple things like filling out a warranty for a new TV. All these details are passed on to the CRAs who share them with their good buddies in the DCA industry

My home number is quite literally brand new and not even all of my mates have it, i havent applied for anything or given it to anyone so unless they got it from BT or SKY then i cant figure it out!

Does anyone think its worth changing a number to get these chimps off my back or will they just manage to find my number again.

Just hanging up is the best way maybe?

Even so they have my mobile no and i always ignore numbers i dont know or witheld numbers on that regardless as ive a separate number for work.

If you do not know how they got the number, it is pretty pointless changing it until you do know.

Most use autodiallers so say something for it to recognise a human voice then once connected to the call centre hang up, or just let BT1571 take any message they wish to leave.

I had chose to refuse and anonymous call barring on my phone for about a month and then I cancelled it as I could not justify the expense and felt better able to deal with them anyway.

However I am still completely DCA call free and I would guess it's because it has gone into their records that I have these services in place and they pass me by.

I don't expect this will last for ever, but even as a short term measure this will noticebly ease the pressure from this type of DCA activity.

Zazen

I beleive it should be a statutory right (and free/part of the service) to have 'choose to refuse'.

To have to pay to refuse unwanted calls seems to me an abuse of your privacy...

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Me vs Rockwell/Tessara/RBofS: pending.

Me vs MBNA/1st Crud: Discontinued.

First Direct Overdraft: CCJ won.

IR: 2 CCJs 1 won.

Birmingham Midshires: pending

BT: pending

others to come....

I had a call from some poor unfortunate from Oxendales this morning, he got the 'in writing only' bit followed by silence.

I felt quite sorry for him as he kept blustering 'This will not do miss **** this will not do at all...' as I stood there thinking 'well it's all you're getting mate!'

I don't know how long he stayed on the phone, I went off and played some nice new age music featuring Tibetan Singing Bowls and left him to it.

I found that our DCA friends got very excited when in response to their command asking me to answer security questions I simply said "No because" ..... and then played "Fings Aint What They Used To Be" by Max Bygraves:grin: . YouTube - Max Bygraves-Fings Aint What They Used To Be

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup