help! my son's new school wants to make a home visit!

bp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5964 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, can anyone advise me please. i've just received a letter from my son's new school. he is due to start reception class in Sept and apart from the letter stating that he has to attend so many days in before he officially starts(5 days in total) which is going to make things very difficult as i really don't have much annual leave left and need to spread it across the rest of the school holidays which are coming up. Anyway, One of the visits is a home visit they say its part of their induction. I'm a bit surprised by this, is this the norm? can i refuse? and maybe i shouldn't be but i'm a bit suspicious, is this some kind of government/social services thing? checking to make sure kids have safe homes or am i just mad?

Hi bp,

I think this is standard practice countrywide , as i have had home visits for all my kids before they started school. It's so you can ask any questions you may have and get to know them a bit better. Unsure if you can refuse or not though.

Joe

Thanks i guess this is one of those thing i have to get use to. But that means Ill have to take off 6 days leave before he even starts school

I also had a home visit for my daughter before she started school, I was friends with one of the teachers and she said it gives the teacher a chance to see the child in their own environment and also gives the child a chance to meet their new teacher where they feel comfortable - makes the transition into school a bit easier... dont worry its simply for your sons benefit and not for them to nosey round your house.:)

This certainly wasn't the case when our son started school last year. I may be a bit cynical but sounds a lot like "big brother" attitude. I certainly wouldn't agree to such an invasion of privacy.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

I heard it is done to ensure the child lives where the parents say a such (i.e, to catch parents who lie about the area they live in to get them into a school of their choice). Whether it is true or not I don't know.

I would not myself be happy about such a proposition - I do not see what business it is of theirs.

That might be the case for some schools, I live in a small village where everybody knows everybody so that wouldnt really apply, I dont know if you can refuse or what grounds you would give... might be worth giving the school a ring with your concerns

I dont know if you can refuse or what grounds you would give... might be worth giving the school a ring with your concerns

Of course you can refuse - the school have no right of entry into your property whatsoever; neither can they lawfully make it a condition of admission to the school - usually, they are not the admissions authority anyway

However - if it's the days holiday that gives you more concern, ask them to do it on a day that something else is happening?

My Son starts on the 10th and we have a home visit on the 4th and he has to go in on the 6th to see the school - or could they not make you a first/last appointment?

Although this may seem a bit inconvenient, I would welcome a home visit from my boy's teacher before he starts school, I'm all for anything that might benefit him and if his teacher can see both sides to his personality it may help them assess any strengths/weaknesses which they might put down to some other reason, however, if they have a background to the child's nature at home, it might help them to understand the child a bit better.

Also, I see the point about the child meeting the teacher before strting school as it helps them to recognise the familiar face they met before, and not everything will be entirely alien to them on starting school.

It's also a great one-to-one session for the parent to ask all they want to in a relaxing environment without feeling rushed by the next parents waiting to come in.

However, you should have the right to refuse though, no matter what reason, you may just not have the time or want to keep the whole parent/child/teacher thing more formal.

:DABBEY-WON! £1,359.34

:confused:CAPITAL ONE WON £1,523.27+£39court fees.

Well my son starts "proper" nursery in September and we havnt been told of such a thing, it is more than likely to check that you live where you say you live, but they can check that on the electoral register anyway.

I would ask for a reason why and for the consequences if you refuse, tell them you work and can only do it later on on a Weekday or at a weekend and see what they say.

Personally i think at best it is an invasion at worst another "big brother" action by local government

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Section 88A of School Standards and Framework Act 1988 provides:

No admission arrangements for a maintained school may require or authorise any interview with an applicant for admission to the school or his parents, where the interview is to be taken into account (to any extent) in determining whether the applicant is to be admitted to the school.

See also the following web page that sets out the advantages and disadvantages of home visits:

Should I carry out a home visit?

I would say that it's up to you to decide what you are most comfortable with, it never harmed me or my brother meeting our teacher for the 1st time on the 1st day of school, so I don't suppose this new idea will benefit our son in any way? Something to think about.

I believe if the old system worked okay and millions of children did it then why change it? Too many fluffy people out there interfering where there's no need to.

:DABBEY-WON! £1,359.34

:confused:CAPITAL ONE WON £1,523.27+£39court fees.

• 2 months later...
Guest louis wu

I can't see the problem, unless of course it is simply inconvenient to take the time off work.

I love the conspiracy theories though, maybe the teacher will leave a bug so 'THEY' can listen in on your conversations.

If you can't afford the time off, and they won't come when it's convenient for you, then refuse. If not, then whats the harm, surely your not ashamed to invite the teacher to your home, and it can only be a good thing for you and your childs teacher to get to know each other a little bit.

Hello BP.

I seem to remember my children could have been invited to an 'open day' for a visit to the school and to meet teachers, but it's so long ago I could well be mistaken.

Let a bunch of probably politically correct teachers, members of the NTU,

with agendas of their own, not to mention a snooping mandate from the local council into my home? As Gordon Ramsay would say 'Foxtrot Oscar'.

It stinks to high heaven, it really does.

Regards.

Vandemerwe

Well it seems i have no choice, unless i want to appear awkward which is not a good 1st impression. The home visit is on the 5th, not sure how long for. i guess in some ways it will be good for my son to get to know his teacher.

We'll see how it goes

Guest louis wu
Let a bunch of probably politically correct teachers, members of the NTU,

with agendas of their own, not to mention a snooping mandate from the local council into my home?

I think you forgot the one legged lesbians, communists, and any other steroetype you care to mention.

I think you may have just insulted a lot of dedicated, caring teachers with one carefully UNthoughtout post.

Nothing like an open mind

Well further to my earlier post that it is not the norm in this area, it now seems that it is, we have a "visit" planned for the 4th, quite why I dont know, but I shall report back, because I shall be questioning as to why they feel the need to do these when they didnt do them 10 years ago when my daughter started school.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

• 3 months later...

I realise this is an old thread, however as l work within social care l can give one main reason for such visits, and this is to enable teaching staff to view the home enviroment in respect of how the child is likely to re-act to the classroom enviroment i.e. a child living in a flat with no real space to play etc is more likely to 'go wild' in a large area such as classroom, also a child who's home or due to parents finances is not able to provide a child with required stimulation will go into overdrive when having access to the items within a classroom.

Hope that helps a little

Not really, Essexbaas.

It's about control and manipulation.

My wife (just over the NHS 'disposible' rule) had a stroke six weeks ago, followed in quick succession by another, then another and finally a fourth.

She finally got a bed on a mixed ward (which included a male 'wino'), never saw any medical practitioner more senior that a House Officer, the hospital lost her prescription for anti-coagulant medication, her GP 'forgot' to obtain

much needed physiotherapy, but otherwise everything's lovely in this benighted state of ours.

Vandermerwe

P.S. She did have an early home visit from a social worker with a clip board, and to her eternal credit told her, politely but firmly, to Foxtrot Oscar.

It doesn't matter what they say the visit is for - there is no obligation to allow these fence-peepers into your home.

I find myself thinking sometimes that the Highers Ups must run out of sheer cheek at some point; then reality hits me in the face again with a big hammer. They're never going to run out of sheer cheek, and the more we let them get away with it, the more they'll want to know.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Well my son starts "proper" nursery in September and we havnt been told of such a thing, it is more than likely to check that you live where you say you live, but they can check that on the electoral register anyway.

I would ask for a reason why and for the consequences if you refuse, tell them you work and can only do it later on on a Weekday or at a weekend and see what they say.

Personally i think at best it is an invasion at worst another "big brother" action by local government

Well I have to say that I have changed my mind a bit on this, we did the home visit, the teachers came, didnt look around the house but Monkey did drag one of them off to show her a toy that he likes, they wanted to know about the Monkey, not anything else, it is nothing to worry about, of course it may be that they are actually checking to see whether you live where you say you live, but i dont have a problem with that

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled