• Tweets

• I had exactly the same issues.   Grossly over estimated bills from January onwards.  Despite what they claim, they are effectively taking an interest free loan from their customer base to keep the company in business.   They can dress it up how they like.  It’s irrelevant if they reconcile the bills the following month because they just over bill again thus keeping a rolling interest free loan.   it took two months of constant badgering to be finally moved to a fixed DD.   Once that was done I didn’t care how much they over-estimated by.   I had raised a query with the ombudsman over the billing fiasco and they readied a complaint should I wish to proceed.   I thought everything was sorted until May/June whereby I was allegedly more in debt then I was expecting to the tune of an extra months DD.   On querying it, it transpired that even though I was on a fixed monthly DD, because the bill was generated less than 5 days before the DD was due to be taken they didn’t take the DD.   They offered £5 compensation by way of apology but wanted to take two months DD in June.  I told them where to get off.   With appalling customer service,  bills that you need a Maths degree to follow, and I do have one and still struggled, inability to follow through on any agreements, constant gross over-estimation, the missed DD was the final straw and I proceeded with complaint to ombudsman.   Prior to getting to that stage I had to quote Symbio’s own complaints procedure to them to get any sort of response.   Their final offer to me was £25 goodwill and to waive an exit fee. The offer was derisory given the time it had taken to get things sorted and the continuing ineptitude.  Also, the whole thing has dragged on so long (5 months) I was already in the final 49 days of my contract and therefore there were no exit fees to pay and therefore nothing to waive.   Anyway, upshot is, ombudsman found in my favour.  Ordered an apology and a goodwill payment. Symbio appealed but were told the decision stood.   This week I received the goodwill payment.   I promptly left an honest and truthful review on trustpilot.   The next morning I received an email from Symbio with an apology.   This was followed an hour later with an email from trustpilot saying Symbio had replied to the review.  On reading the response they have accused me of not following procedure and of cyber bullying.   The company is a complete joke.
    • why not simply tell you supplier they have the wrong meter number you been paying for usage , and ofcourse you can view this online too so its not as if you'll owe anything you might get a nice surprise and find you are owed a refund.
    • The world of ballroom dancing went online to cope with the pandemic restrictions, but what does the future hold? View the full article
    • I would add, many companies have done everything possible to manage and carry on in difficult Covid19 circumstances to supply customers with what they need.   Continually making excuses for delays is not what I'd want from an installer and maybe the £100 deposit is not so important.   Get this deposit back if you can but, more importantly, find a local installer recommended by family or friends to carry out the works.
    • Hello all,   I hope you can assist me, as I am quite lost and confused at the moment.   Two years ago I moved to my actual flat. Throughout this time I have been with EDF first and now EON. When I moved in, my landlord didn't quite know which one was my meter and I picked the one that I believed was mine (now reading you I know I should have done a burner test..). During this time, I have been paying my bills and submitting the numbers that I believed mine, which actually agreed with my consuming patterns.   Today, all the meters appeared with numbers, but the one next to the one that I was using, which appeared with a different flat number. As you might have guessed, none of them had my flat number. I have just made the test and it looks like that one may be mine.   Now, how should I proceed? I have been paying bills is not like I wanted to avoid paying, but clearly there has been an issue. Could you please advice me on how to proceed?   Lastly, in terms of meter serial number, the one that I was using matches my bill and I guess my neighbor bill. The additional doubt I have is, who is paying for my meter and why are they still providing me with gas if no one is paying the one that seems to be my real meter.   Many thanks!    
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

mattbee vs. Nationwide

Guest mattbee

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4802 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Guest mattbee

Well hopefully not too much of a fight but we'll see I guess. As of today, my credit score is apparently no longer sufficient for them to renew my overdraft facility. They say they want 250 quid back within two weeks. I say, let's have a look back at six years of bank charges then :mad:

Have finally got all my statements filed and ordered, and will start the process on Monday, I think I have about 1200 quid's worth - will keep everyone up to date here.

I've got a parachute account almost opened, as I understand I'll get my two accounts closed by going through with this.

Hello mattbee!

..I've got a parachute account almost opened, as I understand I'll get my two accounts closed by going through with this.
Very recently, Nationwide have been recalling any O/D that a Claimant has got + getting their 'In-House' Debt Collection Dept. to put duress on the Claimant by threatening Court Action, DEFAULT NOTICES etc etc if the Claimants 'debt' to Nationwide isn't paid asap.

They 'flag' the Claimants Flexaccount, block Online access to it + insist on the Claimant returning their Debit Card + Cheque Book to their local Branch.

It has been a couple of months since Nationwide have actually 'Closed' a Claimant's Flexaccount.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

(Jules Winnfield)

how on earth do you deal with all that? ive startd the process(mon11th prelim sent) but im having great diff getting another bank acc,tsb declined me and im waiting to hear from co-op(applied 1 week ago) as to wether they'l accept me,my credit rating is poor coz of defaults and im seriously worried that n/wide will just pull the plug and ill be left with no account.im still determined yo get my charges back(£1600)but am also concerned about the lack of banking facilities,im on this site reading as much as i can so hopefully that will help.

chris

Hello chrisk7!

DON'T PANIC!

Have a look at the following links...

http://www.checkmyfile.com/content/downloads/2006%20Banking%20and%20Credit%20Card%20Survey.pdf

Bank Accounts

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/13832-do-you-need-parachute.html

Please remember that a Bank will leave a footprint on your Credit Report when U apply for a Current Account with it, whether your application is successful of not.

Too many application footprints (...within a 6 month period) will indicate to the next Bank that U apply to, that U are a credit risk.

This will make it even more unlikely that a future application, with a different Bank, will be successful.

It is much better to research which Bank is likely to accept U BEFORE U make any inappropriate applications for the type of Current Accounts which might be beyond your 'Basic' type one.

FWIW...

I know someone who obtained a Basic Current Account from the CO-OP, who had 17 Defaults on their Credit Report + who had had several addresses over the past few years.

They were just required to provde ID + a couple of Utility Bills etc.

The Account had Online Banking, a Cash Card + DD/SO capabilities.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

(Jules Winnfield)

HI MTM,thanks for the advice,Ive read those links thats why i applied for the co-op but after a week im finding it hard not to panic,i phoned them y/day and they said my app was still in process,dont kno wether thats good or bad!!ive applied for my credit file(!)but if i get declined by the co-op am not sure what the freakin hell ill do,PANIC coz thats one thing im really good at!:)

chris

...PANIC coz thats one thing im really good at!
I didn't know Corporal Jones was a 'scouser'?!

...Well...U learn something NEW everyday don't ya!!!...lol...:D

(Jules Winnfield)

givin your age away mtm!!!!!and "scouser"???? im a merseysider!!!!!!!ANYWAY enough frivolity,ive got panicing to concentrate on if you dont mind,:p

chris

..."scouser"???? im a merseysider!!!!!!!...ive got panicing to concentrate on
Always thought New Brighton/Southport/St. Helens was where PanicKing took place.

...Sure 'Merseyside' is in England btw??!...lmao...:D:p

(Jules Winnfield)

now your just bein facetious!!!!!(sp)ive had a couple of wines what do you xpect with all the stress im under?! and like i said before. . . . . . your bloody everywhere on this site!!!!! it should be renamed. :p:lol:

• Haha 1

chris

Hope mattbee doesn't mind U hi-jacking his Thread??!...;)

"Wine-top"...Is that what 'scousers' are drinking nowadays??

Thought they were well 'ard + supped pints of Kouros like the Russians?!...lol...:D:p

BBC NEWS | Health | 'Aftershave drink' kills Russians

(Jules Winnfield)

Guest mattbee

Well to bring the thread back on topic I've spent a wild Saturday night in calculating what's due from all my old statements - £930 without interest, or £1107.18 with the 8% statutory. I'm not too worried about getting a parachute account with Barclays as my company banks with them and we keep a decent float in there most of the time. Letter will go off on Monday, will let everyone know how it goes.

Well to bring the thread back on topic...£930 without interest, or £1107.18 with the 8% statutory... Letter will go off on Monday.
Sorry for the Hi-jack...:oops:

...'Twas the 'Creme de Old Spice' chasers!...lol...:D

Have U considered Claiming CONTRACTUAL INTEREST instead of the s69 Statutory Interest???

...Cos it's advisable to mention it at the Preliminary Letter stage if U are!

(Jules Winnfield)

how on earth do you deal with all that? ive startd the process(mon11th prelim sent) but im having great diff getting another bank acc,tsb declined me and im waiting to hear from co-op(applied 1 week ago) as to wether they'l accept me,my credit rating is poor coz of defaults and im seriously worried that n/wide will just pull the plug and ill be left with no account.im still determined yo get my charges back(£1600)but am also concerned about the lack of banking facilities,im on this site reading as much as i can so hopefully that will help.

I'm sure that my credit rating was sub-zero when I needed to change bank accounts in a hurry - I blundered into the local HSBC feeling terrified of getting turned down, and found out that they do a 'basic' account that runs purely on a hole-in-the-wall basis without access to cheque book/card or overdraft but you can still have DDs and SOs going out of it.

They went through the application process with me and gave me an answer on the spot and to be honest with you it's been a life saver for me - I haven't been overdrawn by a single penny for over 2 years now. It's been a rough and bumpy ride back for me but I think there's finally light at the end of the tunnel - I just have to hope it's not an express train heading my way!

[COLOR=magenta][COLOR=purple]Moorcroft DCA - CCA Requests (x2) sent 06/01/2007, 1 x CCA supplied and payments being made, one account passed back to Royal Bank of Scotland. Regal Credit demanded immediate payment in Nov 07, sent away with a flea in their ear as RBS is in breach of CCA.[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=magenta][COLOR=seagreen]Anonymous postcard from FCM Jan 08 can only be connected to this RBS farce![/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=magenta]Meritforce reported to TS, ICO, FOS and Ofcom April 07 for harassment and breaches of Data Protection Act over a debt that was paid more than a year ago! dec 07 ICO finally agree that DPA was breached but say that the law does not allow them to take any action![/COLOR] [COLOR=royalblue]Roxburghe DCA - CCA Request sent 06/01/2007, Unable to comply letter received 14/01/07.[/COLOR]

I too have a terrible credit rating due to 5 defaults.

I tried to open an account with the co-op , but was declined.

I then tried the yorkshire bank , who accepted me and I also was given a meastro debit card. Was told that if I kept my account in line for next 6 months then there was a good chance that my account would be upgraded , so i could have cheque book facility aswell.

Guest mattbee

Well Nationwide tried to call me this evening while I was out walking the dog - I'm prepared to make a response however they like, but have any other Nationwide (ex) members had similar calls, so I know what to expect?

hi matbee,

a friend of mine has had the same thing happen,the bank said it was a "customer service" call to see if they could resolve rhe matter sooner and easier than going to court,my friend said she didnt want to discuss it,and told them to put anything they wanted to say in writing,that way there is at least documentation to show anything that is offered or "threatened"ie:acc closures etc.btw how did you go on opening another bank acc?any luck/

chris

I have a pretty poor credit rating but have recently opened an account with the natwest, its a basic account but i have a debit card, dd and s/o.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mattbee

Okay so at the end of last week I received a boilerplate reply from Nationwide explaining that I'd agreed to the charges when I'd signed the Flexaccount terms & conditions.

I wrote back on Tuesday (so they should have this today):

Thank you for your reply earlier this week.

I am naturally disappointed that Nationwide chooses not to refund its members charges that are imposed as a result of illegal penalty clauses in its contracts. Such clauses are made illegal under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. I am therefore left with no choice but to advise you that I will be lodging a claim for these charges in my local small claims court on 11th July, which will include further interest and court fees.

I am aware from other ex-members that Nationwide sometimes chooses to close accounts of members who insist on claiming back such illegal fees. While I appreciate Nationwide has not suggested anything of the sort at this stage, please be aware that I am fully prepared to take such a retaliatory account closure to the Financial Ombudsmen Service who recently imposed fines and compensation against the Alliance and Leicester for breaching its obligations under the Banking Code. I do not wish to go to the small claims court, or to the FOS, and would ask that the society considers that, in view of the many refunds it has made to other members, and the potential breach of its obligations to the FOS in relation to other members, that it quickly refunds my fees.

I look forward to your prompt response.

From others' experiences it looks like I will have to spend money going to court, but maybe I can avoid my account being closed, or even short-cut their normal response with a little preliminary sabre rattling.

I've had a bad credit rating for years but managed to open an account with alliance & leicester with a cheque book & debit card. I done it all online and it only took about a week. This was the first thing I did before starting the whole process of reclaiming.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mattbee

Well they're well overdue responding - I just couldn't justify blowing £120 on the filing fee until pay day. So now it's come round and I'll file tomorrow - I heard about the test case and the possibility that my local court will defer, but hey ho... the principle still stands, I'll happily let them rack up more interest if it takes six months longer than expeced.

Although the account isn't open yet, I have "been accepted in principal" for a Step (basic) account with Natwest, you can pay DD, SO, internet/telephone banking, Solo/Maestro card. The returned DD charge is extortionate at 38 quid, but then they all are when we know it costs about 2! Anyway, might be worth giving them a go.

I was also accepted for HSBC, but just had to go into a branch with the documents and my credit rating is low, so they may be worth a try too. Basically if you aren't interested in credit facilities, you should have a chance with one or two. Might be worth going into one of the banks and making an appointment with the manager and tell him the situation, I'm sure they could work something out by giving you a risk-free account and they gain a customer that they can charge the ass off whenever they miss a DD. See, they benefit too, for the moment. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mattbee

I finally filed last Monday and yesterday received a letter from Nationwide concerning the OFT test case. They are applying to stay the case, and York are apparently staying most cases as a matter of policy. So I will start looking into objecting to the stay (because I'm still being fined illegally, because I'm now £120 down), and seeing if we can proceed as before.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mattbee

Well it's now 1st of September. My filing notice from the court say that Nationwide had until 31st to reply, and I've not heard anything yet (though I suppose the court might have done). So, if I don't hear anything on Monday morning, am I in a position to file for judgement?