S&L vs A&L

SamandLaura

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks

I started the court proceedings against A&L through Money Claim online and my claim was considered served on Tuesday. Yesterday we got a copy of the notice from A&Ls solicitors indicated that they wished to defend the claim in full.

However this morning I got a letter direct from A&L with a cheque enclosed for a small percentage indicating that as a gesture of goodwill etc etc they enclosed a cheque for the difference between their charge and the £12 charge the OFT consider fair for credit cards etc. As well as paying for my court fee (providing I agree to abide by their t&cs thereafter).

I consider this 'offer' insulting considering all the money they have taken from me over the years and the hardship it has caused me and want to go for all of that claimed (inc. interest). I am worried about standing up in court, but will do it if necessary.

However, I am concerned that a court might throw out my case given this latest offer as A&L might claim that they have made a 'reasonable' offer to me to resolve the issue amicably and a judge may agree.

Is this standard practice with A&L now, to offer a smaller sum as a carott to avoid stress? What do you guys think? should I return the cheque and go for them all guns blazing? I really want to but I wanted some reassurance really that people have been in this situation and succeeded?

Thanks

Hi SamandLaura,

Offhand, if you look through the A&L forum there are many threads at roughly the same stage as you (I'm slightly ahead of you in time scale)

RE this paragraph from your post..............."Is this standard practice with A&L now, to offer a smaller sum as a carrot to avoid stress? What do you guys think? should I return the cheque and go for them all guns blazing? I really want to but I wanted some reassurance really that people have been in this situation and succeeded?",

I received the same small type offer (in cheque form) I cut it in five pieces, laminated it, photocopied it and sent it back the A&L with polite refusal letter from the bank templates library, job done!

I can tell you that you will get all the help you will need from the other GAG members (I have) to help you see your claim through.

Dont accept derisory offers (my opinion of course) "GET" the biggest gun you will ever have into fighting mode................"your brain"..........aim it at the A&l, pull the trigger and get your cash back.:)

All the best in your claim - William

Thanks William. Reading yours and the other posts on this forum I am slightly reassured.

However, had A&Ls defence in the post this morning from their solicitors. Obviously their standard text for such things but its a fairly bulky document going on about 'administrative' not 'punitive' charges again and 'in accordance with the t&c's accepted by the claimant' and the same old retoric really just beefed out with lots of legal jargon - evidently designed to strike the fear of God into us! Time to get my own ship in order I suppose and start collating what I need off this forum for my case.

So things are starting to happen quite quickly now which is good but isn't it slightly worrying that A&L have responded so quickly since the claim was served on Tuesday?

Not the kind of organised approach I have come to expect from A&L!!

From reading a few threads recently, A&L do appear to be acting more swifly now but, don't worry about it, they know we all frequent forums and will swap notes, so just another tactic I'm sure to try and frighten us into giving up:rolleyes:

You'll get loads of help on this forum to help you on your way and the vast majority of A&L's/Wragge's correspondence is standard, so we've all received the same.icon7.gif

A-Z CAG links to all documents you'll need for

your claim

(Thanks to Michael Brown for all his efforts)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html