Jump to content

best strategy for BT complaint?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all to everyone in such a fab forum, hope you can help with advice on how best to resolve my BT complaint.


This may take some time, will try to be brief.


In Dec 06, BT dropped my broadband connection (tech error on their part), so couldn't use for almost two days. I rang to complain, they automatically gave me a month free - cool enough I think.


In Feb, my connection ground to a sloth's pace, less than an old 28.8k modem, despite being on their max product. I rang up, was told was a line fault and would be repaired ASAP. Two days later, no change, called them (dreaded Indian call centre of course), they denied ever saying was a fault, treat me like an idiot and never listened at all, just kept repeating their script. Cue getting more and more frustrated, had me doing allsorts, restting router, sitting at test port, all the time I had to keep calling back, and even though they 'escalated' the call, my questions and complaints fell on deaf ears. At this point, after something like 5 days, and about 15 hours speaking to around 6 or 7 folks, no increase in performance but a distinct depreciation in my patience.


They agreed to send an engineer out, taking more time off work, then all he did was turn up & state I was wasting his time, he could only test the port. His solution was buy a router and a new extension cable, all he was interested in was proving the test socket worked. I should add at this point the test point is in the master bedroom, I work from home, and don't fancy having my router plugged in behind my wardrobe, wireless or not...


So, my problem persisted, had even more hard work trying to get to bottom of things as they said it was working fine. I bought a new router, but still slow speeds - threatened to bill them cost of new router - but still got no joy with dealing with the Indian call centre, so stated I didn't want to speak with them anymore as complete waste of time.


Summary at this point - approx 42 hours on phone to over 15 people, been told lies on 3 different occasions, encountered a frankly abusive engineer visit my house and argue with me, and at no point did anyone seem concerned.


So I started my complaint again - even had Emailed them through website 3 days into my complaint, but still awaiting a response ! - and eventually managed to get another engineer out. He was fantastic, very eager to sort the situation out, and rebuilt my test socket, made a proper extension (should be noted nothing had happened to my set-up since inception to suggest decrease in speed) and things seemed okay. BT also claimed some techinical magic at the exchange has sorted my problem, so much so my speeds seemingly were restored approx 17 days later. They even promised to send a new router, although had to chase this up twice as the order apparently wasnt processed the first two times.


So, I'm ready to send a proper complaint in & I get my quarterly bill - approx 270, threatening suspension if I don't pay (had cancelled DD to give me some leverage). I rang them to explain, they offered two weeks to resolve my complaint, and would contact me to settle - in the interim agreed I would pay my bill once complaint settled, but certainly left it as an action for them to contact me next. Guess what, they cut my phone off wiothout any further contact! Next went my internet, still without any contact about my complaint. I clearly said back in March (before the two weeks review time was agreed) that I didn't want to pay bill until complaint settled, and listed all my basis of complaint - cost in calls, being called a liar, a racist, loss of earning staying at home, time etc - outweighed the cost of the bill.

If two days offline was worth a month free BB, think it's fair to suggest my troubles are worth more in compensation.

So I called them this week, they escalated my complaint - after lying to me again saying I'd promised to pay by cheque (though I don't have a chequebook?) and that's why they cut me off. So they offered me £8 and a month free. No dice, said I wanted to escalate, promised call back within 4 hours from manager. Some 28 hours later I was offered 100 final offer, again I refused. Next day, next level up manager rang me, made same offer.

At this stage I said I was going to what I promised all along,write to CEO and state my complaint in full, detailing what I require as a settlement - basically, a written apology, an auditable investigation to every stage, compensation to outweigh the March bill (270) and restoration of all my services.

As I write this, I'm waiting for yet another 'senior' manager to call me to resolve. What bothers me most is that their is no continuity or ownership, every time I speak have to repeat my issues, then they ask me what I want! I'd much rather get a call along the lines of saying, " we know your issues, we want to sort this, and offer you this".

So, any advice how best I can actually resolve this, I really feel my patience at this time has worked against me......


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will come a stage (you might already be there) that they will see no point in negotiating further and service will be permanently removed. You had to take the pragmatic approach, since BT control the line if BB access is important, your ability to connect can be seriously compromised - unless you can hop on to WiFi from a neighbour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

AS Buzby has said, they wil just cut you off

I'm suprised the DCA haven't got your account yet thats what BT did to me.

I have just won a battle with BT and I know how frustrating they are. YIu get passed from pillar to post with someone new everytime you make contact.


Good luck, but get something else in place if you need the phone, as they will only probably offer you Pay as go if they cut you off plus a reconnect fee.

I went to the Phone CoOp for my line rental instead



Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...